Official: Joey Barton signs 2 year deal with Rangers

In essence, due to the Barton stuff (and probably the Cup Final fallout), FF was overrun by fans wanting to see what was going on. Expectation and excitement levels apparently on a high. Hence the remarks about 1,500 people scanning the FF Joey Barton thread at a time and the site being somewhat slow.

Yeh, we don't need an update in every post.

For what it's worth , from a technical view... a few thousands visitors shouldn't bring down a server.. (unless there on some basic bandwidth ) but for a site like that more chance of major server problems not related to members or guests simply visiting

Edited by blueflag

Yeh, we don't need an update in every post.

For what it's worth , from a technical view... a few thousands visitors shouldn't bring down a server.. (unless there on some major basic bandwidth ) but for a site like that more chance of major server problems not related to members or guests simply visiting

Having worked on many websites for blue chip clients I can tell you right now that 1000 concurrent users.all hitting refresh can easily take down a decent size server. I have seen clients whose sites fell over with less than 100 concurrent users.

Edited by Waltersgotstyle

Having worked on many websites for blue chip clients I can tell you right now that 1000 concurrent users.all hitting refresh can easily take down a decent size server. I have seen clients whose sites fell over with less than 100 concurrent users.

What would you consider a decent size server? Only time I've seen a site buckle under that would be shared hosting and without pulling out the laptop I would be suprised if that was the case with FF.

Ironic I intended to stop the posts on it and here I am discussing it myself :gun:

What would you consider a decent size server? Only time I've seen a site buckle under that would be shared hosting and without pulling out the laptop I would be suprised if that was the case with FF.

Ironic I intended to stop the posts on it and here I am discussing it myself :gun:

:D - I don't want to go into too much detail but I have seen a clients site crash with 2 load balanced servers each running a Java built website in a weblogic container with the heap space set on the JVM to 2gb - crash with around 50 concurrent users when loading a page which aggregates data from various XML feeds.

Now I'm not saying there wasn't other factors at play but what I am saying is that FF struggling with capacity issues is possible.

:D - I don't want to go into too much detail but I have seen a clients site crash with 2 load balanced servers each running a Java built website in a weblogic container with the heap space set on the JVM to 2gb - crash with around 50 concurrent users when loading a page which aggregates data from various XML feeds.

Now I'm not saying there wasn't other factors at play but what I am saying is that FF struggling with capacity issues is possible.

What language is this you speak?:)

Now we're certainly going way off topic, my bad for asking i suppose, just as an idea of how many visitors we've had from yesterdays stats run, We've also had more today but stats not accurate till the evening time stats run process's during the night.

Visitors: 2385

23,210 pages hit 105,697 times that is certainly above our usual.

I don't know the setup of them but will concede they will probably have even more considering all the social media attention over the past few days but like us there site will be php based and will be very optimized for heavy hitting.