The Sam Ricketts Plot at Craigton Cemetery. Help Required!

During our work on the Rangers Graves Restoration Project we managed to locate the final resting place of Rangers player Sam Ricketts.

Sam was a much respected individual who became an administrator and then Honorary Secretary of the Club in January 1887. He was a huge influence during the growth of the Club and a steadying hand during the turbulent 1880’s.

He's pictured here with his Rangers team-mates in 1877.

1zntvu1.jpg

The gravestone on Sam's plot is lying inscription side down with the head and base of the another stone on top of it.

We have to establish if the stone on Sam's grave is in fact his and then take advice on whether it can be re-erected and cleaned if not then a new stone will be purchased.

We've been given permission by GCC to carry out the foundation work on Sam's and another three plots at Craigton.

Today we're putting out an appeal for volunteers to help clear and turn Sam's stone.

Details are as follows.

Saturday 4th June at 12pm at the Paisley Road West entrance to Craigton Cemetery.

After the work is complete we'll conduct a Tour of the Rangers Graves in the cemetery ,this will give everyone an insight into the work already carried out and what lies in front of us.

We'll then ,as tradition dictates, retire to The District Bar for a refreshment.

If you'd like to join us then please send an email to thegallantpioneers@googlemail.com or call 0790 2855536

Can't join as it's my daughters birthday party however praise to you guys for the work you are putting in, I'm sure I'm not the only bear who is thankful for the hours all you guys have sacrificed.

Stories that my 5 year old son will grow up to hear just like I have done these past few years.

Cap Doffed Bears.

14 volunteers now for Saturday which is just great.

If you'd like to join us just send an email to thegallantpioneers@googlemail.com

As i've said earlier in this thread, we'll also take everyone around the other Rangers plots in the cemetery to see where we are with the project.

We'll distribute fact sheets on the individuals buried at Craigton.

A huge thanks to all who joined us at Craigton Cemetery yesterday.

We cleared the area and turned two gravestones unfortunately neither of which were Sam's.

We have permission from GCC to put in foundations and erect a new stone , this work will commence over the coming weeks.

After the work on Sam's plot was complete we took the group on a tour of the cemetery to give an insight into what the project has been achieved , what we're currently working on and what lies in front of us.

Regular updates will be posted on these pages.

Edited by The Moonlighter

• 2 weeks later...

We're delighted to announce this morning that permission has been obtained from Glasgow City Council for foundations to be laid and a new stone placed on the final resting place of Sam Ricketts at Craigton Cemetery.

Details of this and a dedication service will be announced over the coming weeks.