http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2016/04/08/kenny-jackett-kevin-mcdonald-can-fight-his-way-back/

Kenny Jackett: Kevin McDonald can fight his way back

Kenny Jackett says out-of-favour midfielder Kevin McDonald still has a future at Wolves.

The Scot was left out of the squad for Tuesday’s win at MK Dons – and trained with the under-18s at Compton Park instead.

He last featured in gold and black a month ago, and rumours are rife of a summer exit with Glasgow Rangers believed to be first in line to snap up the 27-year-old.

But Jackett insists McDonald, who signed a three-year contract last September, remains part of his plans.

“He’s in my long-term plans,” Jackett said.

“It’s up to him to change my mind and bounce back, which is football life.

“He has to keep working away, as he is, keep his attitude right and battle to get back into the team.

“For people asking me how does Kevin get back in – it very much depends on the form of the midfield players, how they progress, and how the team shapes up and how creative it is going forward.

“His attitude’s been fine. His training and his work has been fine.

“It’s just been my decision.”

McDonald’s form hasn’t reached the high standards he has set in his previous two seasons at the club.

Jackett feels the form of the three ahead of him has been a big factor in his absence.

“He’s had good spells and very good games,” he added. “Price, Coady and Saville are at the moment ahead of him.

“It’s up to Kev to bounce back.

“He’s been an ever-present and at the moment, probably for the first time, he finds himself out of the team.

“His response and reaction is to work hard to get it back.

“It’s not anything against Kevin McDonald, I’ve just selected those three ahead of him.”

And of McDonald training with the under-18s on Tuesday, Jackett said the fact the Scot took part showed a good attitute.

“He asked if he could train, I said yes – the 21s were at Barnet and the only group here were the 18s,” Jackett added,

“He showed a good attitude and, quite rightly, trained when he wasn’t selected for the first team

“That’s the only session available, the only other one was go in the gym on your own.

“I was pleased with his decision to stay here and train, I think it was the right thing to do.

“It was his preference and his choice and I’m pleased with that attitude.

“Getting left out is part of football life and it’s very much how you respond.”

McDonald will hope to be part of a Wolves squad that looks to extend an unbeaten run to six matches tomorrow.

Wolves are also unbeaten in four at Molineux.

Jackett said of Blackburn and their boss Paul Lambert: “They’ve been similarly consistent to us this season and are just below us in the league.

“They’ve got a good squad of players and a manager who has a fantastic pedigree.

Read more at http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2016/04/08/kenny-jackett-kevin-mcdonald-can-fight-his-way-back/#khkslXB8dP8f02MG.99

Edited by colinstein

All the transfer babble aside, has anyone seen him play of late and knows whether he'd be a good addition?

SDW was linked with him when the former was at Sheffield United, which is probably why the link has come up again. Plus MW saying that he looks for a central midfielder. It's not that we have any dearth there, with Halliday, possibly Ball, Murdoch, Thompson, Law, Crooks and Windass too.

Am I ever going to have heard of a transfer target again?

I know the days of signing Laudrup, Gazza, DeBoer etc are long gone but it would be nice to sign, or be linked with even, just one quality player that you don't need Wikipedia to find out about!

Am I ever going to have heard of a transfer target again?

I know the days of signing Laudrup, Gazza, DeBoer etc are long gone but it would be nice to sign, or be linked with even, just one quality player that you don't need Wikipedia to find out about!

Ha!,that is a long way off mate,if ever again!,it's all about developing players in the immediate future I think.