Alex Mooney: Rangers use of EBTs is indefensible but end this hate fest...

"No man in the country is under the smallest obligation, moral or other, so to arrange his legal relations to his business or property as to enable the Inland Revenue to put the largest possible shovel in his stores. The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue"

The words of Lord Clyde, Lord President of the Court of Session in a tax case in 1929.

One of the widest quoted when it came to defending tax avoidance. A very good one too imo. The introduction of GAAR earlier this year sees that statement redundant.

From the day I started working until the day I retired I never claimed any annual allowance mate. My employer paid me a salary. The government took their cut . I got what was left.

Your employer claimed it on your behalf. Ergo, you claimed your annual allowance through your PAYE Tax code

I never knew he was a Rangers fan.

I did a little hunting around Ian and it would appear the chap is not a bear. He penned "The witch-hunt that shamed Scotland" article for the Rangers Standard a while ago.

http://www.therangersstandard.co.uk/index.php/articles/current-affairs/196-the-witch-hunt-that-shamed-scotland

Edited by boabie
Got it wrong.

Everyone avoids tax by claiming their annual allowances. Is that morally indefensible?

Yes. That's exactly the same as the sort of high risk, high value tax avoidance schemes we're talking about.

Insert confused smiley here....

Anybody that does not bend the tax laws is stupid or a liar.

Pete, I would like to think I am neither. Not only have I not done it, I have never tried it. To be honest the opportunity just didn't ever rear its head. As said earlier I earned a wage and the government took what was theirs and what I was due got handed to me in a pay poke.

Pete, I would like to think I am neither. Not only have I not done it, I have never tried it. To be honest the opportunity just didn't ever rear its head. As said earlier I earned a wage and the government took what was theirs and what I was due got handed to me in a pay poke.

Almost every person in the world has things that you claim tax back. If you have never done it then you do fall into one of the two categories,

It's a difficult one. I condemn Multinationals like Starbucks, Amazon and Google for paying little or no Corporation Tax, but I still use them. Jimmy Carr was widely condemned for tax avoidance and quickly withdrew from the scheme. We will probably all have a good gloat if Neil Lennon has to repay HMRC after using his tax avoidance scheme.