[FT] Livingston 1 - 0 Rangers

So we've to expect another defeat to St Mirren because it's cold, our players don't want to get injured and we have nothing to play for? This is Rangers we play to win every game!

And you think our players went out there tonight wanting not to win? Or will do so against St. Mirren? But do you want us to go out there in a meaningless game with Holt, McKay and possibly Waghorn too ... to beat St. Mirren? We are the proverbial bawhair away from a defensive nightmare with any potential injury to Kiernan, Wilson, Tavernier and Wallace. Forrester is out with what looked like a minor tackle. Neither Holt or McKay, who are driving us on, look any more solid than Forrester. Would anyone on here want us to risk them next weekend? Or today?

We played some disjointed stuff tonight with people (King, Ball, Zelalem, Shiels, Law) who will most likely not be here next summer. We may need to draw upon some of them in the cup final. So they need game time. They have been in and out of the side (of different players) for months now, and now faced up against a yellow and stubborn wall. The odd break-away aside, we send wave after wave of attack against that wall, despite lacking precision and composure in front of goal. As well as some luck. That was to be expected. Does anyone like that, or the result? Nope. Will anyone accept that? Nope. Does it augur badly for the cup final though? Not necessarily. For it is what we will do on THAT day which counts. As always. And no-one, least of all Warburton, will accept results and performances like tonight, no matter the status of the game.

Just in from game have not read any comments here but tonight was totally unacceptable a team that played and get paid good money who were utter sh*** and us poor fans having to pay to watch it.

A total change in attitude is needed for 21st May or we will be over-run.

What a disappointment after the season we had.

I think it is easy to point out Livingstone's strong points but As Warburton says it is about us. For me the biggest thing is the defending of Danny Wilson. What the hell has happened to that guy? In fact I am wrong it is not about the defending of Wilson it is about the not defending of Wilson. Players seem to be able to walk past him. At set pieces he is a nightmare. Unless he has a 100% improvement I don't see him having a long future with us in the SPL.

I know it looks great for the statistics to have 70% possession but sometimes I wish we would give the other team some possession with players like McKay and O'Halloran we could also be deadly on the break. Hopefully SPL teams will not sit so deep while defending but I fear they will

Honestly, I was looking at my monitor and asking myself, what was Tom Miller commentating on? He said we keep on being patient in build up and didn't punt balls up front. Which was what we were doing far more often - with King and O'Halloran to chase the ball - than usual. And no harm here, as Livingston's game plan was rather apparent. Likewise, we hardly ever utilized the pace of the aforementioned chaps this season. We changed that style in the second half, but henceforth lacked penetration and creativity (which only arrived with Holt and McKay). Apart from accuracy and the willingness to shoot. At times you wonder how much it takes for players to realize that passing the ball through 20odd legs in the penalty area ain't the sole option. We do need some folk who shoot without needing a second or third touch, as well as liking to have a pop from distance. Windass will probably help here. And another power-striker like Waghorn as well.

As for your remark at the defence, we are sure on bare bones (and have been all season). Luckily enough, we have been spared from injury, but the lack of options will not only worry us. My main bone of contention today was Ball though, caught out every now and then ... and with next to fatal results. Probably his worst game for us this season, whether due to the rest not clicking or something else.

Way Below Our Standard

MARK WARBURTON cut a frustrated figure at the final whistle this evening after his side dropped points for the third game in a row in the SPFL Championship.

After a defeat to Hibs and a draw against Alloa on Saturday, the Light Blues were looking to return to winning ways at Livingston’s Tony Macaroni Arena but instead they struggled to break down the home side’s stubborn backline.

Former Gers defender Craig Halkett’s first-half header gave Livingston the lead against the run of play and they managed to hold on to that slender advantage.

The SPFL Championship winners certainly had enough possession and chances to claim at least a point but the overall performance disappointed Warburton.

Speaking after the game to RangersTV, he said: “As a club it’s not about the players separate from the staff, it’s us together.

“That was way below our standard, one point from nine. Hibs after the Celtic game, you can maybe say it’s understandable, not acceptable but understandable.

“Saturday you can say about the celebrations but still again not good enough.

