Official: Joey Barton signs 2 year deal with Rangers

strange strange signing - off the park

is he going to be all that on it?

Burnley, promoted to BPL - he won their Player of the Year

Championship, better standard than SPL - he was in Championship team of the year

The signs are certainly positive in terms of his playing ability

As for "Off field" stuff. What he has done before will have little bearing on his signing, what will have is his current mental state and maturity - and if you listen to his interviews recently he shows, for me at least, a very high level of maturity and, dare I say it, a large dose of calmness, of being at one with himself.

We can but hope on both counts that MW and SDoW got it right, but I am certainly hopeful. Cracking standard of player.

Have to say didn't really expect him to sign nor did I want him to. Always thought he was a bit of a plonker. Anyway as long as he does the business on the park then he gets my backing regardless.

Wonder if this signing might encourage other players to sign.

Joseph Barton @Joey7Barton

To be a Ranger is to sense the sacred trust of upholding all that such a name means in this shrine of football.

Joey just raised the Cantona - Sartre with his Camus.

Ha ha ha... classic!

So far his interviews have been immense , add in the signing of the two Accrington lads plus Rossiter , who everyone is forgetting and it's been a great start to recruitment .

What a difference when you have a management team working as one towards a common goal , for a system they believe in and are more than comfortable playing .

It''s easy to forget how intelligent he actually is, with all the "off-field stuff". I believe he was doing a philosophy course last year, and he come across very well on Question Time a while back. He's always been an articulate man, quoting Nietzche etc., but it's easy to be deceived by the 'tough guy' persona/perception.

I can see a double pivot of Barton and Rositter next season; a deep-lying playmaker role for Barton with a bit of aggression and steel. It sounds quite exciting!