[FT] Hibs 3 - 2 Rangers (Holt 41; McKay 85)

Tonight's fixture at Easter Road has already been predicted by the Hootsmon's, Alan Pattullo back in late December. Yep, immediately in the wake of Rangers 4-2 thumping of Hibs at Ibrox, Pattullo's wishful thinking went like this :

"Hibs have earned deserved applause in recent weeks for the way they have cut Rangers' lead at the top. Alan Stubbs' side failed in their bid to overhaul Rangers this week but their manager labelled this attempt as a 'free hit'. They still have to play the Ibrox outfit once more, at home. Expect them to win this one. Expect them to finish first, with Rangers condemned to another challenging play-off experience".

I wonder when Alan will revisit his confident prediction?

We should be kicking on and winning our remaining 5 fixtures. Of course we can lose the first 4 as long as we win the fifth, but it is all about momentum and we really must use the euphoria of Sunday to kick on to a perfect finish to the campaign.

It should be uppermost in our minds that a victory tonight will more than likely give our cup final opponents a further two games for players to get injured etc. Given Hibs recent form, they shouldn't be too hard to beat although they will be very up for it against the team that only they consider to be rivals.

It would also be nice to finally win one of our away league fixtures against the top sides in our league. One of the very few faults we have had this season is our results away from home in the "big" games, with defeats against Hibs and Falkirk (twice), and Raith as well. We did beat Raith earlier in the season when Raith were nearer the bottom than the top before anyone throws that back. It will be a concern going into next season if we continue this kind of away form.

Of course it is a dead rubber for us so the result is not so important, but we must do what we can do to ensure Hibs gain no confidence from us for their remaining battles ahead. Another season in the second tier for Hibs would be magnificent. We can play our part tonight.

Killie did abstain...

Because their boss at the time was a lawyer and the whole thing was essentially nothing that would go hand in hand with the actual rules of the SPL? Anyway, it doesn't matter, their fans bayed as much as anyone else.

Well, luckily enough, all has been decided before today, so we can go in there rather relaxed. It won't even be a benchmark for the Cup Final, as we will sure field a different team. Today, I wouldn't rule out seeing Shiels, O'Halloran, King, Zelalem, Clark and even Law (from) very early on in the match, plus Burt later.

Any more points dropped by Hibs today would see them go head to head with Raith, then Falkirk. If they survive this play-off rubbish, they'd have to go past (probably) Killie. IMHO, it would be quite cool if Hibs, the Arabs, St. Mirren, and Killie playing in the Championship next season, after voting us out and now not even getting any money from us being back where we belong. That, and me liking Falkirk most of this lot anyway.

Unfair on Killie. They were the only ones who took appropriate action at the time.

Because their boss at the time was a lawyer and the whole thing was essentially nothing that would go hand in hand with the actual rules of the SPL? Anyway, it doesn't matter, their fans bayed as much as anyone else.

I don't recall the Killie fans being anywhere near as bad as many other clubs.

There would have been mass boycotts at other clubs if they had abstained.

Not so.

Michael Johnston was very, very reasoned in why Kilile abstained, even quoting the Companies Act appropriately and giving proper justification as to why they would abstain. I would contend that his abstention was the appropriate act to take at the time because not one single Club could determine whether it was in the best fiduciary interest to kick us out or keep us. They knew how much Rangers brought to them twice a season but the variable was how many of their own fans would boycott them in the event the SPL kept us and whether that would hurt them more financially than demoting us.

The fact that Killie fans were baying as much as anyone else is actually testimony to the testicular fortitude of Johnston abstaining because he didn't listen to his fans but did what he thought to be the right thing legally.

Don't be fooled into thinking that fans of other lower league clubs clubs didn't want us out of existence either, including those of your preferred choice for promotion.

Edited by craig

I don't recall the Killie fans being anywhere near as bad as many other clubs.

There would have been mass boycotts at other clubs if they had abstained.

Trust me ,they were.They contacted the celtic support and apologised for their chairmans actions.Then begged them not to boycott Rugby park.

I think the reply they got was something along the lines of "we will think about it".

IMO,they are bitter Gers haters---------i say that from experience.