Transfer Deadline Day: Michael O'Halloran signs until 2020

Let's get real about this. If you had the choice Ajax or Doncaster Rovers, who would you sign for?

I'd assume that he was still a youngster when that choice happened by ... and with that age some decisions are not as straight-forward as one might think. That said, I have no idea about the standing of the Doncaster (or in his case Watford and Villa) youth team with regards to developing youngsters for EPL teams etc..

BTW, lest we forget (and despite what some people may think), we still have David Templeton as an option for the title run-in.

Let's get real about this. If you had the choice Ajax or Doncaster Rovers, who would you sign for?

Whether that particular decision is true or not is a moot point -- never mind that we don't know the individual circumstances: it can be difficult to leave friends and family at a young age to play in a foreign league. The point is, if Ajax saw enough in him to give him a trial then surely there is something there? Such are our standards, that a failed Ajax prospect could be a decent fit for us. Warburton has worked with him several times before, and obviously sees something in him. I'm willing to trust that the manager knows what he wants in a player, and obviously Forrester possesses that quality.

Again, a 6-month contract to display what he can do is a decent option. If it doesn't work out, then nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Harry Forrester will be a star again if he is reunited with Mark Warburton at Rangers, says ex-team-mate Martin Woods

ROSS COUNTY ace Woods played alongside Forrester at Doncaster and hopes feeling wanted at the Light Blues can help get the winger's career back on track.

MARK WARBURTON is ready to show Harry Forrester the love he has been missing after being frozen out at Doncaster Rovers.

And Martin Woods believes the winger can repay the man he worked with at Watford and Brentford by finally fulfilling his potential at Rangers.

Ross County ace Woods played alongside Forrester at the Keepmoat Stadium where he has been out of favour under gaffer Darren Ferguson.

Ibrox boss Warburton is set to rescue Forrester from his Yorkshire misery by making the 24-year-old his first signing of the January transfer window.

He was highly-rated as a kid and Aston Villa paid Watford £250,000, potentially rising to £1million, to sign him at the age of 16.

Forrester helped the Midlands side win the FA Premier Academy League but, after a loan at Kilmarnock, it didn’t work out and he moved to Brentford.

He has spent the last couple of years at Doncaster and midfielder Woods hopes feeling wanted at the Light Blues can help get his career back on track.

Speaking to Record Sport Woods said: “Harry didn’t get a regular game when I was at Doncaster and seems to have found himself out of the picture.

“I reckon being left out of the squads could be the boot he needs for him to get the bit between his teeth to go and show everyone exactly what he’s got.

“Rangers could be getting a really hungry player and a guy out to prove a point, and in Mark Warburton a manager who believes in him after working together at Brentford.

“Mark obviously believes he can get the best out of him and that might be what Harry needs. He can deal with pressure. He’ll take the ball and he’ll be able to go and do a bit; and playing at Ibrox won’t affect him at all.

“I was at Doncaster for six-and-a-half years but left after I was out injured for two years. I was going to go to America but the club asked me to go back on a short-term deal and I agreed to sign month-to-month contracts.

“It was during that time I played with Harry for about four months but he was in and out of the side even then. I don’t know why. He’s got a great pedigree and his ability isn’t in question.

“If he finds that level of consistency he can kick-on but that’s the hardest thing to do in football. It takes more than just ability in football and I’m guessing some managers maybe felt he could improve on other aspects of his game.

“I’ve seen a lot of wingers in the lower leagues in England and if they could marry their workrate and ability they would all be at the top level. When I was at Sunderland we had Julio Arca on the left wing and he worked really hard.

“But I’ve played with a lot who haven’t done that and they’ve found themselves down the divisions. I wouldn’t like to say Harry falls into that bracket because I didn’t play with him long enough to judge him to that extent.

“I’ve played with so many wingers in my career and you know they can completely change a game for you at the drop of a hat.

“Harry’s got that in him. He’s not lazy, however, at Doncaster he’s maybe got frustrated at his lack of game time.

