Crowd for Saturday v Kilmarnock

Only got "lifted over once" was at Cathkin remember sitting on pitch due to size of crowd and Davy Wilson running into me when he scored one of his goals,shame what happened to "HiHi's"

That was my first ever Rangers game. I think I paid my 1s/6d entrance at the boy's gate. That was the day of the Cathkin break-in, first game of the season League Cup tie, when people climbed over car roofs to get over the wall. For safety reasons the police allowed kids like myself onto the pitch behind the goals to ease crowding. Each time Rangers scored, twice I think, we all ran onto the pitch to be chased off by mounted police. I was hooked on Rangers after that :rfc:

Only got "lifted over once" was at Cathkin remember sitting on pitch due to size of crowd and Davy Wilson running into me when he scored one of his goals,shame what happened to "HiHi's"

Last time I got lifted over was at Hampden and I was c.25 years old. I had been in St Vincent Street in a bar with a "double happy hour", already plastered when that started. I am only 5' 6", pal over 6 feet decided we should go to see Scotland. I have no idea now who we (as I called them then) were playing. We got more pissed and went. He had this idea that he should lift me over and we'd get away with it "cos you're as wee as a kid".

It worked, too, but I think that was more to do with the state of us - nae sensible bloke would come near us.

All I remember of the game was him battering me in the ribs and putting his hand over my mouth. We were in the tim-end enclosure and Scotland were struggling and brought Roy Aitken on. Apparently I went into a sarcastic rant about us "bring on the silky players to break down the defence with finesse and touch". Either that or "how is that big, thick, talentless prick going to help". It was one of those two.

Next time I was at a game with that pal I had a beard and he was fuming, he still thought it was his clever manoeuvre that fooled the turnstile man!

Edited by SteveC

Spot on Bruno! I just don't get that 45K can turn up for a league game but only 20-25K bother with a cup tie against a much better side that should be a much better game. I don't buy this scheduling nonsense, if we were playing Killie in the league at the same time live on to on Saturday the crowd would be 40-45K. We clearly have around 20K fans who believe their ST money is all they want to spend on our club. However if we had drawn the bheasts and the game was scheduled for the same day/time, it would be crammed full, so does that mean our fickle fans are only drawn to certain opponents and if so, why? As a Rangers supporter it matters not a jot who we are playing, it is OUR side I go to see, not the opponent. I have been to many games over the years where I can't remember who we are playing as I go through the turnstiles!

Some of our fans are indeed very fickle when it comes to game selection but others do need to pick and chose.

Perhaps there are other reasons why you can't remember who are we are playing but so long as you get into the ground and can find your way home, I guess it's fine.

What surprises me more than anything is the stories I hear about fans who get off supporters buses, go straight to the pub and never set foot inside the stadium, what's that all about? And the ones nicknamed the "subway loyal" who arrive late and leave with 5 or 10 minutes to go. There's a guy who sits near me who must have missed a dozen goals this season, including the winner against Falkirk; it's getting so we're encouraging him to leave in the certain knowledge that as soon as he does Rangers will score.

That was my first ever Rangers game. I think I paid my 1s/6d entrance at the boy's gate. That was the day of the Cathkin break-in, first game of the season League Cup tie, when people climbed over car roofs to get over the wall. For safety reasons the police allowed kids like myself onto the pitch behind the goals to ease crowding. Each time Rangers scored, twice I think, we all ran onto the pitch to be chased off by mounted police. I was hooked on Rangers after that :rfc:

I believe I was at that match as well. I recall the snake line at the "Boy's Gate", then sitting on the track beside the corner flag and having to move back as a police horse strode through and when Alex Scott needed room to take a corner. My recollection is that the crowd was around 45,000?

Health & Safety?

The 5-1 game at Cathkin is listed as a league match on 12 April 1958. The League Cup game was 3-0 on 30 August 1958. Not sure if the game we remember was either of those but I do recall it being a sunny day.

Some of our fans are indeed very fickle when it comes to game selection but others do need to pick and chose.

Perhaps there are other reasons why you can't remember who are we are playing but so long as you get into the ground and can find your way home, I guess it's fine.

What surprises me more than anything is the stories I hear about fans who get off supporters buses, go straight to the pub and never set foot inside the stadium, what's that all about? And the ones nicknamed the "subway loyal" who arrive late and leave with 5 or 10 minutes to go. There's a guy who sits near me who must have missed a dozen goals this season, including the winner against Falkirk; it's getting so we're encouraging him to leave in the certain knowledge that as soon as he does Rangers will score.

Where I am in the Copland front at half time their streaming out to go to the pubs. These are the guys who arent allowed to go for a drink after 90mins lol....

That's not Mr McCallum by any chance mate is it :fish:

In my lone game this season (you know... its kind of tough to get to games from 3,500 miles away....) we played Queen of the South..... was amazing how many people left with 5-10 minutes left - we were drawing 1-1 and hadn't dropped a point in the league till that point.... result ?? We won a penalty, Waghorn missed it, ball went wide, was crossed back in and Waghorn scored our 1st headed goal of the season.....

I don't get that you pay all that money for a game and don't see all of it.

I remember being in the enclosure for an OF game and the guy in front of me spent 90 minutes staring at the back of the stand because he was wasted. What a waste of money (though, to be fair, he got the best of it as Celtic beat us 2-0 with one of the goals coming from Charlie Nicholas...).

Insanity....

I once went to Easter Rd away back in the day on my supporters bus where the drink was flowing like no tomorrow.

I was only about 16 at the time and for some reason I got involved in the bevvy on the bus, we had this big 2 gallon plastic container at the back of the bus to avoid needless stops for a piss...made it to the park and Rangers scored midway through the 1st half 1-0 to the teddybears...fell asleep on the concrete terracing to be wakened up by my mates at full-time to learn the game finished 1-1...never heard a thing.

In my lone game this season (you know... its kind of tough to get to games from 3,500 miles away....) we played Queen of the South..... was amazing how many people left with 5-10 minutes left - we were drawing 1-1 and hadn't dropped a point in the league till that point.... result ?? We won a penalty, Waghorn missed it, ball went wide, was crossed back in and Waghorn scored our 1st headed goal of the season.....

I don't get that you pay all that money for a game and don't see all of it.

I remember being in the enclosure for an OF game and the guy in front of me spent 90 minutes staring at the back of the stand because he was wasted. What a waste of money (though, to be fair, he got the best of it as Celtic beat us 2-0 with one of the goals coming from Charlie Nicholas...).

Insanity....

Charlie Ridiculous ? Jing's that wasn't exactly yesterday. You've a good memory obviously

Edited by RANGERRAB