Nicky Law targets new deal

NICKY LAW hopes to discover sooner rather than later whether he will be at Rangers next season after holding talks over his Ibrox future with boss Mark Warburton.

The midfielder is out of contract at the end of the Championship campaign and is free to talk to other clubs over a Bosman switch this summer.

Warburton handed a new deal to striker Kenny Miller in November, while midfield duo Andy Halliday and Jason Holt put pen-to-paper on extensions until 2020 last week.

Law has started Rangers’ last three Championship fixtures against Hibernian, Dumbarton and Livingston and the 27-year-old is keen to earn himself a new Gers deal.

Law said: “I had a chat with the manager a week or two ago and expressed from my point of view that obviously I would like to stay. It was a positive meeting.

“The next couple of weeks hopefully there will be something regarding myself either way. We will wait and see.

“You want your future sorted. I have just had my first child so for me the biggest thing for me is the security. It is the same for everyone.

“As I say, either way, I would love to have my future sorted as quickly as possible.”

The arrival of boss Warburton in the summer has brought about an upturn in fortunes for Law as he has turned in a series of solid showings for Rangers this term.

The former Motherwell midfielder endured a nightmare campaign last time out as the Light Blues failed to win promotion to the Premiership at the first time of asking.

But Law is pleased with the progress that is being made on and off the park as Warburton continues his rebuilding job and the Light Blues edge closer to a top flight return.

He said: "There's a lot of positives coming out of the club at the moment. We have new players coming in and have built up a little bit of a lead at the top and the goals are coming.

“Everyone's confidence is sky high. For the boys who have been here for the past couple of years it has been really, really tough, but to see it now it's fantastic.

“The fans are back on side and it's good for Scottish football too because Rangers going back into the top flight is what everybody wants to see I'm sure. It's been good to see the changes in the last 12 months."

Law has played his part in helping Warburton’s side turn around their form in recent weeks after returning to the team following spell on the sidelines through injury.

The midfielder has made 17 appearances for the Light Blues this term as he has impressed in the middle of the park but he could soon have more competition for his starting berth as Warburton bids to bolster his Ibrox ranks.

Law said: "We feel the squad is more than good enough to go on and win this league. Obviously, the manager feels we need one or two more.

“That will only help with competition for places and at a club this size you need that.

“Hopefully, it will help us get over the line and get what we all wanted to achieve at the start of the season.

"There's a great team spirit here and we all know we're in it together and the long game for us is to win the title.

“The lads who aren't playing are disappointed, but come 3pm they are cheering us on. We are all focused on the goal. Any new boys will be welcome into the group.”

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/14210716.Nicky_Law_targets_new_Rangers_deal_after_talks_with_Ibrox_boss_Mark_Warburton/

Let's put it this way: if he keeps his form (and I would assume that MW makes sure of that), fair enough. One year with the option for another.

And for what's it worth, I would mind having Shiels around for another year too. Next to every time he came on this season, he sure made an impact. And he can play in various positions too, which may probably suit MW a well, while any new boy may profit from his experience.

Law's recent form has been pretty good and while I thought he was rather quiet for periods of the game on Saturday, he may be worth keeping depending on what kind of deal can be reached.

The problem with Law is that he's either very good or very poor and was definitely a let down last season. Do we take the risk of another year and, if so, how much is he worth to us wage-wise?

I like law he's solid and can bring goals but we've not had the best of Nicky I'm positive there's a lot more to come from him. Last season he was an automatic choice and he knew we never had anyone to replace him but under warbs he knows that isn't going to happen and will have to play really well to keep his place in the team..

Law's recent form has been pretty good and while I thought he was rather quiet for periods of the game on Saturday, he may be worth keeping depending on what kind of deal can be reached.

The problem with Law is that he's either very good or very poor and was definitely a let down last season. Do we take the risk of another year and, if so, how much is he worth to us wage-wise?

I don't see how you can say that.

Law was our top goalscorer last season, with 13 goals and had 9 assists in 54 games, how many players gave us a better return?

This season, he's been in and out the team with injury and Zelalem being preferred initially.

He's only 28 in March and has demonstrated the difference he makes in the last three games, not least the first half on Saturday.

Unlike Zelalem, he almost always passes forward.

If he gets a run in the team for the full 90 minutes, I believe he will become a regular scorer again.

He's also one of the very few players we have who is proven at SPL level.

He deserves at least 2 year deal with an option.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

Law was our top goalscorer last season, with 13 goals and had 9 assists in 54 games, how many players gave us a better return?

This season, he's been in and out the team with injury and Zelalem being preferred initially.

He's only 28 in March and has demonstrated the difference he makes in the last three games, not least the first half on Saturday.

If he gets a run in the team for the full 90 minutes, I believe he will become a regular scorer again.

Those stats are reasonably positive (especially goals scored) but stats don't always cover things accurately. His overall contribution wasn't great and he was inconsistent at best. The same could be said for his début season after a bright start to his Rangers career.

I did note his recent form has been good but I think Zelalem played even better than him against Cowdenbeath last week and thought Law was actually pretty quiet the other day. I'd consider them slightly different in style though as a rule - Law is certainly more effective in forward positions but Zelalem tends to look for the ball more than Law does.

Ultimately MW will decide if he's worth a new deal and I'm happy to put my faith in the manager who, so far, seems to be getting the best out of our midfielders by rotating them regularly.

PS: If you want to discuss stats, then I can recommend the Rangers Report site for some very interesting info on controlled zone entries and assists. Law and Zelalem's numbers are actually pretty similar in that sense. That's quite interesting if we consider the difference in age and experience - not to mention style of play.

Edited by Frankie

He was dross last year. Anyone can use stats to prove any point they like. Played the invisible man all season last season. Funny how all of a sudden he is playing well..... Oh aye, his contract is up and he won't get anywhere near the same deal elsewhere - go figure.

What happened to only signing players with sell on value? Diagouraga, miller and law all have very little chance of bringing in a fee at their ages

Warburton has never said "only bring in players with sell on value". He said that every player must have value - that is a different statement.

Value is measured in multiple ways.

I think we all see the need for a little bit of experience in the team so to suggest every player needs sell on value would count out the vast majority of experienced players, which would make little sense.