“With the ability he’s got he should definitely be involved at Doncaster right now. I can understand his frustration but some managers are just after different things and maybe Harry doesn’t meet what Darren Ferguson wants.

“The good thing about the Scottish Championship is Rangers will have the ball most of the time so Harry would be able to go and show his full ability while his defensive duties might not be required as much.

“In the Championship and League One in England it’s a real battle, it’s defending and attacking. But I’m sure Harry would make a big impact in the Scottish Championship because he’s got the tools.

“I do believe if Rangers are playing a higher standard of opposition then Harry might have to look at the defensive side of his game and workrate. That’s not a criticism because it’s what is said about almost every winger.”

Kenny Shiels used his contacts to get Forrester to Kilmarnock when Mixu Paatelainen was in charge at Rugby Park and the Ulsterman knew instantly the youngster had talent.

Now at Derry City, Shiels said: “Harry’s a wide player, a willow the wisp-type player. He’s not the best finisher but mobile and has good dynamics.

“I suggested him to Mixu through connections I had at Aston Villa. I touched based with a contact there and they recommended him. I spoke with Mixu and we got him in.

“It was hard for him at Kilmarnock because we had the likes of Craig Bryson and Liam Kelly. You could see he had potential. He wouldn’t have been at Aston Villa if he didn’t.

“The English Premier Reserve League was a million miles off the Scottish Premiership at that time in terms of physique.

“All of those players take a wee bedding in period and he spent that period with us.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/harry-forrester-star-again-reunited-7095144

I'd assume that he was still a youngster when that choice happened by ... and with that age some decisions are not as straight-forward as one might think. That said, I have no idea about the standing of the Doncaster (or in his case Watford and Villa) youth team with regards to developing youngsters for EPL teams etc..

BTW, lest we forget (and despite what some people may think), we still have David Templeton as an option for the title run-in.

I would very happily welcome Templeton back especially if MW explains to him that he doesn't have to beat the entire opposition team every time he goes on a run.

I dont think I am ready to declare Warburton a master in the transfer market just yet. For the successes in Holt, Wes & Tav, we have failures like Kiernan, Wilson, Zelalem. You can add in giving Miller a new contract as a major error in management.

I cannot just give a nod and say this guy knows what he is doing in picking out a 24yo with zero to show for his career, from a mid-table 3rd tier English nobody club. It just doesnt add up. How many will this guy add to the gate? Zero.

Uninspiring.

I dont think I am ready to declare Warburton a master in the transfer market just yet. For the successes in Holt, Wes & Tav, we have failures like Kiernan, Wilson, Zelalem. You can add in giving Miller a new contract as a major error in management.

I cannot just give a nod and say this guy knows what he is doing in picking out a 24yo with zero to show for his career, from a mid-table 3rd tier English nobody club. It just doesnt add up. How many will this guy add to the gate? Zero.

Uninspiring.

Don't think you can blame him for Wilson;think that was a done deal pre-W&W.

I would very happily welcome Templeton back especially if MW explains to him that he doesn't have to beat the entire opposition team every time he goes on a run.

Funny how you are writing potential signings off without seeing them,and ones who have only been at the club 6 months, yet willing to give a player who has been a failure since he signed yet another chance!,just don't get your logic.

just don't get your logic.

Not many people do, Ian.

But in this case, I've seen Templeton play and know what he can do. Plus he had a decent career with Hearts at the level to which we now aspire and is still only 26 so he can do it again.

Forrester's career, such as it has been, appears to be on a downward spiral and I think the answers are there for all to read in the DR article.

Not many people do, Ian.

But in this case, I've seen Templeton play and know what he can do. Plus he had a decent career with Hearts at the level to which we now aspire and is still only 26 so he can do it again.

Forrester's career, such as it has been, appears to be on a downward spiral and I think the answers are there for all to read in the DR article.

Templetons problems don't lie in his ability , they lie in his head and his heart , both are weak and suspect, I would let him go

Not many people do, Ian.

We have all seen him play and I would guess the majority would consider him a failure,he has had enough chances and I for one will be glad when he leaves,I would rather see any of the youth players,Walsh springs to mind,getting more game time than him