Rangers v Hibs, thoughts on big game mentality

I'm not sure whether Hibs can actually handle this as good as some make out. We played them before, but by now it has culminated in a real "fight" at the top. They get pressure like hell from their support and the media, in front of a packed and hopefully rather vocal Ibrox too. It remains very much to be seen how they can handle that.

Same goes for us, even though the 50k are on our players' side and our folk are expected to win anyway. But somehow I'm mildly confident that - barring ill-luck and shocking-refereeing - we'll snatch all 3 points and move on from there.

In life we don't know which way it can go - we know they'll be well up for it but as always that can mean they play out their skins or it makes them nervious and under pressure, which can mean their bottle crashes. Or something in between.

At the moment, the same goes for us. This is one of those games the players can't NOT be up for as it's obviously important - but then so was the last one as we lost our points advantage. Our players got off to a flier, played good football and got the fans excited. That took the massive pressure that playing for Rangers can bring, off their shoulders for a bit. Now it's starting to bear down and some of them will be really feeling it properly for the first time.

We have to hope that they can cope with it and deliver the required result.

I think the most disapointing thing of the two games that we lost is that we dominated the games and had more chances and really that should have been enough to gain a draw both times. That would have put us four points ahead still which is a big difference. We don't seem to have that ability we used to have of at least grinding out the draw when a win is just not on the cards.

For a split second ... imagine how all these tense moments of the promotion chase might be thrown out of the window should the SPFL manage to push their plans for an expansion of the top tier through before next season. Okay, split second is gone. Back to the here and now!

Warbs changed things up the last time we played hivs and theres no chance hes respectfully telling his players behind closed doors that there are no big games.

I truthfully think we'll beat them next week, even if we dont look at the fixtures they have coming up it's us - raith twice - falkirk - st. mirren and then st. johnstone, nothing easy. Their momentum, or luck rather, is about to get wiped out ....or i certainly hope it is :lol2:

Stubbs is in the paper and news every day trying to play mind games. He thinks he's Alex Ferguson!

When Hibs get beat it's everyone else's fault!

Rangers better come out all guns blazing! Centre backs should not play so hight up the pitch so they can't try long balls into space.

If we keep it tighter at the back don't get stupid ref desicions going against us we can put 3 or 4 past these idiots!

It is vital we get our tactics & team selection right for the Hibz game. We need to start scoring more goals again.

The GK &back four ar more or less decided with the only decision being Ball or Wilson at CB.

In MF I'd like to see Haliday, Holt, Law & McKay out wide supplying two strikers. I'm no fan of Miller or Clark but they're all we've got at the moment. I've not seen enough of young Hardy to say whether he should play or not. We urgently need at least one top notch striker next month if we're to go up as champions.

I'd prefer Waghorn, Oduwa and Zalelam sat this one out. None are really contributing at the moment and I feel Law offers more of a goal threat than either Oduwa or Zalelam. Waghorn,despite the creditable number of goals so far,has shaded a bit and has become very much a hit or miss player at the moment. Mostly miss unfortunately.

Hibz are easily beatable. They're mediocre at best but they always look well-organised to me and if we do get our tactics & team selection right we will win.

Edited by RANGERRAB

It is vital we get our tactics & team selection right for the Hibz game. We need to start scoring more goals again.

The GK &back four ar more or less decided with the only decision being Ball or Wilson at CB.

In MF I'd like to see Haliday, Holt, Law & McKay out wide supplying two strikers. I'm no fan of Miller or Clark but they're all we've got at the moment. I've not seen enough of young Hardy to say whether he should play or not. We urgently need at least one top notch striker next month if we're to go up as champions.

I'd prefer Waghorn, Oduwa and Zalelam sat this one out. None are really contributing at the moment and I feel Law offers more of a goal threat than either Oduwa or Zalelam. Waghorn,despite the creditable number of goals so far,has shaded a bit and has become very much a hit or miss player at the moment. Mostly miss unfortunately.

Hibz are easily beatable. They're mediocre at best but they always look well-organised to me and if we do get our tactics & team selection right we will win.

Hopefully either or both of the full backs can get back scoring. At the start of the season they seemed to be scoring every other week but they have not scored in a while( I think).

We were scoring from all parts of the team earlier in the season now we are not and relying on Waghorn and Holt to score now.

Stubbs is in the paper and news every day trying to play mind games. He thinks he's Alex Ferguson!

When Hibs get beat it's everyone else's fault!

Rangers better come out all guns blazing! Centre backs should not play so hight up the pitch so they can't try long balls into space.

If we keep it tighter at the back don't get stupid ref desicions going against us we can put 3 or 4 past these idiots!

you're not right about Stubbs. Journalists ask leading questions then spin it into a challenge. Stubbs said so on a Sportsound last week. It's all newspaper 's "out to capture your dime"....Paul sang that !

The press will do that, I can accept that's what they do.

However when he states that he loves mind games as this article makes my point.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11792/10107752/hibs-boss-alan-stubbs-enjoying-mind-games-ahead-of-rangers-clash

Then he referred to Rangers stating you can deny it as much as you want but it's happening. In reference to our form.

The press may spin, but Stubbs enjoys mouthing off and he's not very good at it!

Hopefully either or both of the full backs can get back scoring. At the start of the season they seemed to be scoring every other week but they have not scored in a while( I think).

We were scoring from all parts of the team earlier in the season now we are not and relying on Waghorn and Holt to score now.

I don't think we can expect the FB's to continue to score as many as they were at the start of the season. Others need to contribute too. Also teams now know the threat Tavernier was having and he now gets marked as soon as he crosses the halfway line.