Celtc to get full Broomie

As someone who doesn't get to regular games I may have a different point of view to some, but I think I'd personally be happy with no away allocation in these games. for a few reasons.

1. Less trouble, no segregation problem.

2. Not having the Green Brigade set foot in Ibrox.

3. Not having their messed up, misspelled, offensive banners at Ibrox.

4. Not having their offensive songs at Ibrox

5. Not having them wreck our stadium.

6. Half the number of games where our players are in danger of injury from stuff thrown at them.

7. More than zero chance of a ticket for less frequent game attending Rangers fans - like me.

8. I also don't think they'd sell out and so lose money. We would probably actually sell a few more tickets due to the lack of segregation.

9. More reporting on the game and less gleeful reporting of the arrests afterwards - especially when some stories will be about "Rangers fans" and the rest about "football fans".

On the other side I don't know why a Rangers fan would want to go to their shit-hole and be put in a seat with a terrible restricted view and then be subjected to their abuse an offensive song list.

For me I would really have little sympathy for fans who would be deprived of attending Parkhead, for many reasons, but mostly due to having far more sympathy for the thousands of fans who want to attend the Celtic game at Ibrox but can't get a ticket. That infinitely outweighs those who want to hand their money to Celtic in my opinion.

Absolutely barmy.

Absolutely barmy.

The ironic thing is someone posting "Absolutely barmy" as a reply to a post without the slightest explanation is in itself, absolutely barmy.

Care to expand even a little bit?

There is very little to beat the feeling of being at the piggery when we stuff them. The Rangers fans in full voice outsinging the scum in their own midden while handing down a damn good thrashing is one of the highlights of following our team everywhere. Rarely do you get a party like that anywhere else.

Personally I made the decision in the last season before we went down to never go back to the Piggery due to the ridiculous pricing, policing & stewarding, and some other factors. I wont be going back to Tannadice (hopefully wont be an issue next season!!) either after their treatment of our fans at the abandoned game until their scumbag of a chairman is gone.

There is one point I dont believe has been raised in this discussion which is of major significance to both clubs. The OF game is the sole big selling ticket for tv coverage around the world. It is certainly not for the quality of football, it is for the passion of the fans and the rivalry and noise created by these games with a large travelling support at both grounds. While I would personally love to go to a situation where they get the 800-1200 in the corner like everyone else, the tv viewers would soon disappear if the atmosphere was almost exclusively one-sided. For us fans the result is everything, but to sell this game around the world we have to focus on what makes our game unique, which is the atmosphere generated by two large numbers of fans in passionate opposition.

I have a lot of sympathy with your views. However it's easy for us to take that view as we aren't missing out and I can understand those who go every week such as TB and BH having a different opinion.

I will follow the team wherever and whenever I can get a ticket from Peterhead to Parkhead to Poland, Portugal and all points in between.

I appreciate that some folk do not want to put money in certain other Clubs' coffers but for me that is outweighed, FAR outweighed by supporting the team. I have read and heard it said many times that the players derive great heart from seeing the colours in difficult venues and whilst we have often faced great disappointment, moments such as Pedro Mendes rocket in the 4-2 win in 2008 and Ugo Ehiogu's overhead kick in 2007 will live long in the memory.

I don't have any great difficulty with where we are seated at Parkhead; yes it's in the corner but the views are not restricted and the configuration of the stadium is such that it would not be possible to give us an equivalent position to that occupied by Celtic fans at Ibrox otherwise we would be surrounded on both sides. As it is it can be quite intimidating if you are seated near the columns of Celtic fans.

I am surprised by Mr Gilligan's reported comments because I don't see how Celtic can be allocated anything other than the full Broomloan stand.

Lastly, Rangers v Celtic without visiting fans would severely detract from the atmosphere and I for one would find that regrettable to say the least. Surely there is nothing better than seeing them leaving early in droves when heading for defeat.

