Next season's first XI and squad

Of the guys who are guaranteed to be here and with those currently leaving (Novo, Prso, Klos etc) is this the best line-up we can start next year?

McGregor

Hutton Weir Webster Smith

Burke Fergie Thomson Adam

Boyd Gow

With subs from:

Gk - Robinson

RB - Lowing

CB - Ehiogu Svensson Broadfoot Papac (?)

LB - Murray (Also a CB)

Midfield - Hemdani Buffel Sionko(maybes)

Forwards - Sebo

(Have I forgotten any first team squad players?)

Anyway, looking at that line-up, i'm happy with AM in goal and AH at RB. I know many fans aren't, but I think they do their job and we have more pressing concerns. If we get a "war chest" from somewhere and sort out all other positions, then look at buying players better than these two. Right now I don't beleive it is a viable option in terms of how we use any transfer budget. However we do need to look at bringing in competition for both positions within our budget.

I actually think the CB position is looking very strong. A quick turnaround there from WS afterwhat PLG left him. Experienced heads of Weir, Webster and Ehiogu who can hopefully bring on the youngsters of Svensson and Broadfoot. Papac may very well be let go.

LB also looks fine to me. Smith is a cracking wee player who can and will improve, and although Murray is not the same attacking threat he is an able deputy who can also fill in in most other positions.

With Rae and Clement off, the midfield begins to look very light. I don't think we have the players to suit a formation incorporating Hemdani, Thomson and Fergie. Fergie has to start whenever fit. Our best and only top class player. You have to ask how likely is it that Thomson will not start most games. WS is not likely to be able to afford many �£2million players, so you would expect Thomson to play. This begs the question, would Hemdani be happy as back up at CM and CB? Or will WS look to buy the players to fit this 4-4-1-1 type formation?

With NN not being offered a new contract as of yet, who covers CA and CB on the wings? Does WS have Sionko in his plans? I'm not so sure. Cover on both wings is a neccessity, although maybe Gow has been bought with LM in mind.

The centre forward position is also a worry. Looking at the available players, Boyd and Gow would be likely first choices. Boyd is guaranteed goals, but you need other goal threats for when Boyd has an off day as is stated when he's not scoring he's not often effective. Sebo and perhaps Buffel (although WS already tried to sell him) look like the only back up. God help us.

Does NN deserve a new contract. Can Prso show he is fit enough for another year?

Looking at that potential first XI it would be solid, but short on quality in midfield and more importantly upfront. The squad would also be severely lacking in depth.

If Prso can prove his fitness he has to be kept on. Depending on other options, it may also be worthwhile keeping Nacho on for another couple of years although I am undecided on this one.

The potential signings of Brown, McCulloch and McDonald are essential imo. They would add some fight to the team and depth and quality to the squad. However it would not fill the other mhob with dread. A potential starting line up may then look as follows:

McGregor

Hutton Weir Webster Smith

Brown Fergie Thomson McCulloch

Boyd McDonald

With the following pushing for a start:

Robinson

Ehiogu (Svensson)

Adam Burke

Prso (For key games and impact substitutions. He couldn't last a full season.)

Novo

I would sell Sebo and Buffel and look at the "problem" positions of RB and GK.

An improving squad but still severely lacking in depth and that extra bit of quality. :sigh:

Certainly, the recent signings by WS and the potential (expected) signings of Brown, McCulloch and McDonald are taking steps in the right direction, but typing this has just made me realsie what more is needed. :eek:

it does look weak, even with the 'better' signings.

mcgregor

hutton weir webster smith

brown hemdani thomson super-lm

ferguson

genuine-european-class-striker

i think that would be a strongish team, but i think its unlikely we'll get a left midfielder of genuine quality, much less a 'can-do-it-all' striker for ferguson to play off with forward runs made by brown and said left midfielder.

all this and peak oil. its depressing times.

it does look weak, even with the 'better' signings.

mcgregor

hutton weir webster smith

brown hemdani thomson super-lm

ferguson

genuine-european-class-striker

i think that would be a strongish team, but i think its unlikely we'll get a left midfielder of genuine quality, much less a 'can-do-it-all' striker for ferguson to play off with forward runs made by brown and said left midfielder.

all this and peak oil. its depressing times.

Started writing that out of boredom, slow day on the board. Got towards the end and began realising just how bad it looks. :(

As you've posted there, two top quality signings for LM and CF and we would be looking a decent outfit. But will we get the funds to bid for and then be able to attract these players? Probably not.

And even if we could, we couldn't afford an injury or we'd be looking just as weak as before. :sigh:

Good post SA and a few of us will have some fun now with our wish lists.

It all depends on who WS has in his plans next season. Its strange but this season reminds me of Walters last season in charge when we went for 10IAR. The team was finished and needed overhauled - but we got that with millions to spend.

