Making the Euro playing field more even...

Platini's plans for UEFA and the European leagues. This could have an impact and even things up a bit (although linking wages to turnover doesn't help even things up given the TV revenues for the larger nations).

From Sporting Life http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/07/03/14/SOCCER_Platini_Nightlead.html

UEFA president Michel Platini has spelt out his plans for a new era in European football including a proposal for 'play-offs' for Champions League qualification.

Platini is proposing a new final qualifying round where there could be play-off-style matches, where the lowest-placed qualifiers from England, Spain, Italy, France, Germany and Portugal would play against each other.

The current system works on seeding, meaning clubs from the major leagues usually avoid each other in the final qualifying round and have easier games against smaller teams.

Platini said: "It's not about disturbing England, Italy or Spain, but about finding a good balance.

"My problem is that the two English, Spanish and Italian teams in the final qualifying round do not play against each other, they play against smaller teams.

"Perhaps the teams from the bigger countries, who have four and three qualifying teams, should play against each other.

"We want to add some of the other countries to the competition and to do that we have take some of the others away. I'm not sure that the fourth clubs from Spain, Italy and England are more important than the champions of Poland, the Czech Republic and Denmark."

Platini's other ideas, revealed in a media briefing in London, include:

Establishing a UEFA strategic committee where UEFA, the European leagues, the clubs and the players' union FIFPro would each have an equal voice in deciding changes in European club football.

Banning players going on loan to teams playing in the same competitions as the club that owns them.

Preventing European clubs from signing players who are still owned by agents or companies - as happened with West Ham and the Argentinian players Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano.

Having tougher penalties for players who damage the image of the game by becoming involved in unsavoury incidents such as mass brawls.

Backing the introduction of a rule where clubs can only spend a percentage of their turnover on player wages and transfers.

Encouraging referees to abandon matches where there is overt racist abuse.

The Champions League proposal will be one of the first issues dealt with by the new strategic committee. The committee has to be ratified by a special UEFA Congress on May 27, but if approved it will include three voices from English football - Football Association chairman and UEFA vice-president Geoff Thompson, Premier League chairman Sir Dave Richards and Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon.

Four clubs have been voted in as representatives by the European Club Forum - Chelsea, AC Milan, Barcelona and Ajax, - and Platini's backing for the strategic committee will give Kenyon a powerful voice in European football.

In relation to changing the rules on loan players, Platini added: "If a player is on loan at one club it is logical for me that he is excluded in playing in the same competition as the club who owns him.

"He should not be able to play in the same league as his own club."

The issue has grabbed public attention in relation to Chelsea's connection with Brazilian defender Alex, who is currently at Dutch side PSV Eindhoven.

The clubs could face each other in the Champions League semi-final but Chelsea say there are no eligibility issues because the player is not on loan at PSV, merely that they have an option to sign him. Proposed changes to the Champions League are set to be debated at the strategic committee's meeting in Monaco in August, before being voted on by UEFA's executive committee the following month.

Any changes to the format would not come into force until the 2009-10 season.

Platini actually has some decent ideas.

He is spot on about the 4th team from England, Spain and Italy not being as important as the champions of Poland etc. Obviously the Polish champs wouldnt make an impact straight away in the CL but after a few seasons of this there revenue would be boosted and they would improve.

Its a fair way.

Also, not mentioned, is his idea that he wants 4 linesman in games. This is something i said about 7 years ago that would improve the decisions of games (if the FA allows them common sense). Id much rather give this a go than have start stop technology.

Platini actually has some decent ideas.

He is spot on about the 4th team from England, Spain and Italy not being as important as the champions of Poland etc. Obviously the Polish champs wouldnt make an impact straight away in the CL but after a few seasons of this there revenue would be boosted and they would improve.

Its a fair way.

Also, not mentioned, is his idea that he wants 4 linesman in games. This is something i said about 7 years ago that would improve the decisions of games (if the FA allows them common sense). Id much rather give this a go than have start stop technology.

What if the two linesmen on the same half of the pitch disagree on a decision, a player being offside or if the balls over the line for example?

Personally i couldnt see this working.

What if the two linesmen on the same half of the pitch disagree on a decision, a player being offside or if the balls over the line for example?

Personally i couldnt see this working.

Thats a bit picky

picky?

What do you mean mate? im just pointing out a possible problem with that system which i think would happen on a regular basis given the inconsistancy (sp) of the referees and linesmen in this country.

picky?

What do you mean mate? im just pointing out a possible problem with that system which i think would happen on a regular basis given the inconsistancy (sp) of the referees and linesmen in this country.

Agreed, i think something has to be done to ensure i higher quality of linesmen in games but 4 of them would cause problems

picky?

Ive no idea why i said its picky - beer was flowing mate :)