There is one point I dont believe has been raised in this discussion which is of major significance to both clubs. The OF game is the sole big selling ticket for tv coverage around the world. It is certainly not for the quality of football, it is for the passion of the fans and the rivalry and noise created by these games with a large travelling support at both grounds. While I would personally love to go to a situation where they get the 800-1200 in the corner like everyone else, the tv viewers would soon disappear if the atmosphere was almost exclusively one-sided. For us fans the result is everything, but to sell this game around the world we have to focus on what makes our game unique, which is the atmosphere generated by two large numbers of fans in passionate opposition.

The unrivalled atmosphere, passion and history of the old firm game is what makes it unique and sellable. The whole of Scottish football benefits from that.

I will follow the team wherever and whenever I can get a ticket from Peterhead to Parkhead to Poland, Portugal and all points in between.

That's fair enough and I see your point, but also see it is a very personal and subjective point of view.

It doesn't even start to take into account other people without a season ticket who still go to a high number of home games but can't get a ticket to an OF game. There are about 36k season ticket holders (I think) and about 44.5k attend home games on average. That's 8.5k without a season ticket. I have no idea how many are the same person but there will surely be a distribution where there are probably well over 20k unique people who turn up and a significant portion will go to quite a lot of games - just not enough to make a season ticket worthwhile. When Celtic come I calculate there being about 6.5 tickets for not non-season ticket holders, if you remove the opposition fans you have about 13.5k tickets available (with the 1k difference account for by segregation). That's 7k more Rangers fans who can go to the game. I think they are also worth thinking about.

There are also minors who are never allowed to go to the game who would be given permission by say their mother, if there were no away fans and little trouble.

I appreciate that some folk do not want to put money in certain other Clubs' coffers but for me that is outweighed, FAR outweighed by supporting the team. I have read and heard it said many times that the players derive great heart from seeing the colours in difficult venues and whilst we have often faced great disappointment, moments such as Pedro Mendes rocket in the 4-2 win in 2008 and Ugo Ehiogu's overhead kick in 2007 will live long in the memory.

Again it's a personal view. There is historically more than a 50/50 chance that a celebration of a win against Celtic will be at Ibrox, without away fans that means 7k more Rangers fans are would be more than likely to experience what you have felt but who are now denied.

I don't have any great difficulty with where we are seated at Parkhead; yes it's in the corner but the views are not restricted and the configuration of the stadium is such that it would not be possible to give us an equivalent position to that occupied by Celtic fans at Ibrox otherwise we would be surrounded on both sides. As it is it can be quite intimidating if you are seated near the columns of Celtic fans.

Fair enough. I've read stories that away fans are usually next to the large columns that support the old stand and badly obstruct the view for many. I also know from experience that the front 5 or so rows of the new stands are not covered from the rain. It was just an extra point that Parkhead is not a great stadium to visit in itself.

Lastly, Rangers v Celtic without visiting fans would severely detract from the atmosphere and I for one would find that regrettable to say the least. Surely there is nothing better than seeing them leaving early in droves when heading for defeat.

Are you saying that there was no atmosphere at the big European nights when we were playing a big club and had a 50/50 chance of winning - say the home game to Leeds where away fans were banned? I think there might be something missing from the atmosphere - probably something hateful which possibly adds spice, but I can't see how that equates to "severely detracting" from the atmosphere. I also think that those previous atmospheres are gone for good - there was still a bit of good nature, banter and general rivalry mingled in for a while; I think that's completely now gone and it's just pure hate and bitterness left.

I'm not sure how many truly miss the atmosphere of the 1980 cup final.

Maybe the atmosphere will be badly affected but thinking about it, I'm not so sure - especially if we win. There's also probably not much worse than have them taunt us while our fans leave early in droves when heading for defeat...

The unrivalled atmosphere, passion and history of the old firm game is what makes it unique and sellable. The whole of Scottish football benefits from that.

I can't see how you can sell the history of the game when one half continuously claims it doesn't exist...