The Summer Transfer Rumour Round-up Thread

`Were we not linked to Robson-Kanu. I hope we still are but I doubt we can afford him after today.

We were linked to a Welsh striker NOT at the Euros and the consensus was that the mysterious figure was Tom Bradshaw (who's injured). No other word since then.

While it was a great piece of skill and goal last night from R-K, anytime I seen him play at league level he looks pish. There is a reason he is out of contract and nobody has snapped him up, and while that performance will see him get a few offers, consistency is what we need and this lad doesnt offer it.

While it was a great piece of skill and goal last night from R-K, anytime I seen him play at league level he looks pish. There is a reason he is out of contract and nobody has snapped him up, and while that performance will see him get a few offers, consistency is what we need and this lad doesnt offer it.

To be fair, I think he's been playing as a winger for his clubs, but as a striker for Wales. He needs a club that plays like Wales.

I just goes to show how different player looks in different systems.

To be fair, I think he's been playing as a winger for his clubs, but as a striker for Wales. He needs a club that plays like Wales.

I just goes to show how different player looks in different systems.

What, get a world-class player who does all the creating and scoring and build the team around him? Yes, lots of clubs around like that for a mediocre player of R-K's ability!!!

Only joking, I know what you mean. Sometimes players just fit perfectly into a team/system and it makes them look a lot better than they would be in a different set-up. You see it a lot with strikers in particular. Someone scores for fun with a side due to how they play, team spirit, then get a big money move only to look like they have never played the game before. Perhaps Torres with Liverpool then Chelsea is a decent example at a high level. Carroll with Newcastle then Liverpool another.

Oguchi Onyewu could be Mark Warburton's version of Carlos Bocanegra, says former Rangers midfielder Alejandro Bedoya

ALEJANDRO Bedoya believes Mark Warburton will have his own version of former Rangers defender Carlos Bocanegra if trialist Oguchi Onyewu becomes the latest signing of the summer at Ibrox.

The 34-year-old joined Warburton’s side in Charleston on Monday as he began a spell training with Rangers in a bid to win a deal for next season. After completing a deal for full-back Lee Hodson this week, Warburton is now close to finalising his business ahead of the new Premiership campaign.

With eight new players already on board, the Ibrox boss remains in the market for a defender and a striker as he looks to add further strength and depth to his squad. He has already recruited Clint Hill, the former Queens Park Rangers centre-back, to provide competition with Danny Wilson and Rob Kiernan, the pairing for much of last season as Rangers lifted the Championship title and Petrofac Training Cup.

Onyewu was last on the books of Charlton but has also turned out for the likes of Newcastle and Sporting Lisbon during a career that saw him become a key player for the USA national side. He will spend the next few days with Rangers and former Ibrox midfielder Bedoya reckons he would be a worthwhile addition to Warburton’s ranks.

“When you see ‘Gooch’ for the first time you would think he was an American football player. He is a monster!,” Bedoya said. “He’s got a massive physical presence. He has great stature, he is very strong and he is a great header of the ball.

“However, it’s not all about strength and defending with Gooch because he can also play the ball out from the back. He can really control the penalty area and, of course, he is also a great guy to have for set pieces at the other end.

“I haven’t seen him play for a while because it was well documented that he had an injury but I’m delighted he is getting a chance to show what he can do with Rangers. It’s a fantastic opportunity for him and I hope he can convince the coaches that he can do a job because I’m certain he would be a big success in the Scottish Premiership.

“I loved playing in teams with him because you knew you had such a strong character behind you. He is a great leader too the way he handles himself on the pitch, much in the same way that Carlos Bocanegra used to do. Gooch is also a really good communicator, just like Carlos, and you can never have enough leaders in your team.”

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/rangers/14594886.-/

Well, we'll know soon enough. Anyone knows what time the game against Charleston kicks off?

Edited by der Berliner

I'd take a chance on Onyewu. He's played at a high level, and has that physical presence that we've lacked. His career has been blighted by injuries, but if we can get a season or two out of him then I think that would be good business.

Edited by Rousseau

I'd take a chance on Onyewu. He's played at a high level, and has that physical presence that we've lacked. His career has been blighted by injuries, but if we can get a season or two out of him then I think that would be good business.

Only on a pay if your fit to play basis, otherwise no thanks.

Clint Hill adds a reasonable physical presence, professional attitude and experience and has played at a very decent level.

On the face of it (without too much knowledge on him), I'd prefer the lad from Watford to compliment Hill.

Clint Hill adds a reasonable physical presence, professional attitude and experience and has played at a very decent level.

On the face of it (without too much knowledge on him), I'd prefer the lad from Watford to compliment Hill.

Oh, so would I, but I was just saying I wouldn't mind getting Onyewu -- even on a pay-as-you-play deal.

Oh, so would I, but I was just saying I wouldn't mind getting Onyewu -- even on a pay-as-you-play deal.

If one of the important aspects of squad management is 'togetherness' then I wouldn't want to take the chance.

If he wasn't playing and not getting paid much, I doubt his presence would be positive.

Signed

Body Language expert and psychologist :whistling::laugh: