Official: Joey Barton signs 2 year deal with Rangers

I've already mentioned in my very next post

Cheers for the PM - not sure I believe he said it but I hope he did.

People are also saying he said "No Surrender" at the the end of the rtv interview but having watched it - he does not appear to have said it :)

I am pretty excited about this signing. It's a big name signing of a player who had an excellent season last year. He seems to have really calmed down in recent years and the fact he is going to be a pundit for the Euro's should stand as testament to that.

Remember, we are the club who signed Gazza for goodness sake. Hardly a guy with a spotless reputation but a talent nonetheless - before some of you get up in arms, I'm not suggesting Joey = Gazza talent wise, but making the point it can work well. A lot is dependent on the right manager, the right coaching team and the right players around you.

I think Barton could be a massive success.

I am pretty excited about this signing. It's a big name signing of a player who had an excellent season last year. He seems to have really calmed down in recent years and the fact he is going to be a pundit for the Euro's should stand as testament to that.

Remember, we are the club who signed Gazza for goodness sake. Hardly a guy with a spotless reputation but a talent nonetheless - before some of you get up in arms, I'm not suggesting Joey = Gazza talent wise, but making the point it can work well. A lot is dependent on the right manager, the right coaching team and the right players around you.

I think Barton could be a massive success.

When we signed Gazza he was playing Serie A, the best league in the world at the time, was the fulcrum of the England side, and had never been to jail or seriously assaulted a team mate or a youth player. He was known to be impetuous on the pitch and had the highest media profile of any British footballer ever but he didn't have anything like the reputation of Barton.

I wish we hadn't signed Barton and I'm disappointed someone like him is going to pull on our shirt. But, whilst he does I'll support him and the side and hope his time with us passes off without incident.

I didn't know that he played the 12/13 season in France with Marseille and finished second with them too (according to the interview). And since he played 33 games there, he sure was no bit-part player either.

His stats at his various clubs look solid .... http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/joey-barton/leistungsdatenverein/spieler/3292

... but it is how he plays for us and how he behaves these days which counts, at least for me.

When we signed Gazza he was playing Serie A, the best league in the world at the time, was the fulcrum of the England side, and had never been to jail or seriously assaulted a team mate or a youth player. He was known to be impetuous on the pitch and had the highest media profile of any British footballer ever but he didn't have anything like the reputation of Barton.

I wish we hadn't signed Barton and I'm disappointed someone like him is going to pull on our shirt. But, whilst he does I'll support him and the side and hope his time with us passes off without incident.

"He who is without sin can cast the first stone"

While I have never stuck a cigarette in someone's eye I have done things I am ashamed of now. I think most people do things they later regret. Sometimes you do not even realise what the consequences of your actions could be.

Even just jumping a red light. Do we ever think what the consequences could be if it caused a serious crash and someone got killed.

There have been Rangers players before who have done things that were not Rangers class and were still accepted.

Barton was 18 when he pushed the cigarette in the guy's eye it was 15 years ago. As for getting sent off I couldn't even think of slating him for that as my record wasn't great either. Frustration is probably the biggest cause of getting sent off. Drink is probably the biggest cause of violence.

I didn't know that he played the 12/13 season in France with Marseille and finished second with them too (according to the interview). And since he played 33 games there, he sure was no bit-part player either.

His stats at his various clubs look solid .... http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/joey-barton/leistungsdatenverein/spieler/3292

... but it is how he plays for us and how he behaves these days which counts, at least for me.

He is a cracking player.

I'm curious as to why you are disappointed that he is signing (not trolling just asking dude). I'll be honest, I was a bit mixed about it myself as I feel it could turn into the "Joey Barton" sideshow and I'm worried that if there is so much spotlight on one individual we might in turn lose our overall focus. I'm sure MW is too shrewd for that to happen. Hopefully he'll ask JB to go easy on Twitter as it's only going to be ammunition for the bams up here (on both sides tbh). As a player, I think he could be great for us. We are young team and sometimes a bit naïve IMO, therefore a wise old head pulling the strings could be a great fit for us. As long as it's all about football. Not Twitter

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

No, he just had form for battering his missus, but as long as he hadn't been to jail or assaulted a fellow player is that OK? We also signed Gazza whilst this behaviour was ongoing. As far as I'm aware Barton has fulfilled his sentence & altered his ways.