“But tonight was way below Rangers’ level and you can say the team were tired, they’ve had no days off, but those guys [Livingston] are scrapping in relegation play-offs.

“They won tonight and they had the two best chances in the first half, so for all the possession, that’s not acceptable to Rangers Football Club.

“It’s not about them, as in players, it’s one group together and that’s not our standard.”

Having clinched the Championship title, won the Petrofac Cup and reached the Scottish Cup Final, the Rangers players have received a lot of praise this season and rightly so, but Warburton feels their standards dropped this evening.

He said: “They’ve set high standards, they deserve the rewards they have got, they’ve played well, they’ve played with intensity and purpose and quality and style, moving the ball quickly, good rotation, good timing of movement and tonight that was sadly lacking in most areas.

“Only in the last 10 to 15 minutes did we show any real urgency and we had a few chances, but we didn’t test the keeper for 33 minutes in the second half which again is well below our level.”

The manager continued: “Possession for the sake of it is irrelevant. Look at Leicester, they probably have 30 to 40 percent possession in most games and they are top of the Premier League and rightly deserve to be there.

“So it’s possession with a purpose and passing with a purpose. Too many times tonight backwards and square, hesitant, loose in our decision making and that’s not us.

“So it’s nothing the players wouldn’t say themselves and it’s not about them and the management staff having a rant at them.

“It’s about us together. Did we get the loading right as staff? Did we get the days off right as staff? Did we get the timings right as staff? We’ve got to look at it because as I’ve said that’s unacceptable.

“We’ve got 24 days to be the best we can be and we will make sure that when the 21st [of May] comes around we’ll deliver the performance that we know we are more than capable of doing”

http://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/way-below-our-standard/

Have now read comments Zalelam flattered to deceive in mid field and was brushed off the ball too easily,once by aguy ahead smaller and much lighter,sooner he is back at Arsenal the better.O'Halleron tied himself in knots,Wilson will hopefully jump ship as he did with Hearts as premier league is too high a level for him,King will be back at Hearts.

Ball had an off night and if played as defensive midfielder will help in final.

Thank goodness for Tav,Wallace and certainly Miller at least they put the effort in.

It's all about timing our run for the Cup Final.

The League is done, the intensity, the urgency, the tempo are all down and have been since we put Celtic out of the Cup.

The 21st of May is when we need to turn-up all guns blazing.

It's all about timing our run for the Cup Final.

The League is done, the intensity, the urgency, the tempo are all down and have been since we put Celtic out of the Cup.

The 21st of May is when we need to turn-up all guns blazing.

I agree that now there is no real pressure psychologically you start to decline. You don't want to but it happens to almost everyone.

Our defending problem has not just arisen from winning the league though.

My old boss used to say after a new employee has settled in expect10- 20% less productive work. I suppose that is the same sort of effect.

I still haven't seen last nights game, so can only comment on the previous two v Hivs and Alloa. We looked disinterested and lethargic. I'm not quite sure why Tav didn't get a POTY nom as I think he has been great all year and our best player the last few games. We are playing a dangerous game as getting into the habit of mediocrity and defeat is unhealthy and it could well cost us dearly?? They shouldn't really be physically tired although I can accept being mentally/emotionally tired to a degree, there bodies are more than up to the task as the they are athletes and trained, the mind however is a different matter, that's where sports psych should come in tho(not touting for business lol)

The 2nd class Junkies will be well up for it in the SC Final, we will need another performance similar to the one we displayed v the unwashed. Otherwise we could be in for a tough time.

It really was disappointing.

For all our possession we were toothless in attack and that has to be a concern for the manager. O'Halloran looks lost, King has gone off the boil and Miller is being asked to do too much in the absence of supply to him. Meanwhile I think wee Holt is struggling for form and Halliday was again very poor. Zelalem had a reasonable first half but tired after the break and is too lightweight when opposition players do get close to him.

All in all, we're not playing at the same tempo and/or getting the ball forward quick enough. Passes are often under-paced and behind players. Similarly we lack dangerous runs with McKay, King, O'Halloran, Wallace and Tav guilty of standing still instead of looking to find space.

As others have said, I'm sure we can pick up the standard and the return of Waghorn - even a rusty one - will be of huge benefit.