RFFF statement - youth development at Auchenhowie proposed

After initially dismissing the idea as nonsense, I've come round to it for several reasons:

* Having the facility to play and host U20 games, summer tournaments and various other development games has got to be a good thing.

* It raises the profile of the club at youth and development level and enhances our chances of landing young players

* Having the youth and development squads in their own area, gives the senior squad the run of the rest of the facility. (excluding gym, medical rooms etc)

I'm not against this proposal at all

but what guarantee is there that no such litigation or something like it may need to be fought in future?

You have a point, but then there are two potential answers to that.

The first is the club pays to defend it - which seems right and proper to me. The trophies belong to the club and the club should defend. The main difference now, is that prevously we could not trust the board to spend money on this.

Secondly if the club can't afford it, then all we need is another whip round. We raised the money last time so it should be easy enough to do so again if our trophies are threatened.

The point is that if we keep this money, as a just in case, for an unlikely scenario which will probably never happen, you therefore have this money sitting in the bank doing nothing, in perpetuity... That's pretty much the same as making the money disappear.

I think one solution could have been to put the money in a trust investment, and then spend the interest earned every year on something worthwhile. Why do we have to spend it all? Maybe this would only be say 20 grand but that could be useful for a good Rangers related cause - say a summer training camp, say half for underprivileged kids, and half for a programme or season ticket lottery for all kids.

But the decision seems to have been made.

is there a any chance that these 264 seats will be filled at anytime(ex.celtc) ? Is there an upsurge in fans going to these games?

Can anyone supply the names of those who made this decision?

Edited by BEARGER

is there a any chance that these 264 seats will be filled at anytime(ex.celtc) ? Is there an upsurge in fans going to these games?

Can anyone supply the names of those who made this decision?

It could give us an option to start a prestigious summer youth tournament...

Didn't we once have 20k at a reserve game for Durrant's comeback? Perhaps we could get 264 for Waghorn's...

Rangers FC SHOULD have a museum but it would apear that there may be some plans in that direction or atleast some plans to use EH for a community purpose which might include a museum.

I think the RFFF Committee are to be congratulated on bringing forward a good proposal which will provide a lasting benefit to the Club from the fan's contributions.

Obvioulsy there are a number of risks as have been highlighted and there would be no point in proceeding unless the Club undertook to maintain the facility and pay ongoing costs.

If there should be a shortfall then there may need to be a further appeal or again the Club might underwrite that.

Surely anything that helps youth development, even indirectly, is a good idea.

Depends on whether Rangers offer reserve and u20 league games to the paying customer. It is rather common over here and even though you won't raise crowds of thousands, you'd reckon a few dozen hardy souls will happen by. Same would go for "closed-door" friendlies or, indeed, offer tickets for training sessions or said games to people who pay for a possible / hypothetical membership scheme. Just as food for thought.

Absolutely a valid point dB. However, with it being a 264 seater I would contend that the revenue being brought in for that would be fairly minimal. The potential for revenue with a Club museum and 40,000 walking through the turnstiles every other week, plus tourists etc, would have the potential to be a far greater revenue generator for the Club.

I have been at the Emirates on a match day and there is a constant stream of people flowing in and out of the Club Museum. We have more history than Arsenal too....

Regarding tickets for training sessions, just how many people do you think will pay to attend reserve training sessions ? This stand that they are proposing is on the Academy side of the training facilities, so you wouldn't be able to watch 1st team training as they train on the other side of MP.

Edited by craig

I would like us to have a museum but I wonder how many people it would attract after the novelty wore off. By that I mean after the likes of us had all gone to it once or twice. Scottish football seems unlikely to attract tourists or, I fear, even visiting European teams for much longer. But our history pretty much demands one.....(edit: and i just read Craig's line rre Arsenal's above)

If there had been a vote on it I think I'd have voted to improve the facilities (perhaps provide some would be a better phrase) for the disabled. I think my mum would also have voted that way and as I persuaded her to put money into it I should also take that into account. I could always ask her I guess. Or no, it's nearly 8 and if I call now I'll still be on the phone at midnight ;)

Edited by SteveC

I remember the reserve team used to fill the full enclosure and have sat in more than 5000 supporters for a Celtic v Rangers reserve game. A pity we now talk about not filling a 245 seater stand.