RST Asset Transfer to Club 1872

Looks like things are now moving in the fans groups merger.

Asset Transfer Vote

Following an overwhelming vote in favour of the formation of Club 1872, there is a final step required to be voted on by RST members in order for the shares and assets of the RST to be transferred to Club 1872. The RST board is putting forward a special resolution to members. This resolution requires a 75% majority of those voting in order to pass.

If the required 75% majority is reached and the vote is passed, it is the intention of the RST board to allow current Buy Rangers contributors a period of 2 months during which they may withdraw from the Buy Rangers scheme should they so wish. This step is not required under the rules of the RST but we feel, given members contributions over the years, it is fair for us to give anyone who does not wish to take part in Club 1872 the opportunity to withdraw.

Please note that once shares and assets are transferred to Club 1872 the ability to withdraw shares in the society will no longer be available as all assets will be asset locked within Club 1872.

We hope that RST members will continue to support the aims and objectives of the RST through Club 1872. As a board we are satisfied that those aims and objectives will be continued and furthered through Club 1872. We believe this is the next logical step towards greater fan ownership and representation in Rangers Football Club and we are excited at the opportunities which Club 1872 will present.

Voting will open on Friday 13th May at 10am and close on Monday 16th May at midnight. The question presented at that time will be as follows:

Do you consent to the transfer of the shares and assets held by and on behalf of the RST (and any interest you may have therein) to the entities which will form Club 1872?

Edited by BEARGER

It would be great as a first step if fans owned 25% of the club. ..hopefully next one would be to aim for the likes of bundesliege sides like Borussia Dortmund.

Sugar daddies are getting scarcer and eventually we'll run out of 'Gers supporters who've got serious money

It would be great as a first step if fans owned 25% of the club. ..hopefully next one would be to aim for the likes of bundesliege sides like Borussia Dortmund.

Sugar daddies are getting scarcer and eventually we'll run out of 'Gers supporters who've got serious money

TBH I think 25%+1 share is a good target and above that I think there is an element of diminishing returns - though I'm open to be swayed :)

I think I am right in saying it is now in German law that supporters must own 51% of the club. DB will know better than me but I am sure he has confirmed it before.

Found this Pete...

The basis of the German model is the 50+1 rule whereby a minimum of 51% of the club must be owned by club members. This still allows for considerable investment opportunities for private business to invest while preventing them from having overall control of the direction of the club. A Bundesliga club board is made up of delegates selected by the shareholders (by wilson santiago). That way the supporter membership associations or Mutterveiren have a direct say on the management of the club.

The benefits to this method are clear, especially to English supporters who long for an end to the days where English clubs are subject to the whims and excesses of individual owners or uncaring capitalists who use their club to clear their own debts. Corporate interest is curtailed by the interests of the supporters. As long as the supporters have the best interest of the club at heart, that club is unlikely to allow itself to become mismanaged.

http://pitchinvasion.net/fan-ownership-the-bundesliga-model/

• 3 weeks later...