Rangers Sign Niko Kranjcar

By the looks of it we need a lot more defenders to balance the squad - about 3 or 4 with possibly a couple being youngsters to develop or promoted from the academy. So about two experienced players - a centre and full back.

We have plenty of forwards but I think we still need another experienced number 9.

I think that would make a 30 man squad of:

3 Gk

10 DF

9 MF

8 FW

With younger, less established players making up:

Of course some of the midfielders and forwards are kind of either of these categories depending on how you look at it and where they are asked to play on the day.

It's not the most awe inspiring squad but very interesting for where we are in the scheme of things now.

By the looks of it we need a lot more defenders to balance the squad - about 3 or 4 with possibly a couple being youngsters to develop or promoted from the academy. So about two experienced players - a centre and full back.

We have plenty of forwards but I think we still need another experienced number 9.

I think that would make a 30 man squad of:

3 Gk

10 DF

9 MF

8 FW

With younger, less established players making up:

Of course some of the midfielders and forwards are kind of either of these categories depending on how you look at it and where they are asked to play on the day.

It's not the most awe inspiring squad but very interesting for where we are in the scheme of things now.

Agreed. And it seems the gaffer's thinking is similar.

We'll get a good sense of where we are with the first couple of games. By January, we can then look to bring in one or two more depending on how things go.

Joey Barton

Niko Kranjcar

Jordan Rossiter

Clint Hill

Matt Crooks

Josh Windass

All for a combined transfer fee of roughly 370,000 (250k for Rossiter and 120k for Crooks and Windass) - I understand that Hill, Kranjcar and Barton are in their 30's but. even so, getting those 6 players at that price represents, to me at least, incredible business. If you take just Rossiter alone, Liverpool were expecting a training fee of 8 million (if you believe the tabloids) had he moved to an English team.

All this after the squad that Warburton put together last season on a relative shoestring too.

There are no guarantees of success obviously - but I don't think, at this point, we can complain about the quality of signings. I know some think Hill is too old but we definitely needed experience back there alongside Kiernan/Wilson - no guarantees, but each of the signings are of the desired quality, in my mind, to give us a very good chance of success.

I think the manager may actually have a magic hat and a wand.

Unlike some who wanted to see large sums of money being spent i'm happy with the way business has been conducted for such a small outlay. Given that the bookies when we clinched promotion had us at odds of 8/1 for the league which has now fallen to 3/1 it would appear that they and I feel this team can mount a credible challenge.

And another reason i'm happy with it is that if there is any money in the kitty I prefer to see how things work out with this team the rest of this year then have something in reserve for the January window when we will have a better idea of how the land lies so to speak. The manager hasn't let us down yet and I trust his judgement on this.

If he's still anything like the player who featured regularly in the Premiership and for Croatia then this could be a very decent signing. Only 31 too so hopefully has quite a while left to go.

I expected us to be spending more cash though. I think it's safe to say we don't have much European aspirations based on the current expenditure.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy