As a general rule that may be true but the whole point of scouting is to find affordable players who can fit into our team.

It may be signing a wonderkid on loan from Arsenal fits best or a former £3m player from a League One outfit who has lost their way needs man-managed better or a Scottish player who has shown up well at a smaller team over 2-3 seasons might be worth the opportunity. Now and again, even a player in their mid 30s might be useful for their overall experience.

Writing someone off just because they're a certain age or from a certain club/league just seems counter-productive and I'd be disappointed if our scouting team did that.

Of course a Crawford or a Windass won't have us excited in the same way a Gazza or Laudrup did but writing them off before they've even had the chance to show what they can do seems very impatient at best and an inability to grasp the bigger picture.

Totally agree....

I think there needs to be a slight change of focus from many fans - the most important thing is the TEAM, not an individual. The Team is required to play in a certain manner, so introducing an highly skilled individual/"lone wolf" type player may not work due to an inability to link with team mates.

MW is very shrewd and has shown the way to forming an excellent team spirit in his signings.No use going and spending big on one player who might come in and have an ego attitude and upset the balance.I am happy with what he has done so far and hope that he continues to build our team in the way that he has.

Totally agree....

I think there needs to be a slight change of focus from many fans - the most important thing is the TEAM, not an individual. The Team is required to play in a certain manner, so introducing an highly skilled individual/"lone wolf" type player may not work due to an inability to link with team mates.

Just having a similar discussion on Twitter.

It says a lot that this season we'll struggle to pick a Rangers player of the year. Yes, 3 or 4 players could win the award but, in general, the team per se has played very well and it's because of every player's contribution - not just one or two people. Not having to rely on such is really helpful.

Edited by Frankie

Just having a similar discussion on Twitter.

It says a lot that this season we'll struggle to pick a Rangers player of the year. Yes, 3 or 4 players could win the award but, in general, the team per say has played very well and it's because of every player's contribution - not just one or two people. Not having to rely on such is really helpful.

For me POTY is pretty easy. Barrie McKay has been the most consistent player and wins by quite a margin in my opinion. Waghorn has scored a lot but many are penalties and he has not been as consistent as McKay.

For me POTY is pretty easy. Barrie McKay has been the most consistent player and wins by quite a margin in my opinion. Waghorn has scored a lot but many are penalties and he has not been as consistent as McKay.

I probably agree on McKay. I would also probably put Holt above Waghorn. But I think this is the point Frankie is making. The contributions of many have been so good that we find it difficult to single anyone out.

BTW, the sad loss of Billy Ritchie also showed us that the place where people come from does not matter in the slightest, if they are to play in a good team under a good coach.

Signed from Bathgate Thistle in 1955, Billy made 369 appearances for Rangers and won two league titles, four Scottish cups and three League cups during his hugely successful spell at Ibrox.

http://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/billy-ritchie/

Bathgate Thistle were and are a Junior team. This is not meant to drive the point home, just to a reminder what can happen in the game of football.

BTW, the sad loss of Billy Ritchie also showed us that the place where people come from does not matter in the slightest, if they are to play in a good team under a good coach.

http://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/billy-ritchie/

Bathgate Thistle were and are a Junior team. This is not meant to drive the point home, just to a reminder what can happen in the game of football.

Billy was the keeper when I was a pup going to see the Gers.

I saw a player last weekend I thought might be an asset. Tall lanky guy with his hair in a bun. Was he maybe playing for Ross County or Inverness ?

Just turned over from the egg chasing to the cup final. The fella I was on about is the guy Irvine with Ross County. I know nothing about him but he seems a reasonable player.

Just turned over from the egg chasing to the cup final. The fella I was on about is the guy Irvine with Ross County. I know nothing about him but he seems a reasonable player.

Jackson Irvine. He just won man of the match.