Banner at the game

For me they can have the "zombies" - although I think it's funny that in the Rangers end there were Rangers banners and in the Celtic end, there were Rangers banners...

The "Hun scum" is a different kettle of fish, and the biggest offence for me is that if the authorities punish Rangers for less but leave this be then it makes Rangers fans second class citizens. That's not on. It's more than just about the punishment, the lack of it condones it, encourages more, and skews the already biased reporting to justify saying we're sectarian and they are not. I'm not sectarian, and yet by default I have my character defamed by the press on a regular basis.

Response received from Police Scotland.

Interesting that the use of the word Hun is not an offence!

"I can confirm that there was a substantial policing and stewarding operation at the turnstiles, to prevent both sets of supporters getting access to the stadium with offensive banners and pyrotechnics.

That said, it is simply not possible to search every single supporter and it was clear that both sets of supporters had pyrotechnics and banners which were offensive to some people.

The banners you refer to are likely to have been wrapped round individuals, underneath their clothing, and thereafter brought into the stadium. When this display was shown it formed part of several banners.

The use of the word Hun in itself is not an offence, that said, we have CCTV footage of the stadium and retrospective enquiries through this footage are ongoing to identify any individuals who did commit offences at the stadium.

Whilst it is disappointing that there are individuals who are intent on bringing offensive banners and pyrotechnics into a football stadium, I hope you would understand the practical difficulties of searching every single person prior to entry."

Response received from Police Scotland.

Interesting that the use of the word Hun is not an offence!

"I can confirm that there was a substantial policing and stewarding operation at the turnstiles, to prevent both sets of supporters getting access to the stadium with offensive banners and pyrotechnics.

That said, it is simply not possible to search every single supporter and it was clear that both sets of supporters had pyrotechnics and banners which were offensive to some people.

The banners you refer to are likely to have been wrapped round individuals, underneath their clothing, and thereafter brought into the stadium. When this display was shown it formed part of several banners.

The use of the word Hun in itself is not an offence, that said, we have CCTV footage of the stadium and retrospective enquiries through this footage are ongoing to identify any individuals who did commit offences at the stadium.

Whilst it is disappointing that there are individuals who are intent on bringing offensive banners and pyrotechnics into a football stadium, I hope you would understand the practical difficulties of searching every single person prior to entry."

Likewise, the use of the word fenian in itself is not an offence (see what I did there.....).

However, CONTEXT is everything. I personally don't find the word Hun offensive. However, I defend the rights of my fellow Bears who DO find it offensive. To have tens of thousands of Rangers fans in the stadium and being subjected to that banner absolutely, in that context, would be considered offensive as it is clearly a derogatory term for Rangers fans.

The Police Scotland response is pitiful in all honesty.

Likewise, the use of the word fenian in itself is not an offence (see what I did there.....).

However, CONTEXT is everything. I personally don't find the word Hun offensive. However, I defend the rights of my fellow Bears who DO find it offensive. To have tens of thousands of Rangers fans in the stadium and being subjected to that banner absolutely, in that context, would be considered offensive as it is clearly a derogatory term for Rangers fans.

The Police Scotland response is pitiful in all honesty.

I disagree. It's clearly a derogatory term for Protestants.

It's amazing how one sided the law is. Maybe we should start calling them huns again for being Nazi sympathisers. Or there's always HoMoS for HMS402...

What was the Rangers banner that was offensive? It can hardly be "Zombies are fictional, paedophiles are real" since that is just a true statement that cannot possibly offend a reasonable person.

We could debate all day, tbh imho we have been vilified and we all know there is perceived inherent agenda within the Scottish political establishment and media to undermine our club, our supporters and some would say religiously stereotyping and demonising our fans.

This has socially spread like a virus down through the legal system and on into influential constants within Scottish society.

I don't want to go on to much, as a forum is not the right place. I personally don't believe it will stop, will continue and progressively deteriorate. Where it takes us I don't know??

If I openly shared where I think we are going I would be accused of paranoia and sensationalising. Sunday was a disgrace, not for the banner, but the open way in which our society now accepts the blatant bias and following criminalisation of our supporters and anything connected with our club at any possible opportunity. While others are free to offend with impunity. Frightening! WATP.

Edited by cooponthewing

Surely, if nothing else the SFA should be embarassed than in a game beamed to - apparently - over 100 million people, that banner was clearly seen. It's a pity really because the game was excellent, no real flashpoints.

As for songs, we all know what is allowed and what's not allowed. Getting them stopped bringing in banners will not happen if some in our support insist on singing sectarian songs. I know the favoured term is to call the rest of us handwringers, but really just fed up of seeing the club/support being vilified and allowing authorities to look at us and not them.