Rangers v Hibs, thoughts on big game mentality

Tavernier's and Wallace's final ball into the box has recently been woeful. Although to be fair at times there is little to aim at. Let's hope for a big improvement against Hibs.

Hammer, nail on the head. Regularly we are landed with 2 or 3 in the box against 7 or 8. With our defence leaking to the long ball I suppose the other players are weary of pushing too far up. Also other teams see we struggle at the back against 1 or 2 lone strikers and are happy to sit deep until their strikers can get on the end of a long ball. Kiernan is very weak on a 1 against 1 and tackles like a fairy to be honest. I think that is what Warburton meant when he said we need more physical players. I would think a more physical CB and a more physical striker will be on the menu. I think Waghorn is struggling by getting moved about. He should be in the centre with Miller coming from a wide left position. Miller as main striker is a waste of space.

Edited by pete

Can't agree here pete. What is evident is that Holt, Law and McKay are not the physical but the technical guys ... who happen to be brushed off the ball (usually in tackles that would see a free kick being awarded anywhere else in Europe). Standing next to Ball and Kiernan, Tavernier doesn't look to be that physical either, nor do either of our CH look "weak".

The point about lacking players in the box wasn't so evident early in the season, when we played fast attacking football which caught the opposition flat-footed or out of position. Now, we a) have dropped that pace and b) the opposition has adapted. They all play football long enough. What we need, aside from another Waghorn-build striker, are attacking midfield creators who are not shy of a shot themselves. IF Law keeps his form from last week, he might have a good chance to play more often. Shooting from range was one of his strengths last season, if not to say his only strength.

Edited by der Berliner

Raman Bhardwaj ‏@STVRaman 3m3 minutes ago

Mark Warburton says he's more worried about what to buy the wife for Christmas than what Alan Stubbs has to say about Rangers

Andy Newport ‏@AndyNewportPA 4m4 minutes ago

Warburton also confirms Gedion Zelalem will return after a knock to face Hibs on Monday. Bell and Templeton remain out

Raman Bhardwaj ‏@STVRaman 3m3 minutes ago

Mark Warburton says he's more worried about what to buy the wife for Christmas than what Alan Stubbs has to say about Rangers

Andy Newport ‏@AndyNewportPA 4m4 minutes ago

Warburton also confirms Gedion Zelalem will return after a knock to face Hibs on Monday. Bell and Templeton remain out

Haha. Thats bound to wind up big Stubbsy...

After listening to the manager press conference it seems he never said this,mischief making?

Yeah, I've watched it too. I think one or two members of the press are attempting to massage what was said to fit a narrative