Have the Board backed the manager as Promised?

I think this is worth a debate given King's previous mentions of "front loading" etc if required. It also may be the case where MW has made the decision that front loading isn't required we don't know so only throwing this out there to see what the general opinion is.

In:

Kranjcar

Barton

Gilks

Rossiter (£250k)

Hill

Hodson (£100k?)

Windass & Crooks (£120k)

Out:

Templeton

Bell

Clark

Shiels

Gasparotto

Mills

King (Loan)

Ball (Loan)

Zelalaem (Loan)

Give or take our transfer spend has been around half a million. With Barton/Kranjcar we can safely say the wages will be more than what has left the club however does anyone feel we should be spending more to get players in given we are about to break the ST sales record aswell?

IMO I feel we should be in a position to spend upwards of £1M on that one player to complete the jigsaw, a potent striker.

I feel at this stage in our redevelopment they have , until we get on a firm financial footing I just don't see how we can justify spending millions on transfer fees , to be honest I don't think we need to given the state of Scottish football .This season coming will give us a much better indication of MW and his player recruitment , at the moment I'm more than happy

If MW is telling the board he wants these players, and the Board are getting them, then yes.

Remember, we don't as club like to talk about potential signings. There is also the point as to whether our targets want to come to us.

I don't think the measure of how a board is backing a manager can be fully based on transfer fees, it's more whether the manager is able to choose his squad from a certain level of quality - all a fee does is increase the number of players the manager can look at, as they don't have to only take players who just happen to be out of contract or on a free.

£1m doesn't get you a top player at his peak, and in the middle of a contract, it just allows you have a half decent player released with about a year or so left of his contract to run. But it's all about counting up the cost of having that player along with his wages, and subtracting his sell on value.

So spending that kind of money is all about whether Warburton actually finds a player that he wants, that requires the fee and demonstrates enough value for money. It's not about looking for such a situation for the sake of it.

Also spending that kind of money, while peanuts in the EP, is quite a bit of our up front cash flow while we're still running at a loss and basing our finances mostly on ticket sales. Once we've re-established a much higher income from TV and commerce, then we will be more in a position to splash out.

So in the current context, it's a bit of a risk to put that much money on one player; you just have to look at the strange flack McCoist still gets for the 700k on Templeton, even though the net spend was negative for that year - not including about 20m+ worth of talent walking away for free.

The manager seems to have done well so far without spending much in fees, but I agree you can't be expected to find every player for a bargain basement price, so hopefully the money is there if he needs it to secure the right player.

Edited by calscot

The question will be answered when his contract talks are concluded.

If he extends his stay then it indicates he is happy with the boards backing.

If his contract is not extended beyond its current two years then it would suggest otherwise.

Would some be happier if we had paid 5M for the 8 players that have arrived ?

Missing the point completely.

A better question would be, would you be happy to miss out on a Bradshaw (example) as the final piece of the jigsaw because we could not afford the £900k asking price?

I have reservations whether we have that in reserve should it be required. It's not a dig at the board as I'm fully on board with what they have done and are currently doing, as said in the OP it's a debating issue.

I'd like to think the manager has a wedge if he really wants it.

I feel at this stage in our redevelopment they have , until we get on a firm financial footing I just don't see how we can justify spending millions on transfer fees , to be honest I don't think we need to given the state of Scottish football .This season coming will give us a much better indication of MW and his player recruitment , at the moment I'm more than happy

Agree with this. I mean what we seen last season is the current squad isnt far away from competing for the title. What we are missing is experience and some depth and I would also add in a striker. So from what i have seen so far the only thing we havent done is signed a striker but i'm sure i read MW has said there maybe one more to come.

Can't wait for this season, i think Windass, Crooks and Rossiter are ones for the future already at a good standard. and Barton will be great in the SPL imo.

Missing the point completely.

A better question would be, would you be happy to miss out on a Bradshaw (example) as the final piece of the jigsaw because we could not afford the £900k asking price?

I have reservations whether we have that in reserve should it be required. It's not a dig at the board as I'm fully on board with what they have done and are currently doing, as said in the OP it's a debating issue.

I'd like to think the manager has a wedge if he really wants it.

But many seem to want to see headlines about us spending millions and give less importance to getting the right players in. They automatically assume, despite all the negative experience, that if you spend XM then he'll do a better job.

It's a debating issue because there are so many ways of looking at it and angles to come from but I think it's neatly summed up by elfideldo regards the here and now and those directly involved.

At this stage in our development I'm happy with how things are going, it would of course make a huge difference financially through retail if we could rid ourselves of the fat man. We simply must attract and sign another striker though, we can't ask Kenny Miller to do a shift like last season, waggy is not an out and out and we really need a front man with presence. One on a bosman preferably or one that MW feels we are financially able to acquire.