Rangers Sign Niko Kranjcar

Exciting times!,I'm baffled as to what our line up will look like already?

The midfield in particular is shaping up to be formidable and i'm hoping that can solve a big problem we encountered in many matches once the rest began packing their box. We were totally dominant so many times but struggled to break down those packed defences. I'm hoping this midfield will go a long way to solving that and we may see an avalanche of goals like we did early on last season.

Add to that the recent defensive signings sealing things up at the back and this could be a truly potent side. The opposition still haven't made any counter moves but whatever Rogers does now I feel we will be better prepared than they will for a flying start.

Edited by JFK-1

A Move I Had To Make

NIKO KRANJCAR is delighted to to have put pen-to-paper on a two-year deal with Rangers and insists it is a ‘big honour and privilege’, and also a ‘big responsibility’, to be joining a club of this size.

The attacking midfielder has played for Portsmouth, Spurs and QPR in an impressive career spanning 15 years, but he is now relishing the prospect of pulling on a blue jersey and helping his new club build on their Championship and Challenge Cup success in 2015/16.

With 81 caps for Croatia and an impressive CV, the 2008 FA Cup winner with Pompey has bags of experience at the top level of the game.

But 31-year-old Niko insists there is still so much more he wants to achieve and he can’t wait to get started.

Speaking exclusively to RangersTV, he said: “It’s great. Obviously it’s a big honour and a privilege to sign for a club this size, but it’s also a big responsibility in my opinion because you have to be the best you can.

“You have to win trophies and it’s something I’m really looking forward to.

“You don’t need to talk about how big Rangers Football Club is and I’m really looking forward to the challenge in front of me.

“That’s why I mentioned the word ‘responsibility’, because I think everyone who signs for this club has to know what they are in for.

You have to win everything that comes your way and I’m really looking forward to that challenge and for that responsibility.”

When asked why he felt a move to Rangers and Scottish football was right for him at this stage of his career, he said: “Because the opportunity came around.

“I had a good six months in Cosmos where I chose to go because I thought I could improve on the fitness levels after the termination in Kiev.

“I met fantastic people there that I really have to thank from the bottom of my heart, the way they dealt with the situation.

“I met some unbelievable friends and people, but once the call came from Rangers obviously I started to think it was really a point in my career where I really want to have a good, good go at achieving even more things in my career.”

http://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/move-i-make/

Exciting times!,I'm baffled as to what our line up will look like already?

The likes of Holt and Halliday could become bit part players which is a shame but we need a big squad and as others have said Kranjcar and Barton in for Law and Shiels! I'll take that :)

Is it not the 6th August yet :)

NIKO KRANJCAR is delighted to be following in the footsteps of Dado Prso and his good friend Nikica Jelavic by becoming the third Croatian international to join Rangers Football Club.

The 31-year-old playmaker has put pen-to-paper on a two-year deal having successfully completing his medical, and he hopes he can emulate the success Prso and Jelavic enjoyed during their stints at Ibrox.

As well as becoming fans’ favourites, both strikers claimed SPL and League Cup winners medals with the Light Blues, with Dado collecting his in 2004/05 and Nikica in 2010/11.

Kranjcar knows both players very well, in particular Jelavic who he played alongside at Hajduk Split and with the Croatian national team, and his target is to win silverware in Scotland just like them.

He said: “Absolutely, and hopefully I can achieve as much as they did.

“Obviously they were both fantastic goalscorers but great characters and they always played with 100%.

“I’ll definitely do my best to repeat that.

“[Nikica] was delighted for me, he congratulated me. He said I’m sure I’m going to enjoy it and do well.”

Kranjcar came up against Rangers when he was a Portsmouth player in August 2009 and it is a match he remembers well.

Around 3,500 Rangers fans travelled to Fratton Park to watch the friendly – which finished 2-0 to Pompey – and Niko was not surprised to see so many bluenoses make the long journey to the south coast of England to follow their team.

He said: “I knew it growing up, even back home you watch the Old Firm on TV, I knew a lot about the support that Rangers has as a football club.

“I think I was more focused that day [in Portsmouth] to make a good performance before the start of the season.

“So yeah, I’m really looking forward for the games coming up.”

Kranjcar is fully aware of the demands and expectations that come with being a Rangers player, but he hopes his experiences in England can help him on his return to British football with Gers.

He added: “I really hope so, I think the style of play is going to be similar.

“I do think that Rangers is going to be a team that is mostly going to dominate possession.

“We’re here to fight Celtic and win the league, and it has to be that way.”

http://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/jela-thrilled-im-ger/

The likes of Holt and Halliday could become bit part players which is a shame but we need a big squad and as others have said Kranjcar and Barton in for Law and Shiels! I'll take that :)

Is it not the 6th August yet :)

It should set the bar higher and if the likes of Holt wants to play, he'll have to get to the level required.

Over the years we haven't improved enough players and now, it has to become the norm.

Add value from within instead of paying through the nose for it in the transfer market.

Now we're talking! More like Kranjcar please, and less of the 4th tier English cheap squad fillers.

Harsh - So far we have added:

Joey Barton

Jordan Rossister

NIko Kranjcar

Clint Hill

and

Josh Windass

Matt Crooks

Out of that - who are these squad fillers you speak of? - All I see is experience and a lot of potential.

Joey Barton

Niko Kranjcar

Jordan Rossiter

Clint Hill

Matt Crooks

Josh Windass

All for a combined transfer fee of roughly 370,000 (250k for Rossiter and 120k for Crooks and Windass) - I understand that Hill, Kranjcar and Barton are in their 30's but. even so, getting those 6 players at that price represents, to me at least, incredible business. If you take just Rossiter alone, Liverpool were expecting a training fee of 8 million (if you believe the tabloids) had he moved to an English team.

All this after the squad that Warburton put together last season on a relative shoestring too.

There are no guarantees of success obviously - but I don't think, at this point, we can complain about the quality of signings. I know some think Hill is too old but we definitely needed experience back there alongside Kiernan/Wilson - no guarantees, but each of the signings are of the desired quality, in my mind, to give us a very good chance of success.

I think the manager may actually have a magic hat and a wand.