David Weir...

Saying Ally merely tapped the goals in is grossly unfair.He may not have made a good defender or midfielder but he knew how to play up front.He could work defenders,bring others into play and score all manner of goals.He was first class IMO.

He was an outstanding forward, but even if he could work defenders and bring players into play, my point still stands: defenders and midfielders need greater game awareness -- forwards are very focused on one aspect: scoring goals -- and therefore it is no surprise IMO that they make better managers.

He was an outstanding forward, but even if he could work defenders and bring players into play, my point still stands: defenders and midfielders need greater game awareness -- forwards are very focused on one aspect: scoring goals -- and therefore it is no surprise IMO that they make better managers.

Thats a fairer description of Mcoist.I do get your point,but I think its too much of a generalisation imo.

Terry Butcher-Alex Ferguson?

Thats a fairer description of Mcoist.I do get your point,but I think its too much of a generalisation imo.

Grossly unfair? 355 tap ins? Slag ally as the manager not the greatest goalscorer in our history (never to be beaten ) ally was a poacher not a defender or a midfielder and out and out poacher. When he became manager he learned from Walter and the three years Walter came back, we won three titles in a row it with parking the bus. Although we celebrated it was awful to watch especially at home to dunfermline and st mirren ect....

It is a generalisation, and there are exceptions -- because there are many more variables involved. I was merely responding to the presumption that forwards make more attacking/successful managers: IMO it's the other way around -- for the reasons stated. I did a rough tally of where the 10 most successful managers played during their playing career: 4 were defenders; 4 midfielders; and 2 were strikers. It is a generalisation, and there are exceptions, but I think it holds true.

Edited by Rousseau

Little general must be right then Scott. Have a squint at rangers leading goalscorer's...

The Herald obituary gives JS 381 goals. Probably includes Glasgow Cup, Glasgow Charity Cup and wartime games. Rangers Hall of Fame gives him a "huge tally of goals including 300 in both peace and wartime league matches."

Either way, it doesn't detract from the point you make about Super.