Proposed changes to Football League in England

First post here guys so don't bite my head off.

Curious to get your views on the proposal to add another division to the Football League in England and again the press have been asking down south whether Rangers and Celtic should join. I don't know why they always cite Celtic as well, as they are more than happy playing the big fish in a small pond (as they have done for last few years) and well supported also in the current political make up of Scotland ( one example being Nicola Sturgeon failing to mention the trouble at the final)

Would it be something that Rangers FC would consider, and would the fans? Rangers would be welcomed with open arms with revenue boosts both ways, plus more competition as I'd expect Rangers would start life maybe in Div 1 for a quick promotion into the championship with some very large clubs in there? Currently Villa, Leeds, Newcastle, Wolves, Sheff W, Norwich, Bristol c, Cardiff, and many more with 20-50k crowds each week away and sell outs at Ibrox?

Is it a consideration or just a pipe dream?

I feel the previous punishment of demotion went further than just that, it felt as if the rest of Scottish football supported the punishment not because of what went on, but because of who Ranger are and what they represent. Do Rangers feel wanted or loved by the SFA and the other clubs?

Anyway enough of my ramblings, feel free to pick this to bits, it will be interesting to get your views not those of the press!

Well first of all you have to appreciate that you're raising points which are gone over here on a regular basis plus taking the side of what our views are likely to be on a number of these issues as well as displaying a general disregard for the recent activities of Celtic which we would too and while I'm not accusing you of being a troll that's more or less exactly what a troll would do as a first step to portraying himself as genuine.

Edited by JFK-1

First post here guys so don't bite my head off.

Curious to get your views on the proposal to add another division to the Football League in England and again the press have been asking down south whether Rangers and Celtic should join. I don't know why they always cite Celtic as well, as they are more than happy playing the big fish in a small pond (as they have done for last few years) and well supported also in the current political make up of Scotland ( one example being Nicola Sturgeon failing to mention the trouble at the final)

Would it be something that Rangers FC would consider, and would the fans? Rangers would be welcomed with open arms with revenue boosts both ways, plus more competition as I'd expect Rangers would start life maybe in Div 1 for a quick promotion into the championship with some very large clubs in there? Currently Villa, Leeds, Newcastle, Wolves, Sheff W, Norwich, Bristol c, Cardiff, and many more with 20-50k crowds each week away and sell outs at Ibrox?

Is it a consideration or just a pipe dream?

I feel the previous punishment of demotion went further than just that, it felt as if the rest of Scottish football supported the punishment not because of what went on, but because of who Ranger are and what they represent. Do Rangers feel wanted or loved by the SFA and the other clubs?

Anyway enough of my ramblings, feel free to pick this to bits, it will be interesting to get your views not those of the press!

Welcome to the forum.

I don't think it will ever happen,I said in another thread I was always against us moving to the English league as I believed it would kill the Scottish game,however I would take it now as I don't care about Scottish football anymore

We should have joined the National League in England and worked our way up instead of joining the Scottish League.

That was my feeling at the time and even more so now. I'm tired of the poisonous one sided environment and if this new setup came to anything I would jump at the chance to start a new life in English league 1 just two steps away from the riches of the EPL. Though the fact they would undoubtedly want us as part of a double act would be somewhat irritating. If we get out I would prefer leave it all behind.

Edited by JFK-1

That was my feeling at the time and even more so now. I'm tired of the poisonous one sided environment and if this new setup came to anything I would jump at the chance to start a new life in English league 1 just two steps away from the riches of the EPL. Though the fact they would undoubtedly want us as part of a double act would be somewhat irritating. If we get out I would prefer leave it all behind.

I find it hard to see how Celtic want to join the English League and not their beloved Irish league. That stinks of Hypocrisy.

I find it hard to see how Celtic want to join the English League and not their beloved Irish league. That stinks of Hypocrisy.

Fair point which I hadn't actually considered. We would quickly fit in down there as I don't foresee any objections to Union Jacks and support of British soldiers. On the other hand Irish flags along with praise of Irish terrorists who murdered British soldiers and civilians alongside common general abuse of the Britsh army may not blend in quite so comfortably.

Perhaps, but we'd have to change many of our ways. Any and every song referring to Ulster would provoke condemnation in the media. They'd simply not stand for it and we all know that there are Rangers haters in prime positions to keep highlighting it. Bigot factories are not a way of life down here, and nearly everyone thinks the Catholic/Protestant stuff in Scottish football to be ludicrous and dangerous baggage from centuries ago. When you explain the educational set-up they are absolutely stunned - understandably - it is just not something they are used to and the whole area is a poison that they wouldn't want to import. Supporting Britain, yes, but things like the Sash, BMG far less mentions of UVF and Bobby Sands just wouldn't be tolerated.

I'm not posting this to start a debate on what songs are acceptable or not but rather to point out that tthe whole notion of acceptability would change of of all recognition were we to move and it would take a massive shift from our fans.

No point in giving me stick for saying this, it's just my observations having lived 20 odd years in Scotland and thirty in England.

Edited by SteveC

Perhaps, but we'd have to change many of our ways. Any and every song referring to Ulster would provoke condemnation in the media. They'd simply not stand for it and we all know that there are Rangers haters in prime positions to keep highlighting it. Bigot factories are not a way of life down here, and nearly everyone thinks the Catholic/Protestant stuff in Scottish football to be ludicrous and dangerous baggage from centuries ago. When you explain the educational set-up they are absolutely stunned - understandably - it is just not something they are used to and the whole area is a poison that they wouldn't want to import. Supporting Britain, yes, but things like the Sash, BMG far less mentions of UVF and Bobby Sands just wouldn't be tolerated.

I'm not posting this to start a debate on what songs are acceptable or not but rather to point out that tthe whole notion of acceptability would change of of all recognition were we to move and it would take a massive shift from our fans.

No point in giving me stick for saying this, it's just my observations having lived 20 odd years in Scotland and thirty in England.

I have no objections to anything you have said, it's fair comment and no doubt accurate regarding views in the South but in saying that I still think there is a chasm between Rangers and Celtic fans when it comes to acceptable behaviour or songs. The vast majority of what you mention regarding Rangers fans is anachronistic and likely wouldn't even be understood by the average person in England which given that fact would be unlikely to lead to any offence. How many in the South would have any idea what Billy Boys refers to?

The Celtic support on the other hand have a vast repertoire drawn from recent times which everyone will instantly grasp. They know what the IRA is and they know the IRA have murdered British soldiers and civilians both in Northern Ireland and on the British mainland.

Tack that on to continuing absue of current British soliders and the British army in general one example being not just a total lack of respect for remembrance day but deliberate and abusive actions to disrupt such things as a minutes silence on remembrance day and you're looking at a whole different ball game. How would THAT go down in the South if they happened to have a match in England on remembrance day and disrupted any activities?

And as far as the schools go well i'm as bamboozled by that as the English are but who is insisting on perpetuating that?

Fair point which I hadn't actually considered. We would quickly fit in down there as I don't foresee any objections to Union Jacks and support of British soldiers. On the other hand Irish flags along with praise of Irish terrorists who murdered British soldiers and civilians alongside common general abuse of the Britsh army may not blend in quite so comfortably.

Obviously at Parkhead the carrot of the English pound is more important than the years of History they claim fighting the British rule. We have just had banners supporting the Easter Rising. They would seem to accept English rule if the price is right.