The Summer Transfer Rumour Round-up Thread

Perhaps, but our incoming transfer fees are going to be so important to us going forward, and that is now twice (that come quickly to mind) we have let a player go, still under contract, walking straight into another club, with others fighting for him, that we should have got a fee for, and didn't. McGregor was about to sign for St Johnstone, then hijacked by Hibs, and now Bell goes to another club that hates us after fighting off other clubs to get him. We have to wisen up.

You have to develop players, add value and manage their contracts well before you can hope to get transfer fees for them.

It was hardly likely to happen in the short-term given the squad inherited and that we'd like those who have developed last season to stay.

Expecting a club to pay a fee for Cammy Bell is extreme optimism.

Still a long way to go before we become a selling club it looks. Getting players off the payroll guys like Cammy Bell for nowt is good business right now.

If McKay reproduces last seasons form he'll be off for a mighty sum.

We could have done with McKay signing a longer contract but I guess at least we got him to sign for an extra year or we'd have been looking at him being free to speak to other clubs in January.

If he keeps developing and improving, we won't be able to compete regards a further extension and we may have to cash in next summer.

This time last year I dismissed McKay as a Rangers player.

Now, you're looking at a player who if he keeps working hard and improving, COULD go on and play at a high level.

We need to make this kind of player development a regular occurance.

We could have done with McKay signing a longer contract but I guess at least we got him to sign for an extra year or we'd have been looking at him being free to speak to other clubs in January.

If he keeps developing and improving, we won't be able to compete regards a further extension and we may have to cash in next summer.

This time last year I dismissed McKay as a Rangers player.

Now, you're looking at a player who if he keeps working hard and improving, COULD go on and play at a high level.

We need to make this kind of player development a regular occurance.

You can't have your cake and eat it mate!,also the fact that MW has already stated he doesn't believe in a player getting a long contract,which I agree with!,I get your drift though!

Edited by ian1964

Perhaps, but our incoming transfer fees are going to be so important to us going forward, and that is now twice (that come quickly to mind) we have let a player go, still under contract, walking straight into another club, with others fighting for him, that we should have got a fee for, and didn't. McGregor was about to sign for St Johnstone, then hijacked by Hibs, and now Bell goes to another club that hates us after fighting off other clubs to get him. We have to wisen up.

The clowns who signed the 7 are out the door I doubt we'll repeat such an exercise.

If Cammy Bell is as good for Dundee Utd as he was for us I'll be delighted, should keep them down for a few years.

I'm confident in what our new board in our new era are doing...except the bit about giving the gangrene brigade our Broomloan Stand in forth coming games at the expense of the follow follow.

Yes it's good we have a fantastic managerial team in place with some exceptional players also for next season...but that board have missed a trick :facepalm:

I'm a shade surprised there has been no interest in Ziggy Gordon given that his contract is up and he is looking for a new club and we have been looking to to strengthen the defence.

You have to develop players, add value and manage their contracts well before you can hope to get transfer fees for them.

It was hardly likely to happen in the short-term given the squad inherited and that we'd like those who have developed last season to stay.

Expecting a club to pay a fee for Cammy Bell is extreme optimism.

When Dundee utd announced they had signed Bell, they took great pride in informing their fans that Utd had beaten off prem clubs to land him. If there was such interest, and I dont for one minute think there wouldnt be given his record, then I dont get why we would let him go for nothing. Even if we get £50K for him, that may help us to pay a signing on fee for an incoming player, or an agents fee or something.

Bell knew he wasnt wanted at us, but if he wanted to go and play elsewhere, then those clubs have to pay for him as he was still under contract with us for another year.

We also made this mistake last summer when McGregor was given a free while under contract and St Johnstone & Hibs were fighting it out to land him.

We are not so well off that we can afford to dismiss relatively small fees, especially when the clubs paying these fees are our rivals, who take great delight in trying to shaft us at every opportunity either through player sales, ticket prices, votes etc.

From the Daily Mail (via FF)

"Warburton, meanwhile, is continuing his hunt for a new striker to ease the burden on Martyn Waghorn but a bid to land former Crystal Palace and Jamaica defender Adrian Mariappa has stalled."

No wonder here, as Mariappa has some 60 days of the window remaining and sure a few offers to consider. That said, as a freebie he's even more time.