Dundee star Gary Harkins: "Rangers are just a new club...I've not played them before"

Dundee’s Gary Harkins insists Rangers “new club” claim was “just a wee joke”

Dundee midfielder Gary Harkins has insisted he was only joking when he called Rangers “just a new club.”

Harkins and his teammates face Dumbarton at Dens Park tomorrow in a William Hill Scottish Cup replay, with the prize for the winners being a trip to Ibrox to take on the Light Blues in the quarter-finals.

Dipping his toe into extremely dangerous waters, the Dark Blues player claimed after his side’s 0-0 draw in the league at Kilmarnock on Saturday that it would be a novelty to be going to play the Glasgow giants.

Harkins said: “They’re just a new club.

“I’ve not played them before, so I’m looking forward to that.

“It should be good.

“It will be a tough game against Dumbarton, they made it hard for us down there and it wasn’t the best of days, but there is a chance to go to Ibrox for a quarter-final so we will be right up for it.”

However, Harkins has subsequently claimed, in a message on his Twitter account, that he was just having a laugh.

He posted that it was: “Just a wee joke took too far.

That young man needs to be strung up - send him to the grammar police!

It's simply not funny, or even an attempt at humour, when the victim of the "joke" is also the victim of a crime which is only now, many years after the event, beginning to come towards court action.

I cannot imagine for a moment anyone having a laugh at a rape victim, years later, or laughing about the murder of a loved one when the pain of it is still so strong and no justice has been had yet.

Instead of sympathy for what our club has had to go through from unscrupulous owners/rapists from fellow football fans who should fear that a similar fate could easily befall their beloved clubs, we get abuse and vilified.

As many have said before, our beautiful wee country is on the way to hating itself to death.

It's simply not funny, or even an attempt at humour, when the victim of the "joke" is also the victim of a crime which is only now, many years after the event, beginning to come towards court action.

I cannot imagine for a moment anyone having a laugh at a rape victim, years later, or laughing about the murder of a loved one when the pain of it is still so strong and no justice has been had yet.

Instead of sympathy for what our club has had to go through from unscrupulous owners/rapists from fellow football fans who should fear that a similar fate could easily befall their beloved clubs, we get abuse and vilified.

As many have said before, our beautiful wee country is on the way to hating itself to death.

Especially from an employee of Dundee... a club who have had their fair share of dubious owners too....

Ah so he's calling it a 'wee joke' now is he ? Maybe the current SFA compliance officer should decide whether it was a 'wee joke' or not. To me he is deliberately making false allegations against an SFA member club which he knows to be untrue & should be brought to account for it.

If a player called Celtc a 'paedophile club' and later tried to pass it off as a 'wee joke' would the compliance officer take no action there too? I bet he wouldn't

P.s. Let me just add I do not believe any Scottish club is a 'paedophile club' but i am of the opinion Harkins knew exactly what he was saying & what he was getting into and should face the consequences for such.

Edited by RANGERRAB

P.s. Let me just add I do not believe any Scottish club is a 'paedophile club' but i am of the opinion Harkins knew exactly what he was saying & what he was getting into and should face the consequences for such.

Neither do I , but the filth WERE a paedophile club and if a player came out and said that today you couldn't argue with it...some it high places at the time knew about it but turned a blind eye.