I'll naturally start at the back - IMO we need a new keeper. McGregor is great back up but after being spoilt by Woods, Goram, Klos and probably Charbonnier and Niemi then I want a high standard of keeper again. Its a position we have always been strong in and it must continue. For every 2 great saves McGregor makes he has a bad fluff. - The problem is who can we get - Craig Gordon will be out of our price range. Id be tempted to see if Niemi could return as he still has a few more years in him.

At CH 1 of Svensson and Papac will leave IMO. I wouldnt be surprised if it was Svensson as Papac can fill in a LB. But we are looking strong there if Webster signs long term.

The RB position is causing plenty of debate. Some think Hutton is poor some think he is average and some think above average. My personal opinion is he is doing a decent job but there is better out there, but its not a vital position that we need to search for.

LB im happy with Smith and Murray for time being, but ive always liked Naysmith at Everton.

Midfield - The area in the park where we struggle the most with players. Lee McCulloch would be a great signing IMO, he is a solid left sided player who can play upfront. Nigel Quashie is another who I feel would be an asset for us.

Gavin Rae will leave and Sionko should go with him.

Upfront again depends on who goes. Novo looks like he will go and im 50/50 either way but if we dont sign someone better his name will get mentioned lots next season as a guy we shouldnt have let go.

I really hope Prso gets a great rest over the summer and gives us another season.

Scott McDonald is a waste of money IMO and if he partners Boyd upfront then thats a forward line Dundee Utd could probably laugh at.

Our best XI may come in the form of 3-5-2 with the guys in bold needing signed: :)

_______________Niemi____________

______Weir_____Webster_____Ehiogu___

________Hemdani____Thompson______

Brown_______Ferguson_____McCulloch

___________Prso____Lovenkrands______

Good post SA and a few of us will have some fun now with our wish lists.

It all depends on who WS has in his plans next season. Its strange but this season reminds me of Walters last season in charge when we went for 10IAR. The team was finished and needed overhauled - but we got that with millions to spend.

I'll naturally start at the back - IMO we need a new keeper. McGregor is great back up but after being spoilt by Woods, Goram, Klos and probably Charbonnier and Niemi then I want a high standard of keeper again. Its a position we have always been strong in and it must continue. For every 2 great saves McGregor makes he has a bad fluff. - The problem is who can we get - Craig Gordon will be out of our price range. Id be tempted to see if Niemi could return as he still has a few more years in him.

At CH 1 of Svensson and Papac will leave IMO. I wouldnt be surprised if it was Svensson as Papac can fill in a LB. But we are looking strong there if Webster signs long term.

The RB position is causing plenty of debate. Some think Hutton is poor some think he is average and some think above average. My personal opinion is he is doing a decent job but there is better out there, but its not a vital position that we need to search for.

LB im happy with Smith and Murray for time being, but ive always liked Naysmith at Everton.

Midfield - The area in the park where we struggle the most with players. Lee McCulloch would be a great signing IMO, he is a solid left sided player who can play upfront. Nigel Quashie is another who I feel would be an asset for us.

Gavin Rae will leave and Sionko should go with him.

Upfront again depends on who goes. Novo looks like he will go and im 50/50 either way but if we dont sign someone better his name will get mentioned lots next season as a guy we shouldnt have let go.

I really hope Prso gets a great rest over the summer and gives us another season.

Scott McDonald is a waste of money IMO and if he partners Boyd upfront then thats a forward line Dundee Utd could probably laugh at.

Our best XI may come in the form of 3-5-2 with the guys in bold needing signed: :)

_______________Niemi____________

______Weir_____Webster_____Ehiogu___

________Hemdani____Thompson______

Brown_______Ferguson_____McCulloch

___________Prso____Lovenkrands______

Lovenpants... FFS lets not even go there. He was a total waste of money for the best part of his time at Ibrox. He only came to light when he had contract talks coming up. No way IMO....

Also we have Gow and Broadfoot (Gow looks a decent player, Broadfoot we shall see) And as much as I think Prso is a great, he is now getting older, and should be - as with the Hapoel game - used as a sub to come on for the last 25 and run them down... he can do that very effectively, but not for the 90 minutes + needed.

I'd definately punt Rae and replace him with Scott Brown. He's the box to box midfielder we're crying out for. I'm undecided over Novo. Would I like him at Ibrox next season? Yes, but I think he's a squad player and we all know the wee man doesn't like being kept on the bench.

A new GK is also certain. With Klos leaving we haven't got a backup of any experience. I doubt WS will promote Robinson into full-time backup for McGregor.

I reckon we need a strong, tall striker (Sutton, Hartson) who can win balls in the air. Boyd can't do that and Prso doesn't often win many high balls.

Fingers crossed we won't sign McDonald.

anyone convinced any of these are teams that could regularly beat a celtic team strengthened significantly in the summer?

Yeah id have a shout that my team would give them a fair game!!