Rangers will need to match Celtic's £24million wage spend to challenge...

Spunking money on it is not necessarily the right answer though. With a proper footballing philosophy you don't need to spend the same as those that won the title.

I don't think that ANYONE doubts that we are "millions away" - however, you are now looking at different numbers yet again. Our current wage bill is what, about 10 million ? Do you honestly believe we need to more than DOUBLE that to compete with Celtic ? I don't.

Do we need to spend more than we currently are ? Yes, I wouldn't hesitate to say yes - for one we need a deeper squad which means increased wages and, secondly, we need a few quality signings - at least one CB, a RB, a DCM and a prolific striker are needed IMHO. That will cost a bit - but in terms of wages it wouldn't need to double the wage bill to catch Celtic up.

I am not impressed by their defence at all, although Craig Gordon is decent enough for this level. But their back 4 is weak IMHO. In midfield Brown is the same as he has always been, a headless chicken that brings little to the team. I'm not going through the rest of their team but I don't think it is that impressive at all for the money they have spent assembling it and the wages they are paying.

We will need to spend more, nobody doubts that. But doubling our wage bill ? I don't think that is needed.

"Closing the gap" should not be about spending the same on wages and transfer fees. Properly coached you don't need to. If you believe that closing the gap is all about what you spend then you are missing the point I believe.

You may be right. Philosophy only takes you so far though. Barca still spend tens of millions. Arsenal win nothing.

We won't do it spending 10 million. I doubt we need to double that. Somewhere in between.

You may be right. Philosophy only takes you so far though. Barca still spend tens of millions. Arsenal win nothing.

We won't do it spending 10 million. I doubt we need to double that. Somewhere in between.

Using Arsenal as an example doesnt strengthen your argument GS - they are one of the highest wage spenders in the BPL and they "win nothing". They are an example of how increasing your wage expenditures to match the top spenders doesn't ensure success.

Nobody is saying we will challenge spending 10 million. You said you felt Neilson was mostly right with a figure of 24 million - now you are saying we wont need to double 10 million.... which is it, because you are arguing conflicting positions.

Spunking money on it is not necessarily the right answer though. With a proper footballing philosophy you don't need to spend the same as those that won the title.

I don't think that ANYONE doubts that we are "millions away" - however, you are now looking at different numbers yet again. Our current wage bill is what, about 10 million ? Do you honestly believe we need to more than DOUBLE that to compete with Celtic ? I don't.

Do we need to spend more than we currently are ? Yes, I wouldn't hesitate to say yes - for one we need a deeper squad which means increased wages and, secondly, we need a few quality signings - at least one CB, a RB, a DCM and a prolific striker are needed IMHO. That will cost a bit - but in terms of wages it wouldn't need to double the wage bill to catch Celtic up.

I am not impressed by their defence at all, although Craig Gordon is decent enough for this level. But their back 4 is weak IMHO. In midfield Brown is the same as he has always been, a headless chicken that brings little to the team. I'm not going through the rest of their team but I don't think it is that impressive at all for the money they have spent assembling it and the wages they are paying.

We will need to spend more, nobody doubts that. But doubling our wage bill ? I don't think that is needed.

"Closing the gap" should not be about spending the same on wages and transfer fees. Properly coached you don't need to. If you believe that closing the gap is all about what you spend then you are missing the point I believe.

Great post Craig, it encapsulates everything i think. They are back peddling like glory trying to reduce their wage bill, you just have to read the absolute dung collins is spouting about their new Messi like wonderkid, also that other new Paolo Maldiniesq like player Tierney.

Trying to offload young players to the EPl before they have completed their apprenticeships, doesn't inspire confidence in their ability to pay the football super stars of tomorrow.

All the signs from them is copying our new realism in the football market.

Edited by aweebluesoandso

Great post Craig, it encapsulates everything i think. They are back peddling like glory trying to reduce their wage bill, you just have to read the absolute dung collins is spouting about their new Messi like wonderkid, also that other new Paolo Maldiniesq like player Tierney.

Trying to offload young players to the EPl before they have completed their apprenticeships, doesn't inspire confidence in their ability to pay the football super stars of tomorrow.

All the signs from them is copying our new realism in the football market.

Indeed AWBS&S - and, in fact, it suggests that their team will be further "weakened" if we are to believe that players such as Commons wont be retained. Remember, some on here are suggesting that you get what you pay for... well if they let Commons go who is on 42k a week (I struggle to believe that even now - wow....) and what will they replace him with ?

They are constantly talking up their younger players because they know that they cant develop them - so they want to give them some game time and punt them on before they get found out.

The time to tell whether we have closed the gap will be when the summer transfer window closes - I have belief in our management team that we will have a group of players assembled ready for the challenge, and without matching Celtic's wage bill - even if they reduce it.

There is a chance we could meet them in Europe - and we'd be the underdogs. I find that depressing. Also we compete with them and other clubs for players - the better the likes of them can afford, the lower down the skill levels we have to look. I find that a bit depressing also. We might be busting a gut and our wage structure to lure a Championship player, and they could swoop in and take him, just as we sometimes used to do. Not a happy thought either.

That's three differences I can see...

They bought Nadir Çiftçi and we got Harry Forrester for nothing. I rest my case. We had the run on Europe for years as well and also did little with it. We were robbed by corruption at least once right enough.

The markets we are now looking at are the English Championship & Leagues 1&2 for players ( mostly English) who in years gone by would have got their chance in England's top flight had it not been for the EPL more or less becoming a global league owned by overseas billionaires.

There are gems to be found. Forrester is one such example

Aberdeen are within touching distance of Celtic at the moment I highly doubt they are spending anything over 5 million.

Using Arsenal as an example doesnt strengthen your argument GS - they are one of the highest wage spenders in the BPL and they "win nothing". They are an example of how increasing your wage expenditures to match the top spenders doesn't ensure success.

Nobody is saying we will challenge spending 10 million. You said you felt Neilson was mostly right with a figure of 24 million - now you are saying we wont need to double 10 million.... which is it, because you are arguing conflicting positions.

Arsenal's wage bill is 4 the biggest in the epl. Has been for the last 3 seasons. They finish around 4th.

I was having a laugh when I said he was 66 percent right. I stand by me original 16 million ish.