Fulham target Mark Warburton

Fulham have been rebuffed four times since Symons was sacked in November, with Birmingham’s Gary Rowett the latest manager to reject them

Mark Warburton is the latest target for Fulham after the English Championship club respond to their latest recruitment setback, Telegraph Sport understands. The English Championship club have been rebuffed four times since Kit Symons was sacked on November 8, with Birmingham’s Gary Rowett becoming the latest manager to reject their advances.

Rowett followed former Leicester City boss, Nigel Pearson, and Steve Clarke of Reading in declining a move to Craven Cottage. Now Fulham have turned their attention to Warburton, whose Rangers side can restore a three point lead over Scottish Championship rivals Hibs with a home win over Dumbarton on Tuesday.

Warburton saw his players reach the Petrofac Training Cup final with an emphatic 4-0 home win over St Mirren yesterday (Sat). The final against Peterhead offers him the chance to steer Rangers to their first trophy win since the financial meltdown at Ibrox in 2012.

The possibility of a league and cup double and a return to the top flight of Scottish football after four years in the lower leagues is a powerful inducement for Warburton to stay. Moreover, Fulham’s 1-0 home defeat by Preston North End yesterday kept them two points below Brentford, whom Warburton quit last season after differences of opinion with owner, Mark Benham.

Another obstacle might be the fact Fulham’s search for a replacement for Symons is being driven, not by Alistair Mackintosh, CEO at Craven Cottage, but by Mike Rigg, the club’s chief football officer, whose role includes identifying and negotiating signings. Warburton has already linked up again with Frank McParland, who moved to Ibrox from Burnley as head of recruitment two weeks ago.

On Friday, the Rangers chairman, Dave King, promised that Warburton would have money to spend in the next transfer window with an eye to the long-term. “It is really not as much about winning the league this year,” said King.

“The identification of players in January would be based on our prospects for the year after. We would have to bring in players we thought were going to compete next season strongly in the Premier League and already looking towards Europe.”

Warburton, though, has repeatedly urged caution in reinforcing the current Ibrox squad in the New Year. I think we have got it right up until now,” he said.

“We have always said that after Christmas you have got to add one or two because you will get fatigue, the niggling injuries, the yellow cards and suspensions so it is about just getting the balance. What you don’t want to do is to be leaving here to go to a game on a Saturday with six, seven or eight boys who aren’t even involved in the squad.

“For me, that just kills any unity or harmony. You can’t see a pathway to the first team and you train hard all week. That’s an issue.

“Good players want good players coming in. There is no doubt about that. People who lack belief in their ability are wary of a signing coming in but a good dressing room wants to see quality coming in to make them better.

“It is about the balance. If you are going to look to bring in five or six or seven players in January then it can be dangerous. The league programme is going on. In June or July you have got pre-season.

“You have got six or seven weeks to bed players in, bond as a group, go on trips. You have got time to manage the group.”

Asked if he could see Rangers bringing in a marquee signing, especially if they should be overtake by Hibs by New Year, Warburton said: “I don’t think so. You look at some of the massive money signings that have happened, these big time flops as they have called them.

“A marquee signing is somebody who comes in and adds value and makes an impact. I am sure people wouldn’t have heard of some of the players we brought in. I am sure in June and July the Rangers fans were asking: ‘Who are these guys?’

“Now they can see they are tremendous. It is about does a player who comes in add value and make an impact. Those for me are marquee signings.

“Unless you are at the top of the Premier League down south you’ve got to be very astute with your signings, do your homework, do your due diligence and hopefully, you will get it right.”

Might be more in this than previous speculation given the bookies seem to be taking it seriously.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/fulham/next-permanent-manager

Now Fulham may or may not want MW but the more important question is does MW want Fulham.

I would hope not.

Fulham aren't the most attractive proposition just now so I doubt Mark would want to give up his project here so early for them

We have always said that after Christmas you have got to add one or two because you will get fatigue, the niggling injuries, the yellow cards and suspensions so it is about just getting the balance. What you don’t want to do is to be leaving here to go to a game on a Saturday with six, seven or eight boys who aren’t even involved in the squad.

Has this always been said?

I seem to recall that previously the line was about signing a player in January if he would help to challenge for the top league when we get back.