Barrie McKay - The boy who never gave up

Having worked at a handful of Division 1 games last season and the season before I managed to watch McKay on a few occasions and he never impressed. He looked lazy, disinterested and not a team player.

What a difference 6 months make though. He could be huge for us if he keeps his feet on the ground and has a good agent behind him.

Keep it up young man.

Looking back, one of the few positive things the old regime (board and football operation) did was to give McKay a 5 year contract or he'd already be elsewhere. His excellent form this season will certainly make his next contract heavier and I hope he gets it signed with us asap. At this moment in time, I'd rather have McKay with a new contract than sign O'Hallaron.

I never thought he'd make it. He just struck me as another frail Scottish lad who would drift but it now seems as if he has a steely determination and levels of application that suggest the real possibility of a good career to come. One thing that stands out for me is his bravery to keep showing for the ball, no matter the circumstances of the game, mood of the fans or if he is having a mediocre/poor game.

He also chooses his moments to try and get by defenders and isn't as predictable as some widemen. Then there is his balance which was illustrated the other night slicing through Morton and scoring the second goal with his right foot.

We could go on about composure, great goals etc but what is important for McKay now is that he keeps looking to improve in every way possible, that he develops up to the 'next level' and that the footballing operation at Rangers have modernised in a way to facilitate this.

edit

And regards the last point,......that the likes of Liam Burt and their advisors see an excellent footballing operation that will assist them in their career and make them more likely to want to join or stay at Rangers.

Edited by buster.

Looking back, one of the few positive things the old regime (board and football operation) did was to give McKay a 5 year contract or he'd already be elsewhere. His excellent form this season will certainly make his next contract heavier and I hope he gets it signed with us asap. At this moment in time, I'd rather have McKay with a new contract than sign O'Hallaron.

I never thought he'd make it. He just struck me as another frail Scottish lad who would drift but it now seems as if he has a steely determination and levels of application that suggest the real possibility of a good career to come. One thing that stands out for me is his bravery to keep showing for the ball, no matter the circumstances of the game, mood of the fans or if he is having a mediocre/poor game.

He also chooses his moments to try and get by defenders and isn't as predictable as some widemen. Then there is his balance which was illustrated the other night slicing through Morton and scoring the second goal with his right foot.

We could go on about composure, great goals etc but what is important for McKay now is that he keeps looking to improve in every way possible, that he develops up to the 'next level' and that the footballing operation at Rangers have modernised in a way to facilitate this.

edit

And regards the last point,......that the likes of Liam Burt and their advisors see an excellent footballing operation that will assist them in their career and make them more likely to want to join or stay at Rangers.

I'd rather have gave Liam Burt the chance than bringing Forrester up for six months but that's just my opinion...

I'd rather have gave Liam Burt the chance than bringing Forrester up for six months but that's just my opinion...

Difficult one as the boy is only 16. I know some players can make it at 16 but not many as most lack the physical strength. I think a run in the reserves is better for him to see how he develops. Better to let him walk before he tries to run.

Difficult one as the boy is only 16. I know some players can make it at 16 but not many as most lack the physical strength. I think a run in the reserves is better for him to see how he develops. Better to let him walk before he tries to run.

Let's hope he doesn't walk (away) Pete?....

Let's hope he doesn't walk (away) Pete?....

I don't think he will.

If he walked away... to Celtic... Would he immediately be in and around the first team ? The lad has, AFAIK, been given opportunities to train with the 1st team which is, in effect, the management saying to him "Son, this is the level you are capable of and we are giving you the opportunity to test yourself at the first team level, in training for now, but keep up the hard work and the next step is game time".

Would he have that same opportunity at Celtic ? The answer is that the lad has absolutely no idea. At least with a progressive manager who likes a lean squad and who has already said he wants the youngsters to have a pathway... he knows that there is a CHANCE of making the 1st team squad regularly.

Perhaps the biggest indictment of all & there are a few contenders, from the previous management team was the parlous state of the youth set up & scouting system after several years. It was always going to be our MO & lifeline back to greatness that we were going to build from the bottom up & be the beacon for opportunity for young Scottish talent. I say that only to highlight the magnificent job MW has done in so short a period of time to turn it around. It borders on genius IMO

Perhaps the biggest indictment of all & there are a few contenders, from the previous management team was the parlous state of the youth set up & scouting system after several years. It was always going to be our MO & lifeline back to greatness that we were going to build from the bottom up & be the beacon for opportunity for young Scottish talent. I say that only to highlight the magnificent job MW has done in so short a period of time to turn it around. It borders on genius IMO

Whilst I agree with your post I also believe we need to remember that it is not all of Warburton's doing.

The overhaul of the Academy was already being undertaken by Craig Mulholland who, somewhat fortuitously, has almost the exact same mindset on a player as Warburton does.

Mulholland is very highly thought of in the English Premier League too and we can be thankful that he believed that he had a project to work on at Rangers rather than leave for pastures new.