Zelalem And The Interpretation Of A Role

The whole (very well written - thanks R) argument for Zelalem in this role falls down on its very principal. This metronome (hate these coaching manual phrases) position is supposedly to tictate tempo. The biggest fault in our game when we dont play well is our tempo. If GZ is in charge of tempo, then he has failed, spectacularly on some occasions.

Not "in charge of tempo" per se, but certainly needs to influence it, like many players. I agree it's not something that's been good consistently enough.

I said in the match thread I thought the first 45 minutes last night was his best yet in a Rangers shirt. His "tempo" was much quicker, his movement and availability was much further up the park. I nodded with appreciation when he even got caught offside on one occasion as it shows he is trying to learn that he needs to bring more to the party. Unfortunately the half time whistle was his undoing last night. The Raith manager (should I know who he is?) sussed him out and moved his midfield further up the pitch and completely negated GZ's influence on the game in one easy motion. His passing fell to pieces, his confidence disappeared in an instant, and he went back to hiding and was not available for the short pass anymore, forcing us to hit the long diagonal more often in the second half, leading to the hook after an hour. After such a promising first half it was all over 15 minutes later with the slightest of tactical tweaks from the opponents.

It's normal for a team to adapt and target/negate our tactics, so it can't be a huge failing GZ. I'd certainly like to see him overcome these tweaks to the opponents set-up, but that'll come with age and experience.

His role may be an important one for some sides. His individual ability to perform this role is so raw and prone to error that he is going to have to work so so hard on his game to have any chance of succeeding. Perhaps with the salary mentioned on here earlier in the week of around £1Mpa he already thinks he has made it. If so it will be his downfall, and I do hope this is not the case. He needs to add a bit of muscle as he is wiped off the ball and seems to go in the huff if he is tackled hard. Dont they know who he is? He needs to improve his passing accuracy. It is nowhere near where it should be for the simplicity of his passing. The stats may indicate a successful pass if it goes to the player, but when the pass should have been in front of the player, to the side of the player or just simply hit harder or softer, the stats dont tell the whole truth. The eye of the supporter tells you his passing isnt good enough. His shooting when he finds himself in forward positions isnt good enough. Even if he wont find himself too far forward when playing at a higher level, he will always have to make his way into the box at times with us given the defensive shape of our opponents, and this needs a lot of work.

I dislike the impression that these roles are not for us. They seem to be adopted by most of the best sides in the world, but they're not good enough for us? Do we really prefer the out-of-date, box-to-box players of the past, the ones that may give their all but lack any semblence of technical ability? To me, that is the reason Scotland and Scottish sides fail when we come up against better sides.

He's young, he makes mistakes, but I actually think he's quite accomplished for such a young man. He's got a good head on his shoulders, good game awareness and a deft touch.

I have seen some progression in his game at times, but like a lot of kids, is very inconsistent. Arteta was on a different planet from GZ. Absolutely night and day although he was older, more experienced and had a much better team around him. So not a fair comparison I dont think.

I think that's true. However, I believe Arteta played a slightly different role for us, whereas I was comparing his current role for Arsenal -- When he is fit! And, yes, was a better all-round player with better players around him.

If GZ ever plays 30 games in one season for Arsenal I will be utterly amazed. He has too many flaws in his game that would all need massive improvement to get to that level. Can he become a good pro, perhaps making the USA team, sure. But he wont ever be a regular first team pick for a rich, top club side IMO.

Again, he's 19. He's got flaws, but so has every player at that age. I understand some are more critical of them because he's not our player, and that's fair. But, I also think he has a positive influence on our team at his current level. I never suggested he'd walk into the Arsenal side today, but I think he could in the future; say, 3-5 years (and he'd only be 23). He needs to 'beef-up' substantially, but has the tools to get there. I think it's a bit short-sighted to suggest he "won't ever be a regular first team pick for a [...] top side".

BTW the "metronome" must be the easiest position in football to play going on Rousseau's excellent analysis. It's not fair to be judged by the tackles you make, the headers you win, the assists or goals you score, the goals you prevent, the opposition breaks you stop. You simply need to make 5 yard sideways passes all day long and always be available to recycle the ball, at the right tempo. Piece of piss!!

I did touch upon the fact that it's very difficult to quantify a Metronomes influence. How do we gauge Sergio Busquets' undoubted influence we he only make sideways passes and doesn't tackle? (I am somewhat restricted by a lack of proper data at our level -- even the Scottish Premiership lacks proper data.) I'd certainly suggest he needs to add all those things you've mentioned to his game, but IMO, his role doesn't demand it. And, it's more than just a need to "make 5 yard sideways passes all day long and always be available to recycle the ball, at the right tempo", but I suspect you're deliberately being obtuse.

some of the blame for his performance of late needs to go on the managers shoulders. He's playing him too far forward especially on tuesday, zelalem is better with the game in front of him

personally would use him as a deep playmaker rather than the point of the three

He's a good outlet further forward, making space and nicking balls into good angles, but I agree he could be decent further back.

I really think he needs better players around him as well; that would see us get the best out of him.

I'm quietly content at the response of the piece -- it's certainly made the rounds! I knew it was going to be somewhat divisive, but I hope I've not offended anyone by implying I know more about these things than you; I was annoyed at that accusation. Incidentally, how do people regard 'Do The Bouncy' forum? I'm not a member but they seem to have gotten hold of the piece, and have come to the conclusion that "I'm a pseudo-intellectual hipster demeaning the intelligence of normal fans"? I think it's insulting to suggest that the normal fan doesn't have an understanding of these issues -- even if they get frustrated at the new terminology that comes out every couple of weeks, which can be a little 'hipstery', I admit.

Apologies if I have offended anyone; believe me, it was unconsciously done.

Edited by Rousseau

Oh well, that's pleasing!

I've gone and looked now. There's one or two comments that are unfair on you. "Thinking we're all Luddites" or something..........don't think your analysis is that at all.....and looks like a minority view on there at a quick glance. You see a lot of things I don't so it's interesting.......keep up the good work !

Sorry but we are not going to get an end product out of Zalelam, Arsenal are, so I don't know why so much is being spoke about his development.

What we all want is the end product of promotion so let's concentrate on players here to give us that and beyond and worry about their development.

Sorry but we are not going to get an end product out of Zalelam, Arsenal are, so I don't know why so much is being spoke about his development.

What we all want is the end product of promotion so let's concentrate on players here to give us that and beyond and worry about their development.

Your helping to keep it going Mack lol...