The service provided by BBC Scotland

I was late on Tuesday evening, missed the first several minutes of the match. Driving along the M74/M8, I tuned into BBC Radio Scotland to receive team news. I listened to Derek Ferguson provide a full match preview on Queen of the South against Hibs, live from Palmerston. Rob McLean pitched up live from Paisley for St Mirren's match with Falkirk. Remember Tam McManus? He was live from Livingston, providing the necessary details of Livi/Morton. Big Am-Dram Quine, Richard Gordon then stated, "the other Championship game tonight is at Ibrox, Rangers are playing Raith Rovers and I will keep you up to date on that".

I know, I know the spat between BBC Scotland and Rangers continues. I know they have decided NOT to send anyone to Ibrox because Rangers took umbrage at BBC Scotland's Chief Football Reporter, Chris McLaughlin's insistence that he checks with all match commanders reference sectarian chanting, before broadcasting a match report. However, in terms of providing a service to licence payers, both supporters of Rangers and Raith Rovers; they have succumbed to the petty and leaving us all ill informed. No team lines for either side were given, and the half time report consisted of Richard Gordon giving the score, the scorer, and time of the goal. Derek, Rob, and Tam all had a couple of minutes at half time.

Sadly, the full time situation mirrored half time. Surely, all licence payers deserve a similar service? Please spare me the guff on solidarity, BBC Scotland continued to report from both Dens and Tannadice when Jum Spence was banned. Keith Jackson remains banned at the Stydome and regularly appears on BBC Radio Scotland. Keevins was banned for three years from the same venue and BBC Scotland continued to report.

Before any Gersnetters sound off about good riddance to bad rubbish, may I remind everyone that we have disabled/blind/hospitalised supporters dependent upon the BBC service, and they are licence payers too. Further, in my professional life, I relied on BBC World Service to get my Rangers fix/information on a Saturday. And, because Pacific Quay are ignoring our opposition at Ibrox too, it doesn't mean we should. We are better than that, let's be principled and strive to keep everyone informed.

Agreed. I pay my license fee along with the next man so why should I be denied the same coverage?

The BBC are meant to be a national public broadcaster so they should be above taking a childish attitude that would be laughed at in a primary school, never mind a huge public organisation.

I believe that their attitude is against the BBC charter in a number of aspects and as such there should be formal complaints made to London and the BBC Governors.

I couldn't agree more, it's petty, unprofessional and unfair. On their website they have the highlights of the match along with commentary so it's not like they aren't sending anyone to the game.

I can just about understand the department wanting to support and protect McLaughlin, even if I believe he is in the wrong and someone at the BBC should be big enough to see that. But What they are actually doing is disgraceful, for a publicly funded organisation.

It isnt the BBC as an organisation as such------its certain individuals within it.

They should be named----identified. this is where the BBC fails in its duties as a national brodcaster.

They always protect their own employees-----whether they be right or wrong.

A certain DJ proves this. If they were not prepared to out him ,who are they prepared to out?

I never listen to BBC radio Scotland and hope that McLaughlin never again darkens the corridors of Ibrox unless he pays at the gate...but I do take the point about disabled/blind/hospitalised supporters of both clubs not getting a fair deal because of pettiness and nothing less. As Bluedell points out, maybe a campaign of some sorts can bring this to the attention of London bosses, as it should simply not be allowed to continue.

I read the OP but nothing after that so I apologise if this has been said. However in this situation perhaps it now falls on the club to look into having a radio broadcast of our games in future, not sure of the legalities of it but if the BBC are having a little fight with us then surely we should do something for our own support.

I read the OP but nothing after that so I apologise if this has been said. However in this situation perhaps it now falls on the club to look into having a radio broadcast of our games in future, not sure of the legalities of it but if the BBC are having a little fight with us then surely we should do something for our own support.

Radio coverage is negotiated by the SPL. A club can't do their own negotiations.