Gers Sign Matt Gilks

240616_matt_gilks_01.jpg

RANGERS have today secured the services of goalkeeper Matt Gilks on a two year deal following his departure from English Premiership side Burnley.

The 34 year-old Scotland internationalist is vastly experienced having played for a wide variety of clubs in his career, and arrives to provide competition to current number one Wes Foderingham.

He began his career at Rochdale in League Two and spent eight seasons with the ‘Dale, playing 197 times before being transferred firstly to Norwich City where he made no appearances and then Blackpool in 2008.

Under the management of Ian Holloway, he established himself as the club’s first choice stopper and helped them win promotion to the Premier League in 2010.

He played 18 times in England’s top league in Blackpool’s only season there before they were relegated and Gilks retained his place as top man in the Championship once more.

Whilst at Blackpool, he was a regular in the Scotland squad and would have worked closely with ‘Gers goalkeeping coach Jim Stewart – earning three caps for the Dark Blues.

His most recent club was Burnley who he joined in 2014, but in two seasons there, he has been restricted to just two League Cup appearances.

He will begin training with his new teammates immediately and will travel with the rest of the squad to South Carolina next week for their pre-season training camp.

http://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/gers-sign-matt-gilks/

But improving the quality at the same time

Definitely...the signings we are making are very encouraging...some might not be happy with them but it's where we are right now, in fact it's more than I expected and I'm liking what's going on.

Definitely...the signings we are making are very encouraging...some might not be happy with them but it's where we are right now, in fact it's more than I expected and I'm liking what's going on.

The rebuilding of the squad is going excellent and so far is definitely capable of making a serious challenge this season.

When MW & DW came into Ibrox they have done a superb job and have upped the anti again for this season, I am so looking forward to this season

Edited by ian1964

The rebuilding of the squad is going excellent and so far is definitely capable of making a serious challenge this season.

When MW & DW came into Ibrox they have done a superb job and have upped the anti again for this season, I am so looking forward to this season

I would still like to see a striker added before the end of august. And if we could get mariappa that would be excellent.