Referendum on membership of the European Union

My gut feel is that we are better off economically in the EU.

However I'm sure that both sides will produce figures that will agree/disagree with that, and I'm not sure that I can trust either set of figures.

I share some sympathy with the non-economic arguments put forward but I'm not sure if they are enough to override the benefits that we get.

The SNP's threats are doing disservice to the whole argument, and taking away from the real issues. It's hard enough to make judgements on the pros and cons without the usual juvenile approach and a dictatorial approach has been taken to prevent MSPs varying from the party line.

We need to hear as many objective arguments as possible, and I reckon I'm relatively politically savvy but I fear that I'm not going to have enough information and will end up just going with a gut feel rather than an informed decision.

If we leave then there's a good chance that Scotland will have indyref 2 and then leave the UK!

If the UK leaves the EU then Scotland is out the EU.

Not being in the UK then would be disasterous for Scotland as(since the oil price collapse) it is spending over10billion more than it raises. Where does that money come from you may ask ? Westminster?

And an independent Scotland wouldn't be using sterling anyway as they've been told countless times as Westminster wouldn't allow the Bof E to be its Central Bank. So a new weak Scottish currency would beckon.

Good idea? Don't think so

If we leave then there's a good chance that Scotland will have indyref 2 and then leave the UK!

My main concern is the preservation of the UK. If the UK was preserved no matter what, then I really don't care too much. I've been somewhat brainwashed by the SNP mantra that Scots are inherently pro-EU. If Scotland does vote differently to the rest of the UK, will wee nippy carry out her threats? Going by the responses on here thus far, it looks like most are happy to leave -- wouldn't be the SNP's first lie! If the UK is preserved then I'm happy to leave.

The Nationalist position is certainly strange.

Not sure that it should have a role in any decision though. If the United Kingdom is that fragile then it would probably happen anyway.

I share concerns that EU has much wrong with it but what would worry me is we are ruled by a Johnson/Gove clique. Cant trust that lot to protect workers' rights (minimum wage ,working time directive etc.); any progressive pro-labour laws have come from EU influence. The new Tories will bring in ever more stricter anti-union laws so they can lower wages and reply on cheap labour. There will still be plenty of migrants seeking to work for poverty wages.

Further, human rights: the EU court may be needed if we keep electing ever-more reactionary goernments.

You are likely to be burdened with a government that you don't like, for one reason or another, whether we are in or out. The difference is that you don't really have much say, if any, in the selection of the European Commission/Council. If the European Commission ever decided to destroy workers rights, for example, you'd not be able to do much about it.

Not being in the UK then would be disasterous for Scotland as(since the oil price collapse) it is spending over10billion more than it raises. Where does that money come from you may ask ? Westminster?

And an independent Scotland wouldn't be using sterling anyway as they've been told countless times as Westminster wouldn't allow the Bof E to be its Central Bank. So a new weak Scottish currency would beckon.

I think that new members of the European Union have to join the Euro.

If that is true then I think that Scottish Nationalists will find it more difficult to sell the idea of an independent Scotland in the European Union.

Edited by ranger_syntax

It'll just be the Euro.

It'll just be the Euro.

It won't be the Euro.

For a new EU member to join the Euro it has to satisfy a number of monetary requirements over a number of years using its own currency first.

Assuming an independent Scotland got in the EU (after some time I'd presume) which currency would it use to gain entry to the Euro?

Certainly not sterling.