Zelalem And The Interpretation Of A Role

I just felt that comparing his normal free flowing game when playing deep, I thought that Halliday found it harder to make space and hence made less impact in the more forward position; but there is no argument that he is one of our best players.

But that could be easily be down to the fact that Killie never allowed him any space due to them targeting him as one of the more dangerous players?.

At the end of the day we played well today and should have won,that's football,I was gutted we never won but I thought the whole team gave their all with no passengers,we were unlucky!,but it also shows we need to improve even more to be able to compete in the top league next season!, however I'm sure MW & DW are well aware of this,so far they have not let us down.

It is virtually impossible for any player to get up to speed in a game in less than 20 minutes and Law was only on the pitch for 17 mins; and yet he drove forward at every opportunity. This is in stark contrast to Zelalem who hangs about in no man's land waitng for easy balls. You are as blinkered about Law as you claim me to be about Zelalem.

Describing any Rangers player in those terms is bang out of order in my view.

Law drove forward ? When ? You make an excuse for him not getting up to speed yet said earlier he was a driving force. He didn't do anything of positive influence, yet you attempt to compare him to Zelalem who was our best player in the first half.

I'm not blinkered at all. A couple of months ago I admitted Law was playing well but it was masking two years of under performing and hiding. You, on the other hand, are absolutely blinded by Zelalem, as witnessed by your "grudgingly admit he played well" comment a few months ago. You showed your colors.

Zelalem waiting for easy balls ? Nonsense. He was our only midfielder first half that was attempting to make slide rule forward passes.... They didn't always come off but he was at least attempting them. You weren't watching him twisting and turning away from players or dropping the shoulder and going the other way ? The exact same thing you would laud Law for yet hang your hat on Zelalem playing backward passes.

I saw Zelalem drop to collect the ball today with a Killie player right on his back, he deftly chopped the ball sideways for Tavernier to stride onto.... And as I saw it I thought "I bet BH has counted that as a sideways pass".... And I'm sure I wasn't disappointed. As trublu says.... The number of backward passes mean little if backwards is the only option. But you simply can't get past your statistics which don't tell half the story.

I'm the first to admit Zelalem having a bad game. I don't play favorites, I simply call things as I see them. And, IMHO, anyone suggesting Zelalem was "dross" today is, themselves, talking dross. The lad had a fine game and was certainly more of a driving force than Halliday today.

Dry your eyes BH. When a player abdicates responsibilities then shitebag is apt. It is hardly that derogatory.

As regards Halliday, from what I saw today, he is much more effective coming from the deep position, than as an attacking midfielder, where he has far less time to play his controlled and accurate passing game. Holt and Law would be the attacking midfielders in my team. Ball is an excellent prospect at CB, play him there or not at all.

We have looked far less fragile at the back since Ball came into holding midfield. Warburton has to choose between defensive fragility or loss of control of possession. Tougher teams I can see him using Ball, weaker teams we don't need him as much at DM.

As for Law being in the midfield that's probably best left alone, but if he is the best option we have then we are in serious trouble.

We have looked far less fragile at the back since Ball came into holding midfield. Warburton has to choose between defensive fragility or loss of control of possession. Tougher teams I can see him using Ball, weaker teams we don't need him as much at DM.

As for Law being in the midfield that's probably best left alone, but if he is the best option we have then we are in serious trouble.

It seems to me MW is learning all the time!,which is very new to me as a Rangers fan!

As regards Halliday, from what I saw today, he is much more effective coming from the deep position, than as an attacking midfielder, where he has far less time to play his controlled and accurate passing game.

Yes, he doesn't look at comfortable or as effective as an attacking midfielder with his back to goal. Perhaps it's just rustiness in this position though.

Ball is an excellent prospect at CB, play him there or not at all.

Eh? Ball had a great game as a holding midfielder.

While I have my doubts that Zelalem will ever become a top class midfielder as there are too many flaws in his game for his age, I am astounded at those who thought he didn't put in a good performance in the first half. Finally, we are starting to see the boy listen to the coaching he is no doubt getting, and realise he has to contribute more than he was doing in a game. He was regularly further forward than we have ever seen him before, and was trying to find a pass to create a chance. His creative passing needs a lot more work, but no lack of effort yesterday and was the best of the midfield trio. Unfortunately, like at Raith, his second half failed to live up to the first and he was hooked, although Halliday was again anonymous in the advanced role and I am slightly worried about that. Ball was much better today at DM, although it was an easy shift given Killies lack of forward play.

I also noticed that when Holt came on in his place there was a noticeable increase in tempo and dare I say Law also contributed to that with his arrival in the 73rd minute. Now I realise that Zelalem and Holt/Law/Shiels are quite different types of player but it seems to me that Zelalem's somewhat laconic style slows the game down and despite his high pass completion rate, he does little or no damage to the opposition.

Talk of him in the same breath as Arteta is badly misplaced IMHO.

Thanks and thanks for taking the time.

I don't think the increase in tempo was because Zelalem went off, more because Holt came on. Holt provides more in the final third, more direct and willing to take risks. He is best (IMO) at finding space, so players were able to find him quicker.

According to Gersreport (I will use them as they can provide raw data), Zelalem was responsible for 44% of Rangers' shots, from primary assists and secondary passes. And, he was joint-second in controlled zone entries. These stats suggest he did in fact cause damage to the opposition.

I think we are better with both Holt and Zelalem: Zelalem dictating the play, recycling possession, and able to pick out Holt, who finds intelligent space and is willing to take risks in the final third.

I only talked of him in the same breath as Arteta (in his role for Arsenal, not for us) in the same way you can talk about Jonjo Shelvey and Xabi Alonso in the same breath: same style, same approach to the game, same role for their respective teams; but clearly Shelvey is nowhere near the same level as Alonso.

As regards Halliday, from what I saw today, he is much more effective coming from the deep position, than as an attacking midfielder, where he has far less time to play his controlled and accurate passing game. Holt and Law would be the attacking midfielders in my team. Ball is an excellent prospect at CB, play him there or not at all.

I think Halliday brings a more attacking threat from deep (long crisp passes and shots), but I still think he's lacking in his defensive game. Ball is obviosuly better at the defensive side of the game, but brings little offensively. I suppose we need to balance up what we need for individual games. I thought Warbruton wanted more steel and defensive cover for the Killie game, and so went for Ball in there.

I'd prefer Holt and Zelalem. Law and Holt are too similar in the sense that they play in the final third, which leaves us open in the middle. Zelalem takes up the space in the middle, so we have more control and a more disciplined approach. That would be my base, but of course, when you need to go for it, bring on Law to drive forward.

To give Law his due, we had more opportunities/half-chances towards the end of the game, but I felt we lost control of the game -- it was more gung-ho. The stats at GersReport suggest that our moves forward resulted in shots more often. (That has something to do with the stage of the game though IMO; it's certainly not the case when Law starts.)