115 Years Ago Today.

I was born at Lennox Castle. Nothing to do with mental illness though. It's just that they opened a maternity unit there. :nuts:

I was as well and I think someone else on here was as well unless it was you I am thinking of.

Electric shock therapy in those days and even up to recent times could be just awfull and very unproductive. We do still use it now and it's termed TMS (transcranial magnetic stimulation) and we use it in only very very severe cases which are way above my pay grade. You have to remember mental health has moved on a lot, however the stories I still hear from people who had friends, relatives or loved ones in "Gartloch" 70-90s are horrendous. Leverndale is another institution I can't comment on.

It's not that the medicine or no how isn't there, it's funding guys. If you go private, you rarely find horror stories although they do happen.

In the main I'm a science kinda guy and believe without question we have a lot to learn the mental health but have advanced greatly in the last 115 years, although not enough by a long way.

Edited by cooponthewing

Electric shock therapy in those days and even up to recent times could be just awfull and very unproductive. We do still use it now and it's termed TMS (transcranial magnetic stimulation) and we use it in only very very severe cases which are way above my pay grade. You have to remember mental health has moved on a lot, however the stories I still hear from people who had friends, relatives or loved ones in "Gartloch" 70-90s are horrendous. Leverndale is another institution I can't comment on.

It's not that the medicine or no how isn't there, it's funding guys. If you go private, you rarely find horror stories although they do happen.

In the main I'm a science kinda guy and believe without question we have a lot to learn the mental health but have advanced greatly in the last 115 years, although not enough by a long way.

Did Ross hall hospital not have a great scandal a number of years ago and they were private. I can't remember what it was.

I couldn't tell you mate? Anything in the field of mental health has ethically by law to be centred around informed consent, private or otherwise. I don't have all the answers, wish I did, I've no doubt mistakes are made. Don't want to offend anyone, it's a very important and emotional subject, and rightly so.

Let's hope the progress continues was my only point.