David Weir...

...insists attacking football at Rangers is set in stone under Mark Warburton

DAVID WEIR made a fantastic career out of stifling opponents and being hard to beat.

But now he insists there is no chance Rangers will change their cavalier style.

The 45-year-old prides himself on his defensive record as a player, which included three consecutive titles with Rangers and reaching the 2008 UEFA Cup Final.

However, he now shares Mark Warburton’s football philosophy and insists the Ibrox club will never go into a game just trying not to lose, whether it’s the Championship, Premiership or the European arena.

Weir said: “We will always go and try and win a game, rather than try and hold back and sneak it.

“It’s not the way Mark or me is made. It’s not a criticism of anybody else, but sitting in is not the way we will coach or manage or run our football clubs. It’s just not in our nature.

“You live by the sword and die by the sword and, in our experience, working together, it has been really successful.

“In England we got promoted from League One and went into the Championship and people told us we would have to change the way we played, but we didn’t and we achieved relative success there as well and we are doing it along similar lines here.

“You are constantly evaluating yourself and your team through the season. The fundamentals will remain the same but game to game you have to be trying to improve.”

The 4-3-3 system operated by Warburton and Weir has earned Rangers 13 league wins out of 14 and sees them five points ahead of Hibs at the top of the table.

The former Scotland defender would love to be playing in such an attack-minded team – although maybe when he was much younger.

He said: “It would be pretty challenging. I think it depends on whether I was 21 as opposed to 41!

“I’d have enjoyed because it’s about having the ball and taking a step forward rather than step back.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/619494/David-Weir-insists-attacking-football-at-Rangers-is-set-in-stone-under-Mark-Warburton

Sometimes what you expect and what you get turns out to be the opposite...

When McCoist got the job my thoughts were he'd move towards attack because that's how he played.

Now Sir David the defender promotes attacking football.:)

When McCoist got the job my thoughts were he'd move towards attack because that's how he played.

That was my thoughts too! McCoist loved scoring goals so it was quite baffling to see him turn out that turgid pish. even worse when he continued it when we were in the bottom division.

still, it does seem that strikers who move into management seem to play defensive , whilst defenders seem to prefer attacking!

McCoist simply wasn't up to the job whichever way you want to look at it.

When you see a Rangers starting XI this season which includes only one player who played last season(Wallace) that speaks volumes.

Thankfully we now have a management team we can have confidence in. The team may still be W.I.P but the improvement is there for all to see & we're at last heading in the right direction

Edited by RANGERRAB

McCoist simply wasn't up to the job whatever way you want to look at it.

When you see a Rangers starting XI this season which includes only one player who played last season(Wallace) that speaks volumes.

Thankfully we now have a management team we can now have confidence in. The team may still be W.I.P but the improvement is there for all to see & we're at last heading in the right direction

McCoist was a big time damp squib unfortunately, these things happen and can stick in the throat until success follows...we find ourselves in the limbo position right now and can only hope W&W deliver...so far all things are positive and looking good.

Defeats in 'important' games are our Achilles just now (just my opinion) and once we get a season under our belt then we can look at the whole picture.

I fancy us for the Scottish Cup this season, but I'm optimistic.

McCoist was a big time damp squib unfortunately, these things happen and can stick in the throat until success follows...we find ourselves in the limbo position right now and can only hope W&W deliver...so far all things are positive and looking good.

Defeats in 'important' games are our Achilles just now (just my opinion) and once we get a season under our belt then we can look at the whole picture.

I fancy us for the Scottish Cup this season, but I'm optimistic.

Damp squib? That's a kind description of him IMO. He was found out time and time again in the lower leagues by managers of teams on a fraction of the budget he had.

He kept his job(& the ridiculous salary) because the previous unpopular board were effectively using him as a shield to protect themselves and wouldn't get rid off him. That was unsustainable & eventually he left when the results & performances became so bad there was no alternative.

My biggest worry is that our support are expecting too much too soon of MW & SDoW and the team they've assembled since the start of the season. As I said in an earlier post there's only usually one player in their starting XI from last season & there's certainly 2 or 3 positions still needing strengthened most notably up front. Getting a striker of the calibre we need won't be easy with the money we're likely to have to spend though. You need only look at the money the yahoos have wasted on strikers these last few years to see what I mean.

Edited by RANGERRAB

Weir says Warburton has caught Rangersitis

... and it’s infectious

CHARLES GREEN once claimed he had a bad case of Rangersitis.

So much so that he’d eventually end up in THAT hospital bed.

But just like his Glasgow stay, the former chief executive’s symptoms didn’t last very long.

Indeed, he would make a miraculous recovery — and make Rangers the sick man of Scottish football before he left.

Over the summer, Mark Warburton was given the job of nursing the club back to health.

Now, according to his No2 David Weir, Warburton has also been bitten by the bug.

Yet unlike the fever which allegedly gripped Green, this is good news for all Gers fans.

Weir revealed that Warburton is so consumed by all things Rangers that he hasn’t seen his family for four weeks. He’s eating, sleeping and breathing a club he has taken five points clear in the race for the Championship title.

Why? Because he now understands and appreciates what Rangers means to so many people right around the world.

Weir said: “I would be lying if I said in the last three or four months he has not realised the significance of the job and what it means, and the importance of the job and how many people are desperate for it to be successful and push on.

“There comes a pressure from that but it’s a good pressure.

“He has learned that from meeting supporters and working here. Mark has not been home for three or four weeks because it’s never-ending.

“You get wrapped up in it and it can take over your life.

“When you leave here you see it, when you go to the petrol station you see it, when you go for a coffee you see it, and then obviously when you’re at Murray Park you see it.

“So it’s not something you can switch on and off very easily, but that suits Mark because he is a hard worker and he likes to get his teeth stuck into a project.

“This is a massive project and I think he has realised the significance of it and the size of it and what it possibly can be.

“I think he has realised the significance of the club and how much it means to so many people and the importance of it.

“In Glasgow you can’t get away from it. When you are not in Glasgow you just hear about it but when you are here you are living it every day.

“But he’s also had the benefit of not having that sort of involvement. He can come in and make business and football decisions without the baggage we all have because we have been involved in it and know what it is like and are sometimes waiting for things to happen.

“He does things on a level playing field, which I think is a positive thing.”

Of course, as Warburton and Weir do their bit on the park, controversy rages off it.

This week SunSport revealed that Mike Ashley is taking the SFA to court, calling for a full judicial inquiry into their decision to pass Dave King as a fit and proper person.

That bombshell came just a week after it emerged the Sports Direct supremo is trying to throw the Gers chairman in jail.

But Weir insists NOTHING will detract the management team in their quest to return the club to the top-flight.

He said: “It just goes with the territory at a football club. We can only control the football side.

“We are trying to build the football side back to a level, get the academy kids in the team, get good players for the fans to watch and good teams together that will win football games.

“There is always going to be issues with football clubs and Rangers is no different because of the relatively recent past.

“Issues will be flagged up. Our job is to get the fans talking and thinking about football and the team and getting on the back pages for that and trying to use that as a positive message.

“Our job is to get the football department into a position where these other issues become secondary.”

Weir believes the sooner they are back in the SPFL the better. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, after he guided Molde to back-to-back Europa League wins over Celtic, claimed the Parkhead club are suffering because of a lack of domestic competition.

Weir said: “I can understand that. When I first came, Rangers and Celtic were very competitive and both in the Champions League.

“You can argue but I think everybody realises Rangers and Celtic being competitive and pushing each other also pulls everybody else on.

“If you have that competition and that level of interest you will attract better players to make better teams and better teams give you a better chance in Europe. If you are doing well in Europe then you know you are competing at a good level.

“I understand his point but you can also see the other side of it as well.”

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/rangers/6743588/Weir-says-Warburton-has-caught-Rangersitis.html

From memory the yahoos have done pretty well when it comes to strikers...right now they have the best in the country in Griffiths though it pains me to admit it. Previously they had Hooper who was also prolific, again it pains me to admit it.

where have they wasted their money?

The problem the yahoos have is more to do with their defence I think, they've got big bucks recently for a couple of players who don't play up front leaving their whole side exposed, except up front thanks to Griffiths.

Edit: I should have quoted Rab in post #6

Edited by Bearman

McCoist only tapped the goals in: he had no notion of how the ball should be moved to create the chance in the first place IMO. Defenders, like Guardiola actually, have a need to defend, but also need a greater awareness of the bigger picture, and an understanding of how the ball has to be moved, and how players need to react to it etc. IMO it is no surprise that defensive-type players have a greater understanding, and therefore better managerial performance, than a striker that merely taps the ball into the net at the end of all the hard work.

McCoist only tapped the goals in: he had no notion of how the ball should be moved to create the chance in the first place IMO. Defenders, like Guardiola actually, have a need to defend, but also need a greater awareness of the bigger picture, and an understanding of how the ball has to be moved, and how players need to react to it etc. IMO it is no surprise that defensive-type players have a greater understanding, and therefore better managerial performance, than a striker that merely taps the ball into the net at the end of all the hard work.

Saying Ally merely tapped the goals in is grossly unfair.He may not have made a good defender or midfielder but he knew how to play up front.He could work defenders,bring others into play and score all manner of goals.He was first class IMO.