Willie Collum selected to referee first Old Firm game of the season

http://stv.tv/sport/football/1366158-willie-collum-selected-to-referee-first-old-firm-game-of-the-season/

Willie Collum will take charge of the first league meeting between Celtic and Rangers this season.

The referee has been appointed along with Frank Connor, Douglas Ross and fourth official Kevin Clancy for the meeting at Celtic Park.

Domestic action resumes on Saturday after the international break where Celtic will look to hold on to their place at the top of the Scottish Premiership.

Collum was criticised for awarding Rangers a controversial penalty in his first Old Firm derby in 2010 when he had his back to Kirk Broadfoot going down softly inside the box.

He was also dropped from officiating Premiership fixtures for several weeks last season after a number of high-profile blunders.

Collum and his team of officials were Scotland's only representatives at Euro 2016 this summer and he returned to the international scene when he took charge of Germany's 3-0 win over Norway at the weekend.

Liewell has already fired off briefs to private dicks and pyschologists for the lowdown on Mr Collum. Meanwhile, wee Willie has boarded up his windaes, just in case...

And Kevin Clancy...? I hate to generlise but I wonder what team he would be rooting for?

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

I watched Collum refereeing an Aberdeen game last season and he was an absolute disaster and that is not looking through coloured glasses, I think he got a 4 match ban for his performance. It was a disgrace. If he Refs like that in an OF game there will be a riot.

I watched Collum refereeing an Aberdeen game last season and he was an absolute disaster and that is not looking through coloured glasses, I think he got a 4 match ban for his performance. It was a disgrace. If he Refs like that in an OF game there will be a riot.

Only if it benefits us!

Willie Collum handed blockbuster Old Firm clash.. six years after death threat hell

And the appointment will be his first Glasgow derby at Parkhead since his heated Old Firm debut in 2010.

Back then Collum was facing the toughest spell of his career after his bow in the Glasgow cauldron was slated.

He awarded Gers a controversial penalty in their 3-1 win when Celtic's Swedish stopper Daniel Majstorovic tangled with Kirk Broadfoot.

Kenny Miller netted from the spot to help send Walter Smith's side three points clear of their arch rivals at the top of the league.

But the Hoops were so enraged with the decision they wrote to the SFA demanding clarification.

Celts boss Neil Lennon also felt Collum should have dished out a second yellow card to Lee McCulloch during the game.

Lennon said at the time: “I think he got a couple of big decisions wrong.

“I’m not sure he saw the penalty claim and I’m not sure why he has given it.”

In the fallout, Collum received threatening phone calls at his home, which he then reported to the police.

Recalling the regrettable episode, Collum told The Scottish Sun last month: “I could count on the one hand the number of people who have shouted things.

"On a Saturday in a stadium warming up and your name is announced you hear the booing.

“As a ref you watch where you go, you’re not out on a Saturday night. Unfortunately I’m a recognised figure and I wish I wasn’t.

“I’ve had difficult times — a lot of abuse, a lot of criticism. But there will always be decisions, controversial decisions, mistakes.

“That’s despite us trying our very best to avoid them.”

However, Celtic's 1-0 victory in December 2011 was less incident packed and he earned praise for keeping a lid on things.

And now, Scotland's No1 ref will be in the spotlight again this weekend as the Glasgow giants face each other in the league for the first time in five seasons.

He will be assisted by Frank Connor and Douglas Ross, with Kevin Clancy his fourth official.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/7232934/Willie-Collum-handed-blockbuster-Old-Firm-clash-six-years-after-death-threat-hell.html

He was criticised after his 2010 debut in this fixture when he awarded Rangers a penalty in their 3-1 win, pointing to the spot after Hoops defender Daniel Majstorovic had tangled with Kirk Broadfoot.

In his only other Glasgow derby encounter, Collum failed to award Rangers a goal despite Lee Wallace's header crossing the line in a match Celtic would win 1-0 in 2011.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/willie-collum-referee-celtic-v-8777811