Scott Brown has slaughtered the Hampden pitch

The SG recently released its latest GERS figures which showed Scotland is currently running at an annual £15bn deficit.

Does anyone seriously believe there is money for a new publicly-funded national football stadium?

And the UK government twice pulled the plug on making Hampden a decent stadium, the first one costing the SFA a ton of money in cancelled contracts and other expenses. Independence in the 70s would have meant plenty of money for a fantastic stadium - and the deficit easily paid off. Your political posturing is incredibly poor and just polluting a thread.

Oh and England were running a similar level of deficit two years after Wembley opened with the UK deficit at £156b.

Seeing as we're better together, why doesn't the UK government show us some advantage by paying for a new stadium as an apology for previous shaftings?

GERS figures are hardly an appropriate calculation anyway. You really seem to have Stockholm Syndrome. As I've said I'm pretty ambivalent about independence but it's always the unionists who seem to come out with the highly spun and tainted propaganda. Give it a rest.

Thinking about it, if we throw away self interest, tradition and parochial snobbery in a sporting sense, as well as traditional and geographical reasons for Glasgow, the Murrayfield solution makes perfect sense - especially for OF games and big Scotland games (if the national team ever has a revival). Although for games not involving the either Glasgow side, there is still their own stadiums which could be used, one of which is a UEFA five star arena. Other clubs' stadiums could be used for games drawing smaller crowds and pitch condition could be a consideration for choosing.

67k capacity makes total sense for a cup final containing either of both of the OF, and for a semi with both involved. Not only does it make more money but it gets more people in, pretty much catering for all season ticket holders at current levels. The M8 isn't that long...

The shame is that the Rugby guys have massively trounced the custodians of our national game.

If you took the more personal feelings out of it and asked Spock, I think I know what his answer would be.

Yes i remember getting the old nail brush down my thigh to get the black ash out. At school we had the luxury of red gravel pitches up at Blairdardie. I remember one game on a cold Saturday morning we were getting pounded with large hail stones. I made a slide tackle to block a shot. My legs were red from the cold and hail stones. Red from the blood from a gravel rash and I had mouldmaster dimples embedded on my thigh. Yes those were the days.

We didn't have grass pitches in Easterhouse Glasgow, it wasn't till i moved down to England and my lad played on nothing but grass pitches. I took him once back up to Easterhouse and was showing him where i was brought up and sure enough the cinder pitch was still there but no longer in use. He was shocked as it was just wasn't cinder but actually bits of slag from old coalmines in it. However when i showed him some old Dvd's of Bobby Russel playing who i was brought up with (same school and BB team) he appreciated the skills we learned. My son is thirty and still plays amateur football for a local team, hehe i told him looks like James Vardy, that's it just looks like him lol.

Thinking about it, if we throw away self interest, tradition and parochial snobbery in a sporting sense, as well as traditional and geographical reasons for Glasgow, the Murrayfield solution makes perfect sense - especially for OF games and big Scotland games (if the national team ever has a revival). Although for games not involving the either Glasgow side, there is still their own stadiums which could be used, one of which is a UEFA five star arena. Other clubs' stadiums could be used for games drawing smaller crowds and pitch condition could be a consideration for choosing.

67k capacity makes total sense for a cup final containing either of both of the OF, and for a semi with both involved. Not only does it make more money but it gets more people in, pretty much catering for all season ticket holders at current levels. The M8 isn't that long...

The shame is that the Rugby guys have massively trounced the custodians of our national game.

If you took the more personal feelings out of it and asked Spock, I think I know what his answer would be.

Completely agree about the Murrayfield solution.

Another reason for it, IMHO, is that Scotland really isn't big enough to need two national stadiums for differing sports. Use Murrayfield as your marquee venue and have all major finals there. Means you also only need the upkeep on one stadium and not two.

The SG recently released its latest GERS figures which showed Scotland is currently running at an annual £15bn deficit.

Does anyone seriously believe there is money for a new publicly-funded national football stadium?

It's ok because taxes can pay for it.

Maybe it would be different if money actually changed hands when people went to watch football matches. If that happened then the people who organised football could spend some of that money on the facilities.

Completely agree about the Murrayfield solution.

Another reason for it, IMHO, is that Scotland really isn't big enough to need two national stadiums for differing sports. Use Murrayfield as your marquee venue and have all major finals there. Means you also only need the upkeep on one stadium and not two.

Almost 70.000 Rangers and Celtic fans being released in Edinburgh. I am not sure that is a good idea. Commuting them all alone would be massive and no segregation in trains would always be a danger.

QUOTE=pete;616592]Almost 70.000 Rangers and Celtic fans being released in Edinburgh. I am not sure that is a good idea. Commuting them all alone would be massive and no segregation in trains would always be a danger.

To say nothing of, in over 60 years every time visited or passed through Edinburgh it's been raining. :razz: My wife has banned me from ever going there if that's where she's heading.

It's hard to disagree with all the points being made, as each has valid merit. There are so many factors financialy to take into consideration with this(could a private comp build a new Hampden and make a profit? Is it cap in hand to gov? Mainly financial?) I would also suggest RANGERRAB has a very good point about where liewell is going 2020, although if he does try that I think there will be tremendous resistance and bearing in mind we have the 5* Stadium it could be and probably will be a case of big games alternate between Ibrox and Farmyard and for any games between the two clubs it will also alternate during cup games,so if for eg one year drawn in 2nd round league cup it was at Piggery then next time/year it would have to be Ibrox if drawn in Scot cup and so on.

Hampden is a shitehole I live not to far from it, logistically it's awful, the pitch is awful, and the atmosphere is very poor due to the proximity of the pitch having a running track around it.

When it was being built there, some would argue, backhanders left right and centre, it was built on the cheap and now we are left to find a solution?? Sorry but I don't believe Murryfield, as good as it is, is the answer, I have a lot of respect for the Rugby world but we need to find a home for Scottish football we can all be proud of. How we do that, I don't know?? Bulldozing Hampden and selling it off would get some money in, it's where and how much for a new National Stadium.

Edited by cooponthewing