The punishment must fit the crime

Rangers players and staff being assaulted and spat upon! The Scottish football authorities must take the severest of actions to ensure that they send a message that this is totally unacceptable. The safety of players and staff is paramount and unless a message is given that this must NEVER be repeated then there is every likelihood that a reoccurrence will happen.

The blame lies in part with the weak message shown by the Scottish football authorities following the pitch invasion by Motherwell fans following last season's play-off final. Motherwell fans goaded the Rangers fans who showed discipline by not reacting.

The SPFL showed the importance it gives to pitch invasions by taking 9 months to find Motherwell guilty and it is taking a further 18 months to decide on sanctions. 2 years 3 months to decide on sanctions following a pitch invasion? Laughable! It is an abdication of responsibility. If severe action had been taken then a message would have been sent and it may have prevented yesterday’s assaults but instead the message was that the authorities do not treat pitch invasions with any degree of importance.

There have been attempts to laugh off the pitch invasions as exuberance, but that is unacceptable. Are you trying to tell me that Hibs fans felt any more exuberance at yesterday’s win that Rangers fans did following their semi-final win against their Premiership rivals? No chance.

Fines will not send a message. Fans do not care about that. Punishment has to be much larger than that.

Hibs must be banned from taking part in the Scottish Cup for the next 3 seasons. This will show that the actions of their fans was unacceptable and only then will the punishment be anywhere near the crime.

Only is Scotland would fans who invade the park ,attack opposition staff and players, rip up the turf, destroy the goals and try their best to incite a riot be rewarded with a presentation ceremony, the congratulations of the first minister and allowed an open top bus through the capital.

Disgusting. It's time to say no more.

Edited by trublusince1982

I don't disagree but it will not happen mate. Prize money will be withheld and that will be it.

That is not a preventive action. That does not punish the fans,

I'd also add that it has to be treated as far more than an ordinary pitch invasion. We have seen that in the past, but not players and officials being assaulted to this extent.

A £100K fine? Theywill make that through one home game. It's a slap on the wrist.

Edited by Bluedell

That is not a preventive action. That does not punish the fans,

Mate, we had an SFA board member excuse the action and already the BBC are leading the way in same.

There's next to no chance of a proper censure and, if there is, you can bet we receive similar.

Imagine if our natural exuberance when defeating Celtic in the semi final had seen 10000 of our support enter the field and give 5/6 Celtic players a slap. They would reporting this like the end of Scottish football.

Bbc Scotland are part of a problem that we the Rangers support can no longer ignore

As I said elsewhere .... Hibs and Co. are not exactly cash rich. They will hopefully get a fine, have to play a few games in front of empty seats (i.e. no income) and have to repair the damage done (another cost factor). Not sure what you want the SFA to do according to their rules, but that is what happens elsewhere. I for one would not punish the club and players for the behaviour of their fans by removing titles and trophies won on the playing field, or ban them from the competition. Don't think there has been any precedent for this for decades.

BTW, you would hope that we don't buy any of their players unless this whole affair is being dealt with. Coming to think of it, there is none that I would buy just now (!) anyway.