115 Years Ago Today.

2yybo6e.jpg

On the 30th March 1901 our Founder Peter McNeil passed at Hawkhead Asylum in Glasgow.

He rests in Craigton Cemetery with his brothers William and James and parents John and Jean.

mu979e.jpg

Rangers team-mate William Dunlop wrote about the Club’s first few weeks on Fleshers Haugh in the SFA Handbook of 1881.

Using the name ‘True Blue’ he penned that ”genial Peter McNeil would travel on a Saturday morning to a desirable part of the Glasgow Green, set up the noted standards and stand guard until the classic hour came when he would be joined by his friends”.

We felt this was a very dramatic and moving image and commissioned a painting to be done depicting this scene .

The painting by artist Helen Runciman hangs at the top of the Marble Staircase at Ibrox.

28u6zj6.jpg

Trouble was in those days Frankie it didn't take much to be sent to those type of places.

Agreed. People were admitted then for medical problems we can easily treat (and accept socially) nowadays.

Someone sent away for lunacy around this period were often no less mad than you or I. Sometimes they were just poor and that's how society dealt with them.

Agreed. People were admitted then for medical problems we can easily treat (and accept socially) nowadays.

Someone sent away for lunacy around this period were often no less mad than you or I. Sometimes they were just poor and that's how society dealt with them.

Not sure about you Frankie.:seal:

My grandfather suffered a serious head injury while working in heavy engineering. This affected his "nerves" and I clearly remember as a young child visiting him in Leverndale hospital where they used electric shock treatment to treat him. I think he spent around 3 months there.

Tragic Frankie.

William McBeath ended up in a workhouse in Lincoln, ''certified Imbecile''

The evidence of his state of health suggests he had actually suffered from Alzheimer’s. Medical terminology back then was brutal to say the least.

They say the people kept at Lennox castle hospital were also treated terrible. I would say there is a few bigger head cases running about there now though.

I was born at Lennox Castle. Nothing to do with mental illness though. It's just that they opened a maternity unit there. :nuts: