[FT] Livingston 1 - 0 Rangers

It really was disappointing.

For all our possession we were toothless in attack and that has to be a concern for the manager. O'Halloran looks lost, King has gone off the boil and Miller is being asked to do too much in the absence of supply to him. Meanwhile I think wee Holt is struggling for form and Halliday was again very poor. Zelalem had a reasonable first half but tired after the break and is too lightweight when opposition players do get close to him.

All in all, we're not playing at the same tempo and/or getting the ball forward quick enough. Passes are often under-paced and behind players. Similarly we lack dangerous runs with McKay, King, O'Halloran, Wallace and Tav guilty of standing still instead of looking to find space.

As others have said, I'm sure we can pick up the standard and the return of Waghorn - even a rusty one - will be of huge benefit.

For us to make chances from possession we need intensity and tempo middle to front.

Those tools have been shelved for various reasons and the test is picking them up again for the Cup Final.

Other than the St.Johnstone game, we have turned up for all the big games in a positive and effective manner. The League cup tie served as a lesson from which we changed our approach for certain games.

However, this being end of season together with the 3 week break brings different problems to solve, including trying to motivate the players who will be out of contract and finishing their loan periods.

We won't know how this will go until the Final has started but I'm confident the management team will do everything possible to ensure we complete the season with a performance worthy of a Final.

We miss Waghorn and Forrester big time, direct and willing to shoot. We lead the posession table but so what, even against celtc for all our posession in the first half, they had far more chances and shots on goal.

Our defending is 'laughable' at times, especially at corners and I don't see that improving before the Cup Final. It's going to be fingers crossed come the big day.

Our small squad and high energy tactics are coming home to roost IMO. It is impossible for a small squad to play the type of football Warbs wants and last the season when playing for Rangers.

Take out Waghorn and our attack has been poor. Since he went off injured at Rugby Park we have played 14 games, losing 3 drawing 3 and only putting in good performances in the cups. Our league form since February has been really poor. Not results necessarily, but our form. Two really good performances in the last 14 games, Dundee and celtic. A few decent performances where we got the job done with a minimum of fuss, Raith (h), Morton, Peterhead. And a good few where the performances have been nowhere near the standard - QotS (H&A), St Mirren, Falkirk, Dumbarton, Hibs, Alloa & Livvy.

When our central defensive partnership are really focused and concentrating well, they are average. When they let their standards drop, like the last three games, they are honking the place out. Both need replaced after Hampden, without a shadow of a doubt.

The more I see of this side, the more I am not convinced by the ability of some to be main players in winning 55. While it may be harsh to discard players who have contributed to a very successful season, it must be done to move forward. Wilson, Kiernan, OHalloran, Shiels, Law, Clark, Miller, are all not up to the level that is going to be required. For me we have a few players who are definately going to be good enough next season, McKay, Holt, Wallace, Tav. We then have some who have earned the right to see if they can make the step up, Halliday, Wes, Forrester, Waghorn. That is basically our 15 man squad that we have got through this season with, excepting loan players.

I agree with what I am hearing from the manager & board that this was to get us through stage 1 - mission accomplished. Stage 2 will need a big step up. We should get better loan players (wouldnt take any of the 4 we have had back) after the success that we have had and the level we are moving to and this will help in our squad for next season. I know Warburton likes to work with a small squad, but this has been threadbare to the point of embarrassing when we have an empty bench, while good players like Gasparatto & Hardie are ripping it up at the same level as us and we have to watch Wilson & Kiernan, Miller & Clark give us nightmares.

It will be very interesting to see what movement we have in both directions over the summer. Certainly the most interesting summer we have had since the downsizing by the bank under Walter's reign came into effect around 2009-10.

Our small squad and high energy tactics are coming home to roost IMO. It is impossible for a small squad to play the type of football Warbs wants and last the season when playing for Rangers.

Take out Waghorn and our attack has been poor. Since he went off injured at Rugby Park we have played 14 games, losing 3 drawing 3 and only putting in good performances in the cups. Our league form since February has been really poor. Not results necessarily, but our form. Two really good performances in the last 14 games, Dundee and celtic. A few decent performances where we got the job done with a minimum of fuss, Raith (h), Morton, Peterhead. And a good few where the performances have been nowhere near the standard - QotS (H&A), St Mirren, Falkirk, Dumbarton, Hibs, Alloa & Livvy.

When our central defensive partnership are really focused and concentrating well, they are average. When they let their standards drop, like the last three games, they are honking the place out. Both need replaced after Hampden, without a shadow of a doubt.

The more I see of this side, the more I am not convinced by the ability of some to be main players in winning 55. While it may be harsh to discard players who have contributed to a very successful season, it must be done to move forward. Wilson, Kiernan, OHalloran, Shiels, Law, Clark, Miller, are all not up to the level that is going to be required. For me we have a few players who are definately going to be good enough next season, McKay, Holt, Wallace, Tav. We then have some who have earned the right to see if they can make the step up, Halliday, Wes, Forrester, Waghorn. That is basically our 15 man squad that we have got through this season with, excepting loan players.

I agree with what I am hearing from the manager & board that this was to get us through stage 1 - mission accomplished. Stage 2 will need a big step up. We should get better loan players (wouldnt take any of the 4 we have had back) after the success that we have had and the level we are moving to and this will help in our squad for next season. I know Warburton likes to work with a small squad, but this has been threadbare to the point of embarrassing when we have an empty bench, while good players like Gasparatto & Hardie are ripping it up at the same level as us and we have to watch Wilson & Kiernan, Miller & Clark give us nightmares.

It will be very interesting to see what movement we have in both directions over the summer. Certainly the most interesting summer we have had since the downsizing by the bank under Walter's reign came into effect around 2009-10.

O'Halloran was impressing in the SPL where we are now headed all season before we signed him!

There's no doubt having a lean squad has been useful in terms of keeping people focussed but it's also clear the depth we do have isn't strong enough qualitatively.

It's going to be an interesting few months as basically we'll need to bring in at least 8 players (including the two we've already signed) just to retain the same squad numbers. It may be Thompson, Walsh and Hardie are seen as good enough for the squad but it's tricky to want to keep them but not see them play enough.

Re squad we have a decent nucleus our flops are Wilson,O'Halleron(so far) Law and a couple on borderline Keirnan,Halliday, IMO , Sheils,Clark.

We need a dominant centre half,not defensive midfielder,to take control at set pieces.

I have not included our players in on loan,but would take Ball for another season.

We need a couple of defenders(for cover) and maybe a striker although Hardie could come into that.

Over past number of games have noted work rate and intelligent movement of Miller so he still has a lot to offer despite his years.

So let' see what transfer window gets us in meantime looking forward to cup final as I think MW and DW will lhave us "fired up"