Warburton to Fulham?

I think at the moment the Rangers job is far more attractive to this particular manager than a Championship one for a few reasons. At the moment he has a free hand to what he is doing and has the job security to have time to do a job. I think he can see that he can really do a good job at Rangers, that notwithstanding the satisfaction of that, will make him very marketable to solid Premiership clubs, which is where I think we will eventually lose him.

Right now he's not done THAT much to put him in the shop window and is really more of a shrewd punt than anything. That made him perfect for us with the timing, and also perfect for the likes of Fulham. However, a big Premiership club is unlikely to take the risk as his track record is not long enough.

Other problems with a Championship club is that it is a very difficult league to get it right in as there are a lot of club speculating to accumulate, and then paying for it if they don't succeed, then their place of profligacy is taken by others. It means if you keep your finances sensible, you're already at a disadvantage. Then there is the job security - sackings are rife in that league, and the owners can be more interfering, as he found out at Brentford. He could therefore fail due to no fault of his own, get sacked and no longer be attractive to other clubs, and have to start again down the divisions.

Rangers would not be so attractive these days to many managers, but it's a fit for Warburton. He realises he's at a massive club, despite the paltry finances compared to the EP. He can probably see he has some space to develop his own skills, with a different type of pressure - a more enjoyable one, the pressure to win every game, rather than say just survive above the relegation zone. He has been able to bring in his own choices of staff at every level, which is probably slightly unusual.

The standard of opposition isn't great but there is the allure of Europe which is not something he'd have much of a chance of for the type of club that would be interested in him.

The board and the fans are 100% behind him, and he knows he will get funding when it is required. There is fun to be had at Rangers and I think it looks better for him if he finishes the job - at least his 3 year contract, and leaves on a high as an SP champion with a decent European run.

Calscott

For a club to see MW as a good fit and for them to get real on-going benefit, they must be prepared to allow him time and control to set-up and develop the football operation as he and his team want.

If MW maintains his MO it reduces realistic/constructive options for him significantly in an increasingly impatient sector (in England).

Moyes was/is similar in some respects. He became Everton manager at a time when generally more patience was shown with managers and over some years he established them as a top 6 club but his methods make him a difficult fit today. He did have a good relationship with the Everton owner which was very important and it's worth noting that the EPL today has many impatient foreign owners that want everything NOW or are desperate for short-term points to avoid the drop.

If MW sees the project he has set out on at Rangers as achievable then I'd expect him to turn down any job offers like Fulham.

I think MW was sold the Rangers job as a medium term project with further options.

He will have seen the potential for growth, room for upwards trajectory, room for improvement within 'footballing operation' etc and with his old traders eyes, will have effectively seen a stock worth buying into and with potential for 'profit'.

The way I see it, is the most important issue for MW is that he doesn't see significant 'barriers' being put up or arising that could impede on the success of the project. If he did, then just as when he was a trader, 'timing' is everything.

The difficulty is that the money in England is so much more. I don't mean for his wage but for players he can afford to buy. Even in the Championship they can leave Rangers financially in their wake.

I think MW was sold the Rangers job as a medium term project with further options.

He will have seen the potential for growth, room for upwards trajectory, room for improvement within 'footballing operation' etc and with his old traders eyes, will have effectively seen a stock worth buying into and with potential for 'profit'.

The way I see it, is the most important issue for MW is that he doesn't see significant 'barriers' being put up or arising that could impede on the success of the project. If he did, then just as when he was a trader, 'timing' is everything.

Agreed.

Regarding the piece in bold....At this point in time it seems to me that any "barriers" being put up are coming from MW himself. That isn't a negative statement on MW, just that DK has said funds will be made available in January and we may need to get 4 or 5 players.... meanwhile MW seems to be saying "thanks Dave, but I don't want that funding as I want to keep the harmony of the squad and with lean numbers".

So it seems to me that if anything the Board are cutting the brake fluid line whilst MW is applying the handbrake - again, not a bad thing - to MW it should be seen as a positive that even though he doesn't wish significant funding at this point that the Board are saying "We want to be challenging for the Premier league title, not just the current Championship".

MW should be pleased at present with what the Board seem to be offering :thup:

Fulham on Rangers boss Mark Warbuton: We have NO interest in making him our next manager

THE English Championship club are on the lookout for a new boss but according to a club spokesman – it won’t be Warbs.

FULHAM have today insisted they have "no interest" in making Mark Warburton their next manager.

The Rangers boss is the bookies’ favourite to take over from Kit Symons, who was axed by the English Championship side last month.

Speculation grew further earlier this afternoon when the second favourite to succeed Symons – Gary Neville – landed the Valencia job, seemingly clearing the way for Warburton to return south.

But the Craven Cottage outfit are adamant they do not want the former Brentford boss.

Radio Station RockSport approached Fulham for a member of their club to go on and speak about Warburton.

But the Cottagers flatly refused, telling the station: "We are reluctant to provide a spokesperson from the club for RockSport’s Talking Football Programme as we have no interest in Mark Warburton and do not wish to add to speculation."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-rangers-boss-mark-warbuton-6940638

Fulham on Rangers boss Mark Warbuton: We have NO interest in making him our next manager

THE English Championship club are on the lookout for a new boss but according to a club spokesman – it won’t be Warbs.

FULHAM have today insisted they have "no interest" in making Mark Warburton their next manager.

The Rangers boss is the bookies’ favourite to take over from Kit Symons, who was axed by the English Championship side last month.

Speculation grew further earlier this afternoon when the second favourite to succeed Symons – Gary Neville – landed the Valencia job, seemingly clearing the way for Warburton to return south.

But the Craven Cottage outfit are adamant they do not want the former Brentford boss.

Radio Station RockSport approached Fulham for a member of their club to go on and speak about Warburton.

But the Cottagers flatly refused, telling the station: "We are reluctant to provide a spokesperson from the club for RockSport’s Talking Football Programme as we have no interest in Mark Warburton and do not wish to add to speculation."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-rangers-boss-mark-warbuton-6940638

The only thing I took out of the above...... Gary Neville at Valencia :shock:

Cathro was there last year was he not

I think (and hope) this Fulham statement means that they have put feelers out and Mark has told them "no"

Aye but Cathro was assistant manager - it is a very different expectation when you are the head coach, which is what Neville's appointment is. All of the glare is on you, not the assistant - Cathro, to a large degree, would have been under the radar.

I'm surprised that Valencia, given their reputation, have gone with an effectively untried manager.