Rangers could face punishment over sectarian chanting

Some are gripped by an uncontrollable urge to mention the pope and the IRA.

I doubt any of the measures that people suggest will make a difference.

Yes, this is part of the problem - STB becomes a home for a battalion of the UVF, Follow Follow for Derry's Walls and so forth - even if Mack's suggestion were taken up the other songs are already re-written and would just become more so. Anyway, his suggestion won't be, it has been proposed all my life and still it goes on. (I am not a young man.)

Edited by SteveC
An unequal number of parenthetical markers

True many of these are knuckle draggers who blindly follow the Orange Order bands, and sing the same songs, also bringing them into disrepute as they either have no brains or are complete morons who do not care about their actions.

Billy Fulerton joined Oswald Mosleys"s fascists, and he set up a Glasgow branch of the KKK. For good measure he did time for wife beating, a real nice guy eh? Your not the only one who's family came from Brigton.

Most Rangers fans do not know who the song is about.

If you think for a minute that anybody ever gives Billy Fullerton a single thought when they sing that song or even have done for decades then you are seriously deluded. Generations have sung the song as a tribal anthem pure and simple (and I believe you know it all too well!). The song was a song of Protestant tribalism adopted by the Bridgeton Derry in defiance against the likes of the Carlton Tongs and the Cumbie. I'm not in the position of glorifying gangs but as someone originally from the Toll it still gives me great pride that defiance is what still allows the red, white and blue to hang proudly from the windows in that little pocket of Glasgow's East End surrounded by that mob on either side. So to make out it was sung in support of fascism or wife beating is just plain pathetic crap.

Some are gripped by an uncontrollable urge to mention the pope and the IRA.

I doubt any of the measures that people suggest will make a difference.

RS it makes no difference what we sing. Just a few weeks ago Gillivan and the others had us singing The Famine Song and were questioning why the police had not made mass arrests . When it was pointed out to them we were actually singing a song about the lads who formed our club there was not even a hint of an apology. They hear what they want to hear and would continue to be offended even if we stopped singing altogether. It has nothing to do with songs. These people want nothing short of Rangers being erased from history.

RS it makes no difference what we sing. Just a few weeks ago Gillivan and the others had us singing The Famine Song and were questioning why the police had not made mass arrests . When it was pointed out to them we were actually singing a song about the lads who formed our club there was not even a hint of an apology. They hear what they want to hear and would continue to be offended even if we stopped singing altogether. It has nothing to do with songs. These people want nothing short of Rangers being erased from history.

I have no idea how this relates to my post.

I have no idea how this relates to my post.

Here's what you wrote, " Some are gripped by an uncontrollable urge to mention the pope and the IRA. "

So what if they do ?

I don't do it myself but am still saying that anything our fans say, sing or do will still cause offence to the usual suspects - even where there is nothing to get bothered about . If it annoys the other side then more power to our fans who do it.