Hi everyone. Putting the end of the game unacceptable behaviour aside yesterday. I would like to look at our team and the way we played. 3 soft goals conceded, which has been consistent all season. Where are the defence? I am enjoying being linked with different players, however none seem to be defensive other than Barton and he is a big if to come now IMO. We desperately need a commanding centre half like the way Davie Weir or Amasouso were. We also need a strong defensive midfield player, I am not sure if Crooks fits that bill or not. Someone who is smart and will not be bullied! Any thought?

MW in his interview leading up to the games was what I thought and mentioned in the SCFinal thread, more candid than usual in his observation that we'd only find out on the day if our preperation had been adequate.

I get the feeling that MW was half expecting that an undercooked Rangers would produce a less than brilliant performance. Not that the mgmt team didn't put in place what they thought was the best possible plan, more what he saw in front of him during the lead-up to yesterday connected to the lack of 100% fit options didn't install confidence.

We have been rather poor ever since clinching the title and beating the Scum. We had a tendency of shipping silly goals (and some of them (but sure not all) were wonder-strikes that the scorers probably haven't scored ever since or before) all season, at times (!) you did wonder whether McCulloch and Mohsni were actually worse.

Point is, we had little cover and flexibility. Kiernan, Wilson and Ball weren't consistently good either, mind you, Ball is 20 and had next to no competitive footie before us. We can count ourselves lucky that the whole defensive line stayed injury free, or we would have had a serious problem.

Yet, I doubt that MW and SDoW will want a repeat of that next season. Crooks will be a help, but we sure need more and will get them. Keeping Ball would be a decent start, but some more exerience is required too. A Barton in midfield wouldn't go amiss either. Right now, we have to wait and see.

Only 5 subs too and one was 17, great to have promising youngsters, but we need strong experienced players too. With leadership on the park. Wallace can't do it alone.

TBH, Wallace's leadership on the park (for quite some time, actually) is taking up responsibility and going forward and scoring the odd goal. I can't really remember him yelling at our players and setting them straight if performances aren't up to scratch. Maybe it isn't his style.

TBH, Wallace's leadership on the park (for quite some time, actually) is taking up responsibility and going forward and scoring the odd goal. I can't really remember him yelling at our players and setting them straight if performances aren't up to scratch. Maybe it isn't his style.

Wallace has been an excellent captain this season and sets an example in the way he plays and how he conducts himself. I'd note that there was talk of him pulling out of the Scotland squad prior to yesterdays game and wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't 100% fit in the Final.

Only 5 subs too and one was 17, great to have promising youngsters, but we need strong experienced players too. With leadership on the park. Wallace can't do it alone.

As said eleswhere here, our squad is extremely thin and had replacements been available I've no doubt MW would have made changes at half time.

MW in his interview leading up to the games was what I thought and mentioned in the SCFinal thread, more candid than usual in his observation that we'd only find out on the day if our preperation had been adequate.

I get the feeling that MW was half expecting that an undercooked Rangers would produce a less than brilliant performance. Not that the mgmt team didn't put in place what they thought was the best possible plan, more what he saw in front of him during the lead-up to yesterday connected to the lack of 100% fit options didn't install confidence.

After calmly reflecting on the game, we probably played better than we should have.

The lack of game play over the past few weeks definitely paid a huge part in our defeat, especially as Hibs had played several "cup finals" in the same period. Like Warbs said, we'll only know which would be the best preparation for yesterday. after the game itself.

Right from the start we had several unforced errors and bad passes...and god only knows what we were thinking at their first goal!

They went on to have many more chances than us and it was credit to all that their win wasn't more convincing.

In this case, match fitness definitely won over technical fitness.

I believe we lost just due to "circumstances" having finished our games earlier than them.

However, if the game had gone to extra time, the result might have been different.

After calmly reflecting on the game, we probably played better than we should have.

The lack of game play over the past few weeks definitely paid a huge part in our defeat, especially as Hibs had played several "cup finals" in the same period. Like Warbs said, we'll only know which would be the best preparation for yesterday. after the game itself.

Right from the start we had several unforced errors and bad passes...and god only knows what we were thinking at their first goal!

They went on to have many more chances than us and it was credit to all that their win wasn't more convincing.

In this case, match fitness definitely won over technical fitness.

I believe we lost just due to "circumstances" having finished our games earlier than them.

However, if the game had gone to extra time, the result might have been different.

We did well to hang-on in the first-half and then Haliday scored a cracker to put us ahead. Somehow we'd put ourselves into a winning position and both teams started to look like knackered boxers struggling to land a punch.

A well taken corner exposed a sleeping defence and Hibs were buoyed and always the team most likely to win it in 90 minutes. When they got that corner in injury time, all it needed was a good delivery for it to be the equivalent to a penalty.