Referendum on membership of the European Union

What about this pro stay mob on the street getting great PR from the National media?

Reminds me of Lech Wałesa of Poland getting high praise while British miners were getting a beating from Maggies blue line.

What about this pro stay mob on the street getting great PR from the National media?

Reminds me of Lech Wałesa of Poland getting high praise while British miners were getting a beating from Maggies blue line.

Traditional media coverage and it's effects have hardly been talked about.

It's another layer (the fourth estate) of society that is now generally failing the people regards it's supposed role of being an important part in upholding democracy. It is too ready to be willingly abused or to simply abuse it's power.

A seldom talked of legacy of Thatcher is how the relationship between British politics and journalism changed.

The coup that transformed the relationship between British politics and journalism began at a quiet Sunday lunch at Chequers, the official country retreat of the prime minister, Margaret Thatcher. She was trailing in the polls, caught in a recession she had inherited, eager for an assured cheerleader at a difficult time. Her guest had an agenda too. He was Rupert Murdoch, eager to secure her help in acquiring control of nearly 40% of the British press.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/apr/28/how-margaret-thatcher-and-rupert-murdoch-made-secret-deal

I did a project in 6th year at school on the power of the press and came to the conclusion they had very little. The readership now may be less discerning. Time have changed,quite a bit.

I've still got the chisel I used to chip on the stone btw.

I did a project in 6th year at school on the power of the press and came to the conclusion they had very little. The readership now may be less discerning. Time have changed,quite a bit.

I've still got the chisel I used to chip on the stone btw.

The media have undoubted power and times have certainly changed regards how it is used and exploited.

Some may point to online immediate news or 24 hour rolling news but for me the biggest change is how media output is skillfully manipulated and how it has become more influenced by broadly the same corporate, powerful interests that heavily influence political legislating and regulation.

It very much undermines democracy and caters for the interests of the few opposed to the many that it purports to represent. To varying degrees this may not be completely 'new' but the extent to which it is reaching is a 'gamechanger'.

You could argue that the result of the referendum bucked a trend as to what was probably the majority view amongst 'an establishment' and that this demonstrated that democracy is alive and well......... But we'll have to see where that vote leads wrt a Brexit and the negotiations (if and when A50 is invoked).

Generally, the people in many countries are unhappy with their lot and see the political system/establishment as being increasingly unfit for purpose and not representing their interests. This has been coming for a longtime and it's no accident that many states have militarised their policeforces and brought in/scrapped legislation regards the rights of citizens to protest etc.

This unhappiness has manifested itself in different ways but when you have people voting for X and getting Y, or becoming steadily worse of whilst other small parts of society prosper.....you need a sizable part of the media to be compliant so as to manage preceptions and 'explain' why this should be so and why it is actually good for them, even if it isn't.

Edited by buster.

I have listened to the fantastic Dan Carlin talk about the global disenfranchisement of electorates for many months and shortly after the EU Ref vote, he recorded a podcast which explores this topic at some length. It's an excellent listen and I think describes the situation very well. You can find it on the link below.

http://www.dancarlin.com/common-sense-home-landing-page/

I have listened to the fantastic Dan Carlin talk about the global disenfranchisement of electorates for many months and shortly after the EU Ref vote, he recorded a podcast which explores this topic at some length. It's an excellent listen and I think describes the situation very well. You can find it on the link below.

http://www.dancarlin.com/common-sense-home-landing-page/

Thank's, will give it a listen later !

• 3 years later...