The punishment must fit the crime

I suspect Frankie may be right. I watched the cover up/stitch up begin last night and went to bed. Disgusted but not surprised. Imho the only option we have, and for me it is the only option, if we get the chance take our club and money and get out of here. I lived abroad for a long time too, I only came back last year and this place has changed dramatically. The whole atmosphere of Scotland as a whole towards our club and community has become poisonous since the political landscape has shifted. The footballing authorities are unwilling or unable to do anything. We are at the point that if one of our fans was seriously hurt does anyone think the media wouldn't portray it as being their own fault?? I said last and will reiterate this will not get better, everyone surely must accept that? We can't change the political/media landscape. It's time we got out and left them to wallow in their hate filled cesspit.

. I for one would not punish the club and players for the behaviour of their fans by removing titles and trophies won on the playing field

Agreed. You can't do that.

, or ban them from the competition. Don't think there has been any precedent for this for decades.

Why not? What's to stop them doing it again? When was the last time thta this number of players got assaulted by fans? A precedent needs to be set now.

Is there anything in the rules that can be used against Hibs then? Just asking.

BTW, I saw people blaming the stewards and the police for letting the Hibs fans on. IMHO, they were a) caught by surprise as this was probably more expected at the OF semi-final so the numbers ready weren't high enough. And b) no reasonably amount of police and stewards would have been able to keep this horde at bay or in the stands.

One of the problems no one has mentioned is giving a club like hibz 20k tickets for the final when they only get around 9/10k for home games usually.

Assuming all their ST holders get final tickets do they know who they are giving these extra tickets to?

I suspect not.

Rangers obviously dont have this problem as we've much more ST holders than our 20k allocation and Rangers know who's getting the tickets

Edited by RANGERRAB

Frankly, and this is something that seems to be overlooked, if you cannot guarantee the safety and security of players, then

you have no "Game". Yesterday, players and staff were assaulted and prevented from taking part in the post match ceremonials,

in the interests of their own safety.

Any sanction must recognise this. The term "exuberance" cannot be used to condone, excuse, or mitigate.

On an immediately pertinent note, how do you sign a player when you cannot guarantee his safety on the field of play?

Mate, we had an SFA board member excuse the action and already the BBC are leading the way in same.

There's next to no chance of a proper censure and, if there is, you can bet we receive similar.

The SFA are partly to blame and will naturally attempt to make this easier for themselves and prefer the media finger to be pointed at both clubs. In doing so some will hope for the Rangers board to not aggressively follow up on their swift and to the point statement after the game.

ie. Manage the media as best they can, provoke particular reactions and kick it into long grass.

Standard political reaction is to instigate an investigation/enquiry and try to control or manage it as best as they can. Rod Petrie's first reaction at the press conference may along with the HIbs CEO's interview with BBC Scotland may work against them because you had senior figures in the SFA & the club not really wanting to take responsibility and in the case of Petrie, refusing outright to label the scenes as 'disgraceful'.

A key factor might be if ever more clear footage emerges of our players and officials being attacked and assaulted. Apparently Sky TV have handed over relevant footage to the authorities connected with what will be criminal investigations and probable eventual charges against individuals.

Regards any individual assaults, it is up to the police to take action and until people are found guilty I doubt the SFA will base any inquiry conclusion or action with them fully in mind (although clear publicly available footage also makes it impossible to ignore). If and when attacks/assaults on our players/officals result in convictions there should be real pressure for the SFA to take appropriate action.

-----------

The most important thing and biggest challenge for me is the underlying issue that Frankie described in his excellent article and pushing it into a public domain that doesn't really want to hear about it or contemplate it. What happened yesterday presents an opportunity to do so but only if we as a support and the club together have the determination, the will and the savvy to do so.

Been following and attending our games for over sixty years and it's sad to see that all clubs in Scotland have their own section of moronic fans the buckie bigots the only way to deal with them when caught Is a custodial sentence a minimum sentence of nine months and for the smoke bomb boys they should be charged under the terrorism act if we have one a minimum of three years locked away

That is not a preventive action. That does not punish the fans,

I'd also add that it has to be treated as far more than an ordinary pitch invasion. We have seen that in the past, but not players and officials being assaulted to this extent.

A £100K fine? Theywill make that through one home game. It's a slap on the wrist.

Tbf I don't think the Club itself. Hibs. had much to do with the matter, apart from ticket sales.

I was quite surprised at the size of their support, and wonder how many celtic fans may have been in amongst them. That will come out after arrests are made I suppose.

I think Prize Money will be withheld in order to make reparation to the cost of repairing Hampden, however, the fans who were there supporting Hibs were the actual problem so they must be banned for a considerable time, home AND away.

As for Petrie to attempt to brush it all off as "exuberance"!!!...he should be hauled up, sober, to explain why he publicly failed to condemn the rioters.

Let him come face to face with our players and officials who were assaulted and let them "exuberantly" assault him. That's how stupid his remarks were.

Gladly we are now in a different league from them so a rematch is unlikely for a while. and apart from the Killie game later, It's also the end of the season.

Anyone taking bets on a pitch invasion this afternoon?

Been following and attending our games for over sixty years and it's sad to see that all clubs in Scotland have their own section of moronic fans the buckie bigots the only way to deal with them when caught Is a custodial sentence a minimum sentence of nine months and for the smoke bomb boys they should be charged under the terrorism act if we have one a minimum of three years locked away

Is this a joke?

Is this a joke?

It may be OTT but we should never get away from the fact that smoke bombs are an accident waiting to happen and should be no part of football.

Why the need to use them and spoil the viewing for those in the vicinity escapes me.