Carlisle thank Rangers in their hour of need

CARLISLE chairman Andrew Jenkins has thanked Rangers for helping his flood-hit club in their hour of need.

Jenkins put out a heartfelt plea for help to Scottish and English clubs after the SkyBet League Two side’s Brunton Park ground was submerged during Storm Desmond last month.

Sunday’s FA Cup fourth-round clash with Everton will be just their second match back on home soil following a costly clean-up operation.

Jenkins had asked for auction prizes for a Cumbria Flood Recovery Appeal dinner — an event that raised £14,000 — and the Ibrox outfit were among only a handful of clubs to help out.

The Carlisle supremo said: “I had written to a few clubs — the big London ones, Liverpool and Everton, Newcastle and Sunderland, the two Manchester clubs and Celtic and Rangers.

“Sunderland were the most generous, they sent three items, one of which was four tickets to their game with Man City.

“Everton sent some memorabilia to be auctioned and Rangers sent us something. But that was it. The rest of them never even bothered.”

Jenkins added: “I haven’t got much time for the Premier League at all.

“The money going into it is disgusting really — and the TV money coming in next year will make it even worse. It’s always going into players’ pockets.

“We have taken a player on loan on just £300 a week and he might play on Sunday. It just isn’t right.

“I think they could be a bit more generous to the smaller clubs.”

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/rangers/6894600/Carlisle-thank-Rangers-in-their-hour-of-need.html?CMP=spklr-_-Editorial-_-TWITTER-_-scotsunsport-_-20160129-_-SunScotSport-_-350384750-_-Imageandlink

I did start a thread at the time suggesting that as football supporters we could possibly help out but it didn't get any response.

http://www.gersnetonline.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?74440-Brunton-Park-Carlisle-Under-Water&highlight=

jvOmycil.jpg

I68i8ZZl.jpg

I still don't think it's too late but obviously at the time folks had other priorities.

Maybe a wee trip to Carlisle for a game would be a way to show support?

Gersnet Dinner first methinks.

Everton Fans Forum also set up a gofundme account and Everton Football Club donated £5000 in to it as well, taking the total to over £8.5K so far.

Everton (my prem team due to my dad's allegiance!) have been fantastic in their support so far.