St Mirren 2 - 2 Rangers (Miller 54; Holt 88)

MARTYN WAGHORN is back fit and available for Sunday’s match against St Mirren and he can’t wait to get back playing after a prolonged spell on the sidelines.

The English striker who has already bagged 28 goals this season, winning the Sam English Bowl for top scorer despite injuring himself in the game against Kilmarnock at Rugby Park in the Scottish Cup in February and being missing since then.

Speaking at the pre-match press conference ahead of the curtain coming down on the league season, Waghorn said: “It’s been a long time but I’ve eventually been back in with the boys this week.

“I was involved in a few full sessions last week getting ready for preparation for going into Sunday. I should be in the squad and available for selection.”

In the time that Waghorn has been missing from action, the Gers have sewn up the Championship title, won the Petrofac Training Cup and defeated Celtic to secure a place in the Scottish Cup final and the Gers striker has said that the successes of the team have kept him going whilst he recuperated from the knee injury that kept him on the sidelines.

He continued: “It’s been tough watching from the sidelines. When we won the league, the Petrofac Final and then the Celtic game without me it’s been frustrating to watch.

“However the boys have one such a great job. It’s been exiting watching as a fan and taking in the atmosphere.

“It’s been frustrating but the success has been getting me through and I’ve been desperate to get back for Sunday and I’m looking forward to it.”

Following Sunday’s match against St Mirren, the Gers will have twenty days to prepare for the Cup final against Hibernian at Hampden and Waghorn will use that period to make sure he is fighting fit for the game.

He said: “I’ve done a lot of work with the physio and the sports science guys. Sunday is going to be the first day back and I’ll try to get as much out of it as I can.

“That will depend on game time and I will see how I go. Obviously I have another eighteen or twenty days to get myself up to speed for the 21st.

“I’ll be working hard and doing as many extra sessions as I can and I’ll give it a right go.”

http://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/waghorn-ready-action/

We Owe Our Fans

MARK WARBURTON reckons his Rangers side have a duty to the club’s supporters to return to winning ways against St Mirren on Sunday.

In excess of 4000 Light Blues’ fans will fill the Paisley 2021 Stadium on Sunday lunchtime to see their team play their final Championship match before returning to the big time, and Warburton wants to put on a show for them.

Speaking at today’s media conference, he said: “It’s important we get back on track as we have three sides of the ground on Sunday and the game is live on TV.

“We have that massive support which has been fantastic all season, so every time we pull the jersey on we have a responsibility.

“It’s important for us to train well, prepare well and then hopefully deliver a good performance.”

Warburton’s men haven’t won any of their last three matches since the Scottish Cup semi-final victory over Celtic on April 17, and the manager has revealed he and his staff’s processes will be reviewed to ensure they do all they can to avoid such slumps in the future.

He continued: “We have to look at that – and it’s not just about the players. What mistakes have the staff made? It’s all about one group of staff and players together – we can’t take the plaudits and then blame the players after a couple of bad results.

Did we get the loading right? Was the timetable right? Was the training intensity correct for the appropriate day? Obviously not as the results weren’t great, but we can also look and say in a 10 or 11 day period they won the League against Dumbarton, won the Petrofac in front of a packed Hampden and a week later delivered a tremendous performance against the number one team in the country.

“They have dealt with the pressure and expectation really well, won two trophies and got through to a Cup Final.

“Is it human nature? That’s understandable but not acceptable. We have to learn as a group of staff and players how we do better next time.

“You only learn from mistakes. We made them the other night and were sloppy in possession and didn’t penetrate.

“We have to talk about it as a group and if we don’t learn from the bad times then we have a problem.

“If you have to shout and scream very rarely then so be it. I would be more concerned by a lack of effort or application that I would be anything else.”

One major boost this weekend will be the return of Martyn Waghorn from a 10 week injury lay-off, and the manager is thrilled to be welcoming his top goalscorer back into the team.

He added: “We have missed Martyn in terms of him offering us something different. So he will be involved on Sunday and he is desperate to get back.

“He will have an hour or so on Sunday, use the friendly game and then be ready for the Cup Final.”

http://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/we-owe-our-fans/

Waghorn to start by the looks of it,

Whatever happens on Sunday wont have a baring on the cup final IMO.

I have no fears that the management team will have the players in the right frame of mind.

I have no fears over the players fitness.

What i do fear is that if hibs sit in deep,have we got the ABILITY to break them down whilst keeping the back door shut?

Recent results would suggest this is a valid concern.

well we've been shite recently, and if we're shite again st Mirren (see what I did there) ...I will not be confident at all taking on a resurgent Hibs

Hope we pull out finger out, glad Waggy is back, should during a spark to us and you would hope after a well deserved "Rocket" from MW/DW on Tuesday the performance will improve?. Need to get back to winning ways before final.

Im looking forward to it, only downside is I'm sitting down the front and its to rain!

Loved this quote from Warbs...

"If they are a top class player and they are a poor fit for the dressing room - I wont take them, simple as that!"

Look at the mess the East End of Glasgow club find themselves in right now!